Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 04:39 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

After this Christmas without family, I can't imagine living the rest of my life in Ohio. We all felt it was unsafe for my son to visit this year. Christmas was quiet and pleasant enough, but I can't do this forever.

The trip from OH to VT is a haul. It's not as though he's in Boston. With a connecting airport, although he's flown home from Logan before. It's expensive and not an easy trip.

It seems that our tenure as Midwesterners will be coming to an end. We know we want to sell this house, the steep stairs are getting to us. There are ranches in Ohio, but my best friends are in the Northeast.

Our son is buying a typical New England older, pre-WWII home in Brattleboro, so we know that he's there for the long haul.

Where are we most likely to find smaller, ranch or raised ranch homes? Splits are OK also. Less steps. Less steep. All three styles are likely to have a master bath, which would also be convenient. A finished basement with a bathroom - at least half, would be great for hanging out with the dogs. We have Three dogs a Jack Russel Mix, a mini Dachshund, and a 35 lb. Black Mouth Cur. We also have an indoor cat.

I am thinking that condo life might be good, but my husband thinks most condos won't take us with so many animals. They are part of our family.

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist in Southern VT? I realize these home styles are "suburban" by nature. Is there a border state that is not further than an hour away that would better suit our needs?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 08:37 AM

542 posts, read 702,736 times
There are ranch houses in Brattleboro. Have you looked at available listings? You will find ranch style homes sprinkled throughout VT. My neighbor has one. They were probably only built during the 60's or 70's when they were popular. Generally I associate them with tract housing or developments which I think they were a popular choice for. Vermont doesn't have a lot of that type of development and the design itself with low pitched roofs and generally large single story design is probably not ideal for Vermont winters and heating. That said, there are quite a lot of single story homes though. Not positive what the exact definition of a ranch is. There are a lot of modular homes around. I am not knowledgeable on them other to say I have had friends with new ones which had full basements, attached garages, porches and were really nice inside. Perhaps something like that would meet your requirements.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:51 PM

544 posts, read 940,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
After this Christmas without family, I can't imagine living the rest of my life in Ohio. We all felt it was unsafe for my son to visit this year. Christmas was quiet and pleasant enough, but I can't do this forever.

The trip from OH to VT is a haul. It's not as though he's in Boston. With a connecting airport, although he's flown home from Logan before. It's expensive and not an easy trip.

It seems that our tenure as Midwesterners will be coming to an end. We know we want to sell this house, the steep stairs are getting to us. There are ranches in Ohio, but my best friends are in the Northeast.

Our son is buying a typical New England older, pre-WWII home in Brattleboro, so we know that he's there for the long haul.

Where are we most likely to find smaller, ranch or raised ranch homes? Splits are OK also. Less steps. Less steep. All three styles are likely to have a master bath, which would also be convenient. A finished basement with a bathroom - at least half, would be great for hanging out with the dogs. We have Three dogs a Jack Russel Mix, a mini Dachshund, and a 35 lb. Black Mouth Cur. We also have an indoor cat.

I am thinking that condo life might be good, but my husband thinks most condos won't take us with so many animals. They are part of our family.

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist in Southern VT? I realize these home styles are "suburban" by nature. Is there a border state that is not further than an hour away that would better suit our needs?

Thanks for your help.
I've been looking for something with fewer steps. I saw this in Spofford, NH (not far from Brattleboro). Ticked off the ranch box. Needs work. Has a basement and garage, but the front steps are ridiculous and hideous.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M39784-23471

Old 12-29-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
I've been looking for something with fewer steps. I saw this in Spofford, NH (not far from Brattleboro). Ticked off the ranch box. Needs work. Has a basement and garage, but the front steps are ridiculous and hideous.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M39784-23471
It's nice but I do agree that it needs a bit of work.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
There are ranch houses in Brattleboro. Have you looked at available listings? You will find ranch style homes sprinkled throughout VT. My neighbor has one. They were probably only built during the 60's or 70's when they were popular. Generally I associate them with tract housing or developments which I think they were a popular choice for. Vermont doesn't have a lot of that type of development and the design itself with low pitched roofs and generally large single story design is probably not ideal for Vermont winters and heating. That said, there are quite a lot of single story homes though. Not positive what the exact definition of a ranch is. There are a lot of modular homes around. I am not knowledgeable on them other to say I have had friends with new ones which had full basements, attached garages, porches and were really nice inside. Perhaps something like that would meet your requirements.
Seriously? WHERE? I haven't seen many ranch homes in Bratt. More in North Bennington.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Sure I have! But in our price range, they need work. OR - have one bath - OR no finished basement. I am open to modular homes - (not mobile) We want a house with its' own land.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Sure I have! But in our price range, they need work. OR - have one bath - OR no finished basement. I am open to modular homes - (not mobile) We want a house with its' own land.
What is your price range? What are you willing to pay in property taxes?

Old 12-29-2020, 08:43 AM

Well I am not sure exactly what you need at what price. Brattleboro housing market has been tight with this Covid as people from the cities have been buying homes in the country. A quick search on zillow does turn up quite a number of single level homes in various price points.

https://www.zillow.com/brattleboro-v...oom%22%3A12%7D

Old 12-29-2020, 08:46 AM

I used to drive a cab in Brattleboro, so if you find something, I can probably tell you what the neighborhood is like right around it.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:35 PM

47 posts, read 62,184 times
Lots of ranch houses in the Bennington area. The urban COVID refugees only seem to want large houses with acreage, so you probably won’t have to deal with the bidding wars from the wealthy folk coming from the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont