Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 PM

20 posts, read 107,684 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the NH/VT area. (We're still looking, so please don't hate me for cross-posting to the NH board). I'm wondering how the job situation in VT is for our two fields.

I am a high school English and Latin teacher. He is a book designer/graphic designer (who prefers to work in books/magazines rather than advertising). We would both prefer to live and work in-state, rather than having to commute to Boston. (Or is that just way too far?) Of course, telecommuting (for him) is always a welcome option.

Any info on job availability, locations/industry areas, salaries, suggested resources, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to gather some general statistics, but they are never as reliable or helpful as actual experience.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,011 times
Hmm...I wish I could be more specific, but can only tell you to look into the Burlington area and the Upper Valley (White River Jct area), and possibly Montpelier. Those are two fields that I don't really know much about job-wise!
For job listings in the Burlington area check out www.burlingtonfreepress.com and www.sevendaysvt.com

Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,947,198 times
Those sites are solid recommendations vter. I have always assumed that teaching, like nursing, would land someone a job about most anyplace and with the advent of telecommuting Pondering could live way up in Canaan and still make it. She definitely has some good options.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 AM

Thank you very much for the suggestions, vter. I'm keeping tabs on the Burlington Free Press, but I had never heard of Seven Days. Very helpful.

As teaching goes, square peg, it kind of is that way but depends on your subject. If I taught math or science, I could find work almost anywhere. But stupid me had to be good in the humanities -- in many areas, we're a dime-a-dozen. Add my husband's job, which is even more specific and region-limited, and it poses a challenge.

If only I taught math and he were a CPA, we'd be set.

Thank you both!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:53 AM

Will you be able to visit both states before you make a move? Vermont and NH, while look similar on the map, are very, very, different. Different landscape, different vibe, different politics etc.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 AM

Oh yes! We won't be moving blind, vter. We have friends in both states, so we've spent lots of time in both -- each has different features that we like. Right now we're on the fence over which features should take more priority, so we're going to be exploring more fully with a potential-home-scouting road trips. We're also considering parts of upstate NY and MA, so we have a lot of road trips ahead of us.

Wherever we go, I don't want to fall in love with a place where there's just no possibility for work (counter-productive), so we're aiming to start our search with major work areas and then branch outward. Otherwise we won't be able to live anywhere for very long.

I've been reading through lots of posts on the NH/VT preference debate, but may I ask your own reasons for choosing VT, vter?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 AM

I was born and raised here, went to school at UVM. Moved to Boston after college...last 6 years.....was so sick of the city and the area, so I moved back home!

Old 01-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Heh. VT through and through. Excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: