Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,107 times

Advertisements

the answer is Yes.

Can you hear how intimidated some of the conservative (or non-liberals) are to even post their opinions? I'm in the Burlington area and it's so liberal it's intimidating to be conservative. People get angry and want to debate. They can't even believe someone may be here and not be liberal. I mean this as constructive info for anyone considering coming here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:09 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
Ditto Boulder Colorado, aka "The People's Republic of Boulder"

Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroplane View Post
the answer is Yes.

Can you hear how intimidated some of the conservative (or non-liberals) are to even post their opinions? I'm in the Burlington area and it's so liberal it's intimidating to be conservative. People get angry and want to debate. They can't even believe someone may be here and not be liberal. I mean this as constructive info for anyone considering coming here...
I think most college town's, including Burlington and Boulder, across the country are going to be liberal/progressive leaning.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 AM

43 posts, read 138,602 times
i didn't read all the replies..sorry if i am repeating.

having grown up in a small farming community, and being a vermonter...i would have to say that many of the people i know are NOT liberal. *i think* that the natives and older people/generation seem to be very conservative. also, it seems that the out of staters that move in, are in fact the liberals.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I think most college town's, including Burlington and Boulder, across the country are going to be liberal/progressive leaning.
I agree. I am in a college town on LI and the area is overwhelmingly liberal. They keep me here as the token conservative

Old 05-13-2008, 02:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I agree. I am in a college town on LI and the area is overwhelmingly liberal. They keep me here as the token conservative
Yes, campus communities lean to the left, but it's kind of funny that many of my former college friends, my wife's, and my older son's, since entering the real world and having experienced work, taxes, military service, and general day to day obligations, etc., have shifted quite a few of their idealistic view points and opinions, some I might add very dramatically.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:25 PM

198 posts, read 801,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmama! View Post
i didn't read all the replies..sorry if i am repeating.

having grown up in a small farming community, and being a vermonter...i would have to say that many of the people i know are NOT liberal. *i think* that the natives and older people/generation seem to be very conservative. also, it seems that the out of staters that move in, are in fact the liberals.
I was an "outofstater" who moved in. I am a conservative. I taught in the public schools while in Vermont for 7 years. I must say, some of the most outspoken, in your face, rude people were the "natives" that were teaching and working there. I am not an in-your-face type person...so it was a not a good experience.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 AM

226 posts, read 693,426 times
As native Vermonters have told me, "Burlington is gorgeous... and so close to Vermont!" As I understand it, Chittenden County now has more than its share of lefties, but historically, Vermont has been republican. (I forget which movie, but in an old black & white movie I watched, people from NYC were about to vacation in Vermont & joking about the rarity of finding a Democrat in VT.)

Chittenden County, however, has enough people to sway elections, especially since temporary residents such as college students, are allowed to vote.

Funnily enough, I was swayed more liberal when I lived in Northern VA, turned off by all the money-grubbing, power-hungry, judgemental CEOs. Now that I've moved to Burlington, VT, I've swayed back to fiscally conservative moderate from all the far-lefts ideologues I've encountered.

Here's a cute cartoon: Ideologue

Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 20,196 times
Angry Actually, I Think the Liberal Issue Does Matter!!!

Who cares about liberals and the laws they pass? I do, and so should every one else!

I heard on tv that, in Vermont, a judge gave a child sex offender a slap on the wrist (six weeks in jail), for the rape of a six year old... ouch!!! (I also heard on tv that he raped a child, again.)

This worries me a lot 'cause, I would think that a lot of sex offenders live there because, they may have heard of the above mentioned case...

Mariposa4249

Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
mariposa...don't believe everything you hear and see in the national news media. There is way more to that story than the national news was reporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont