Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 09:51 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Harry, in the second paragraph you state that US citizenship is highly vetted and the refugees wouldn't dare step out of line. Then further down you state that VT and NH had influxes of refugees that were disruptive and barely vetted. Please explain.

Also, the European refugees you mention came to this country and weren't a burden on the already burdened taxpayers. Don't you feel we need to take care of the needs of our own before we help others, especially now when so many people are struggling?
The earlier examples I provided were from historical periods where the requirements to enter the country were far less stringent. Other than the Chinese Exclusionary act, it was a country that grew by the sentiment attached to the Statue of Liberty. The refugees basically had to have someone in the U.S. that vouched for them and fare for the ship to get them here. The real tightening of borders only happened during the early days of the scare of communism.

Needs of our own: You saw my comment about homeless vets - I find their situation and the way the government "helps" utterly appalling. Heck yes, their needs need to be addressed. However, the government showed the color of patriotism in Washington with the crushing of the bonus army. That is a separate issue.

There are very valid reasons for skimming the cream of the crop from countries where the population is in distress. The obvious one is the government sponsorship of the rocketeers from Nazi Germany. Other reasons can include such things as protecting a potential core of a friendly government if things go pear shaped and then recover, such as England hosting French politicians during the Nazi takeover of France. The current plight of the translators in Afghanistan calls for action that likely will be too little too late. We no longer live in Wilson's fantasy of isolation from world events, and need connections.

As I said, look at the requirements. You may be pleasantly surprised at the obvious intent behind them of bringing in people who will be a benefit to the country and not a burden.

This thread is now going beyond Vermont (historical and present) and into politics, so I will sign off.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:18 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
This is first and foremost a relocation forum. If you want to discuss political issues take it to the politics forum please.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont