Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2022, 08:04 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times

Advertisements

What candidates or issues are you watching next week?

Also, how are things looking in your town? Recovered from COVID or still dealing with the dislocation it caused?

Does your town still do a town meeting, or are you Australian ballot?

I've lived in Montpelier since 1983 and we're a city so I've never been to a town meeting.

We have four significant bond issues, including Phase 2 of our sewer plant modernization and the one that's gotten the most attention, a bond for the city to buy an unused golf course, about 138 acres, for housing, outdoor recreation, a new rec center, and probably a lot of conservation land.

Plus, the mayor and four city council seats. I'm on the council but I'm not up for reelection this year.

Oh, one other thing: this is the first election that non-citizens have been allowed to vote in municipal ballots in Montpelier, so I'll be interested in seeing how much the turnout is. My prediction: not much, not enough to change the outcome of any election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 03:50 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,011 times
Just town and school budgets where I live and there are no contested seats in my town this year, so I imagine it'll be a small turnout. Our town is doing Australian ballot for the 2nd year in a row and is hoping to go back to Town Meeting in 2023.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:57 AM

9,484 posts, read 5,266,652 times
Our town had only town and school budgets (nothing at all earth shattering there - we are a small town and our prop taxes may be reduced a bit) but there is one seat up for election on the select board and one on the school board.

The not-so-latest issue dividing everyone is the topic of race/gender equity studies. We only have an elementary school here but one of the write in candidates seems to advocate some sort of activism for the kiddos.

In the neighboring town, which has a middle/high school combined, there's an active almost 'cancel' campaign against two school board candidates who believe there should be a return to the basics in education and who feel the tone at the school itself is divisive. (one book was assigned that supposedly 'villified' white people and police officers and caused riffs between friends at the school). The activist group doesn't care and have said on their FB page that they don't want people on the school board who 'don't think like them.' Really. And, in an irony completely lost of them, they profess to desire inclusiveness.
This drama filtered over to our town just yesterday with questions for our write in candidates (one of whom removed her remarks about being in favor of racial equity from her FPF post and who has now gone aground).
We're having Australian Ballot again this year (usually we have an in person town meeting - ugh) so it's all over but the vote counting.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:05 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,280,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
What candidates or issues are you watching next week?

Also, how are things looking in your town? Recovered from COVID or still dealing with the dislocation it caused?

Does your town still do a town meeting, or are you Australian ballot?

I've lived in Montpelier since 1983 and we're a city so I've never been to a town meeting.

We have four significant bond issues, including Phase 2 of our sewer plant modernization and the one that's gotten the most attention, a bond for the city to buy an unused golf course, about 138 acres, for housing, outdoor recreation, a new rec center, and probably a lot of conservation land.

Plus, the mayor and four city council seats. I'm on the council but I'm not up for reelection this year.

Oh, one other thing: this is the first election that non-citizens have been allowed to vote in municipal ballots in Montpelier, so I'll be interested in seeing how much the turnout is. My prediction: not much, not enough to change the outcome of any election.
What method was put in place to assure that these non-citizens are not able to vote in the State and National elections?

All is quiet in my Town. Some, including myself, are worried about the gas prices going so high bc it is taking a huge chunk out of our earnings.

A retired teacher is running for the school board because he feels the children aren't getting the education they should. He listed three concerns....They don't give homework anymore, they get to take quizzes and tests over again and are still failing, and essays don't have a time limit when they have to be turned in. Understandable issues of concern.

No Town Meeting this year.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:51 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times
Good question.

The noncitizens (and this applies only to legal residents) are not being added to the voter checklist, but to a separate list. Not only are they not allowed to vote in state or national elections, they are not allowed to vote in any elections that are not for the city of Montpelier. This includes school board and budget elections for the Montpelier-Roxbury school district, board and budget elections for the Central Vermont Public Safety Authority, and an election being held related to the creation of a new district for the tech ed center.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:48 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,323,679 times
I had Frank Bryan for a political science course a bajillion years ago. He’s the authority on Vermont town meeting. My recollection was he always said that town meeting is the most democratic way of governing ever invented. It’s worth Googling him and watching some clips if you have the time. There’s an interview from when he published his book. A bit dated since it was ~ 20 years ago but an interesting read.

https://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/077977in.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: