Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,864,697 times

Advertisements

Driving here in Vermont is a pleasure compared to many other places I have lived. Just remember that the mud on dirt roads can be just as slick as ice. I grew up in Queens, NY and to be quite honest I just don't have this homesickness for daily doses of diversity. I prefer to visit NYC rather than live there to avoid the day to day frustrations. I commute into the Burlington area and to be quite honest the few occasions of aggressive and rude driving behavior I witness corresponds with NY/NJ/MA/CT registered vehicles. I guess its just folks either with bad habits or just trying cram everything they can into hectic schedules. As far as the folks are up here, sure there are some jerks, but far and few in between. Most people just mind their own business and don't display a phoney overly friendly demeanor. But, lets say you break down folks will stop to help or make sure you are OK and offer you a ride even it means taking them out of their way or being late to where they are going. I can't comment too much on the Upper Valley area, but that area has a high per capita income and from experience that can create the atmosphere of being rude or standoffish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 07:40 AM

121 posts, read 564,307 times
Is Norwich considered "richer" than Shelburne or Charlotte?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,288,066 times
I wish I could find the article from a few years ago re: property values. I do remember Norwich was #1. This obviously could have changed over the past few years.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Old Bennington?

Vermont places ranked by per capita income
1 Old Bennington, Vermont $40,884
2 Manchester Village, Vermont $40,851
3 Shelburne, Vermont $37,210
4 Weston, Vermont $36,546
5 Stowe, Vermont $35,474
6 Norwich, Vermont $35,285
7 Landgrove, Vermont $34,929
8 Charlotte, Vermont $33,942
9 Dorset, Vermont $32,956
10 Buels Gore, Vermont $32,533

Old 01-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Those are pretty funny statistics. Where did you find them? Buel's Gore only has a population of 15 or so people!
The statistic I remember seeing was about grand list value per capita (or something along those lines). Needless to say, Norwich is one of the "wealthier" Vermont towns. It's very nice there and is in a great location. It's desirable as it's just across the river from Dartmouth College. Dan & Whit's store is awesome. I like Thetford up the road too.
Are you looking to move to the Upper Valley?

Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM

vter,

We'd like to move to the Upper Valley. Probably Hanover or Norwich if I get into Vermont Law School. We are going to be there this weekend to look around. Trying to pick up as many impressions I can get online to compare them to what we see when we get there. I've visited twice for a couple hours both times. Getting more and more serious. My application is almost done.

A bit concerned about the stand-offishness of Norwich/Hanover people I've been told about on these forums, but I guess everything is relative.

Real estate is certainly not cheap. I can tell you that.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:33 PM

P.S. You would think people in the Upper Valley would be MORE open to outsiders because of the number people coming and going with the changing jobs at the college, hospital, etc. That is why I am surprised by a few different people commenting that they USED to live there and left because they didn't like it.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:18 AM

Speak of the devil regarding the grand lists...the 2005 numbers are out. You can see them on the Free Press's website:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...01/1009&theme=
Norwich is #2 for properties over 6 acres.
I've never lived in the Upper Valley but have been there many, many times and I like it. I don't think I'd live there as I love the Burlington area too much, but it's nice and there seems to be lots going on. You may like it, you may not. It's what you make of it! Good luck getting into VLS. Are you interested in land use/environmental law?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 PM

vter,

Thank you. I hope I get in too. Yes, environmental law.

Yeah, I think we will end up on something much less than 6 acres. I think we'd like to be closer to the center of either town, Norwich or Hanover. You are going to pay a lot more for less, but being new to the area we don't want to end up feeling too isolated. If we like it maybe we'll eventually move farther out into "the wilderness."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont