Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 AM

43 posts, read 138,732 times

Advertisements

target and trader joe's

Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
I would agree with Trader Joe's!

That's one thing I would love, but I am looking forward to supporting all the local businesses and co-ops/markets...I do it down here in NYC and I'll continue the trend (even more so) in VT.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:37 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,346 times
Lake George has all the stores mentioned. I shop at the Walmart over there because you have a better variety and it is MUCH cheaper. Even the Price Chopper is better. It pays to go there, even with the extra gas expense. Pennys has much more variety also. The small local stores are nice, but my husband and I work to hard for our money. I am not about to pay double the amount at a local store. I would like to see some of these chain stores reopen in existing empty buildings instead of building brand new. Where I used to live Target built a huge store. There were empty stores all around the area they could have bought. I will not shop at Target for that reason. My daughter shops at Trader Joe's all the time. I would love to see a Borders Books, a Crate and Barrel, Marshalls, a Sam's club or BJs, and a Lowes. Instead of giving the money to the local stores who are tripling the cost of their products, I would rather spend less at a chain store and give the savings to a local humane organization or a food pantry for the poor. They need all the help they can get right now. In all reality, I think most of us are going to be wishing for these chain stores next winter. I heard the gas prices are going up to $6.00 a gallon by the end of the summer. Lilybean, you will probably be the only one shopping at those local stores. Getting back to the original question though, I would love to see a Macy's, not like the crappy one in Burlington. Also an Ulta so I can get my Redken products at a discount. I just don't want them to kill any trees in the process!! LOL

Old 05-22-2008, 07:40 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
Local is BS. Without trade humans are living in caves and subsistence farming/gathering. I've yet to hear a local advocate define local, is it a certain geographical radius or does it follow artificial lines such as towns/states? And if local is so great why not draw the circle around your house and make/grow everything(including cars, energy, and appliances) you need. Wonder what that will do to your standard of living. I've nothing against co-ops, as long as co-op members aren't keeping other stores from being built. I'm glad some co-ops are cheaper, but that certainly isn't the case for ours(Hanover/Leb.)

Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
I would agree with Trader Joe's!

That's one thing I would love, but I am looking forward to supporting all the local businesses and co-ops/markets...I do it down here in NYC and I'll continue the trend (even more so) in VT.
I thought that way until I lived here for about a year or so. When you start dipping into your savings on a monthly basis you start to think differently.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I thought that way until I lived here for about a year or so. When you start dipping into your savings on a monthly basis you start to think differently.
Bingo! Three years ago I arrived with also the intent to be the socially responsible good citizen and neighbor from my experiences from visiting and hiking here over the past 25 years. Now, after three years and reflecting on how much I had to dip into precious savings to supplement income in order to cover expenses here, coupled with the nasty impact that the economy has dented my retirement plans, I can say that virtually none of my discretionary income remains in state. This is not out of some quirky protest, it simply reflects that when I need something, be it a book or a dehumidifier, I will almost always find it on line and hence order it saving usually on shipping and tax charges as well as the intial cost of the product itself. I feel bad for the local merchants, but business is business, and my household cannot survive with poor decisions and red ink spending.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
Interesting! All the negative postings and stereotyping have not altered my opinion about loving Vermont, feeling at home here, buying mostly local (while also buying less in general), appreciating what I have, and enjoying my life here.

These frequent negative postings have taught me that some people feel sad and bitter while preferring criticism to working for positive change. Such postings have also diminished my interest in these forums. It seems discussions that inspire genuine exchange also stimulate a backlash of name-calling and stereotyping.

I do not speak of postings in which people describe their personal woes, challenges, and experiences. These I gladly read and respond to when I have something to say. I speak instead of the ones that paint Vermont and Vermonters with broad strokes that neither reflect my experience here nor teach me anything about improving my own life or community.

Hey, it's as important for me to know where not to seek connection as it is for me to travel trails toward that treasure. Clearly these forums provide a needed sounding-board for those who want to express negativity toward other people and places. And so I leave it to them.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 05-22-2008 at 08:47 AM..

Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,036,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Instead of giving the money to the local stores who are tripling the cost of their products, I would rather spend less at a chain store and give the savings to a local humane organization or a food pantry for the poor. They need all the help they can get right now.
People need jobs. Shopping at these places produces lot's of jobs- in CHINA.

I do not nderstsnd why everyone says there are no jobs, and can't find work, and the factories are closing, and then in the next breath say they go to WalMart because they can get chap imported stuff. Folks, there IS a connection.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM

32 posts, read 134,905 times
Sherylcatmom,

I hope you reconsider leaving this forum; I myself do not post much but I have really enjoyed your considerably balanced, helpful and well thought out responses.

Mary

Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
eek! My intention for this thread was not to have it turn into a local vs. national retailer, but I guess it's inevitable, and it certainly is an interesting topic.
IMO, I think there is room for both. Consumer choice is a good thing. I would say our disposable income and money for neccesities is spent 50/50 - locally being locally owned restaurants, farm/garden stores, and later this summer, farmstand/farmers market. Nationally being mostly at the grocery store (Shaws or Hannaford).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont