Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 15,920 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I used to live in VT but moved to California when I got really tired of long, cold winters. Now I am a single mom with 2 kids and can't afford to live here anymore. Plus I miss the small towns and green-ness of VT, and have family there. Am looking for a research/data management job with a pharmaceutical or medical device company. Any possibilities in the Burlington, or maybe Montpelier, areas?

I've kept an eye on UVM research openings but nothing fits so far. Thanks, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 05:21 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,368 times
All I can think of is UVM/FAHC or Akrimax Phamaceuticals in Rouses Pointe in New York state(on the New York Canadian border across the lake from Vermont).

Old 04-29-2008, 01:35 PM

Default tough luck

Thanks for the help. I also checked out GE Healthcare. I guess it's gonna be tough getting a job there . . .

Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 AM

35 posts, read 122,620 times
Are you willing to live in Massachusetts and be within several hours drive of your family, or is your heart set on northern VT?

Mass (Boston, Worcester area and everywhere around, down to Providencce RI too) is full of medical device and pharmaceutical companies, with higher pay than VT and somewhat lower cost of living. The Worcester area and suburbs would have housing comparable to VT in price but with higher pay and lots of jobs. There are biotech incubators and biotech parks all over. But this may be too far for you. I just suggest it as the area is ripe with employment. If you're a single mom with 2 kids you don't want to go somewhere where there are only 1-2 companies, if you get laid off from one, you are stuck...

On the plus side, Vermont has very generous benefits for moms who are head of household - you get tons of tax credits, low cost medical care, daycare subsidies, financial help when needed. I think Mass. is generous but VT probably more so.

Good luck!
R.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:45 PM

Thanks, rem31708, for the sound advice, but I'd hoped to find a job where I could see family in VT on a daily or weekly basis, not get a job and be alone in a strange town. My situation in Calif. has improved this last week (a raise!) so we may be staying here until my youngest is through high school in 4 years, anyway.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:48 PM

Well, congrats on the raise! That sounds great. Maybe in 4 more years there will be more jobs in VT or some way you can do one and telecommute. I work in the medical research industry and mostly telecommute, going in only once/week to the medical center. I guess for clinical research jobs you may have to be onsite, but if you are creative you might find a way to live in VT and work for a company elsewhere.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 AM

Thanks, rem31708! Would you mind telling me more about your career in medical research? I'm currently coordinating clinical trials with patients but would prefer moving to the data side instead of the clinical, as I'm not a nurse, and also don't want the travel required by many positions with pharmaceutical companies. I guess you'd need to PM me about this. Your input is appreciated!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 AM

43 posts, read 138,639 times
What about Stryker? They're in New Hampshire.
I have a friend who commutes from Rutland to Lebanon to get to work.

Welcome to the New Stryker.com : Stryker

Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 PM

Aren't most of the jobs at Stryker mostly low-end manufacturing, though? I am not sure that is what troutlake was looking for? It IS hard to find biomed jobs in Lebanon, I originally moved here for a small biomed company that later went bankrupt, but I then went back to software for a while, then to the medical center. (DHMC). However, Lebanon to Burlington (where troutlake wants to settle) is 90 min, in good weather. Probably almost 200 miles round trip and you have to think of the gas as well as time and wear and tear. Plus, what if a kid was sick from school and you were that far away?

I am amazed that your pal commutes from Rutland - that must be over an hour on a good day in summer? wow. I have commuted 20 min to Lebanon and felt tired of that after 5 or 8 years :-) Not to mention current gas costs. I now commute 10 feet from my kitchen to my dining room home office ;-) I changed careers to make something tele-commutable, as I pm'd troutlake about.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM

43 posts, read 138,639 times
i quickly skimmed the OP. i didn't realize she would be traveling from burlington. def. NOT a doable road trip to NH! sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont