Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:13 PM

442 posts, read 790,842 times

Advertisements

To introduce myself, I'm a single thirty-one year old conservative male with a middle-income; I also hunt recreationally and own several firearms. I've been eying Nebraska and Illinois recently as possible move destinations (out of NY), however I was drawn to Vermont for several reasons: I have relatives there and I absolutely loved the place when I visited; very scenic and has beautiful small towns. A big attraction to me are the low crime rates and loose gun laws, because hunting means a lot to me and I'd like to feel safer than I did when I lived in NY. Any cities you might recommend? Personally, I'm looking at Burlington. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
Many of the aspects you have listed also were high on my list to relocate here. Depending on your employment the Burlington area is situated well to allow for close access to many outdoor pursuits. Unless you have a specific desire to physically live in "town" you should consider the many other towns within easy commuting distance. It is very possible to find a nice rural setting and still be a very reasonable distance from work/shopping needs. Whatever you choose your budget and financial resources will factor into where you end up. Being conservative will put you in the definate minority, but the liberals which can prove to be maddening are pretty docile compared to many of the countries other left enclaves

Old 04-02-2008, 07:11 PM

130 posts, read 276,810 times
Burlington has a very "liberal" population and I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to enact some type of city gun restrictions in coming years.

Coming from NE/IL you'll find the hunting in VT pretty poor.

That's the bad news.

The good news is:

1. The Burlington area is the exception and you can get from downtown to outside the "metro" area in 15 minutes.

2. Even there, just outside B-town in in the midst of a ton of new homes is the North Country Sportsman Club. It's a twice a week trap and 5 stand club [$50 a year] and see a lot of casual [read hunters] clay target shooting.

3. The majority of the rest of VT is wide open when it comes to guns and hunting. That's not to say it's easy to find non-posted land in populated areas, but rather guns are very common.

I shoot sporting clays and have a practice area on our place. We shoot hundreds of rounds a week and no one around cares a bit.

VT has super relaxed carry [concealed or not] but you don't need one for protection although some like to think you do. There isn't a street I wouldn't walk alone at any hour of the night. But, I'm a guy, women should take more care.

PM me if you have any hunting/shooting related questions and I can try to answer them if you want.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
If you are a conservative VT might wear thin real quick. The gun laws are nice. But everything else is off the lefty deep end. For a nonpartisan conservative opinion I'd suggest reading this for a bit before moving here.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
If you don't need to be near a larger town, I would suggest looking at the Northeast Kingdom - Newport, Lyndonville, St. Johnsbury. While jobs are few and far between, this part of Vermont is what many of us call "the real Vermont" - it's more conservative, lots of outdoorsmen (hunters, fishers, etc) AND its very scenic.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 AM

130 posts, read 276,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
If you are a conservative VT might wear thin real quick. The gun laws are nice. But everything else is off the lefty deep end. For a nonpartisan conservative opinion I'd suggest reading this for a bit before moving here.
Ah, don't worry, just go hang out at BJ's or Dattilios and you'll get a conservative "fix" if you need one or here..... Vermont Tiger

Vermont isn't the "liberal" armageddon some people think it is.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 PM

198 posts, read 802,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
Ah, don't worry, just go hang out at BJ's or Dattilios and you'll get a conservative "fix" if you need one or here..... Vermont Tiger

Vermont isn't the "liberal" armageddon some people think it is.
I lived in Vermont for 7 years and happen to be conversative...it is liberal. As a conservative I felt "on guard" all of the time.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:14 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
I think my part of VT is quite conservative. It's the impression I get because we cater a lot to tourists & rich out of town/second home owners and can't be 'way out there' like some of the other towns.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,346 times
I have a 27 year old daughter that I would NEVER let move here. I moved here from Long Island but that is the place to make a living when you are young. Vt is a beautiful state with huge financial problems. Most people are working 2 jobs to make ends meet. $10.00 an hour is good money!! Drugs are a BIG problem, especially as you get closer to the Canadian Border. Hunting is not the best either. The deer are big but far and few between. Yes, you can carry a firearm but that is not a reason to relocate. It is just not the place for young people. There are only about 600,000 people living in this state. You are a conservative flatlander to the locals. Do a lot of researching before you move anywhere. My husband has a lot of friends that live on LI, NY. He tells them not to waste their time and money coming this way to hunt.

You should read the Vt newspapers online to get a good idea what the pros and cons are. Example: RulandHerald.com Also try WPTZ.com Hope this info helps you.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:00 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
. $10.00 an hour is good money!!.
Yeah (fellow ex Long Islander (but not a rich one) here...

I can't believe how you bust your hump (good LI saying) for such crappy wages. It's a joke, seriously. I told my husband I really cannot imagine staying here 'forever' if this is the kind of money (with the hard work, not goofing off) I am going to make.

I think MY best bet is getting a job in neighboring NH like he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont