Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:47 AM

231 posts, read 869,757 times

Advertisements

Cracker Barrell
Target
Arby's
Bass Pro Shops

Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 AM

267 posts, read 1,836,224 times
Ooooh, I love Cracker Barrel. Especially their chicken and dumplings. Mmmmm!

How about The Cheescake Factory, Sonic, Forever 21 and CVS.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
People need jobs. Shopping at these places produces lot's of jobs- in CHINA.

I do not nderstsnd why everyone says there are no jobs, and can't find work, and the factories are closing, and then in the next breath say they go to WalMart because they can get chap imported stuff. Folks, there IS a connection.
I couldn't have said it better. Folks should start looking at the "Made In XXX" labels before they purchase products. Nuts! Even shrimp is being imported from overseas! Other nations are gradually tightening their stranglehold on the American economy.

Believe me, I do understand trying to stick to a budget and squeezing as much value out of every dollar; I am not unsympathetic nor am I unfamiliar with the daily battle of the budget.

We as a people need to start reconsidering what we feel is a necessity and what isn't. I went out to purchase a new cruiser bicycle (my old one, a mountain bike, is impractical for running errands.) The local bike shop won my business with his helpful demeanor, his no nonsense approach and his patience. I found a suitable model (Electra brand) and we struck a deal. Imagine my shock when I learned (after the fact) that my new American bike was manufactured in Taiwan My husband ordered his Schwinn bike online from a company in San Diego; the bicycle box read "Made in China" I was disgusted! Here we are, trying to conserve gasoline and we ended up with two Made in China bicycles. UGH!

If I were to go to Target, WalMart, Sears, etc., I would have had almost the same problem as I did going to the local retailer. At least I take some small satisfaction knowing that the local man made the profit as opposed to a big box store.

Now to answer the $64K question: I would love to see Trader Joes in VT.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Ooooh, I love Cracker Barrel. Especially their chicken and dumplings. Mmmmm!

How about The Cheescake Factory, Sonic, Forever 21 and CVS.
CVS is sprouting up all over LI like mushrooms after the rain. While I like CVS, I find it no different from Walgreens, Duane Reade, Eckerd, etc.

Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, Chilis, TGIFridays, CA Pizza Kitchen, and other such chain restaurants are mediocrity for the masses. Nothing new or exciting, just sodium laden foods, radiated beef, prefabbed food made elsewhere. There are some amazing local restaurants in VT that are certainly well worth the tab. For example: in Ludlow DJ's, Little Harry's in Mount Holly, Pascal's Bistro in Pawlett (highly recommend Pascal's!!!!) even Curtis' BBQ in Putney (or the new spot in Chester) is wonderful. Curtis' ribs blow the doors off of any schlock they could plop in front of you at TGIF...

(OK, I will admit a strange fondness for biscuits and gravy at Cracker Barrell. So much for practicing what I preach! LOL)

Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Ironically, I can't stand Cracker Barrel. I'm probably the only one! I'll pick it over other fast food places on the side of the road if I have no other options, but I feel like everything on the menu just tastes the same...overcooked in tons of butter and too salty. But it's definitely a personal preference.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM

My husband feels the same way as you, tkln!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM

35 posts, read 195,309 times
ikea......

Old 05-28-2008, 05:26 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
There are 2 Ikeas in Montreal....about 2 hours north! Thats where I go when I need my Ikea fix

Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I couldn't have said it better. Folks should start looking at the "Made In XXX" labels before they purchase products. Nuts! Even shrimp is being imported from overseas! Other nations are gradually tightening their stranglehold on the American economy.
My husband and I bought a Mahindra Tractor for about $24,000. Sure, we could have looked "oh so American" working our land in a John Deere. Why would we spend over $10.000. more for a tractor that has the same Japanese motor as the one we own now. To make matters worse, John Deere nickels and dimes the customer to death. The Mahindra dealership went out of their way to help us. When you go to JD, they act like they're doing you a favor. Also, our tractor is made of metal, not plastic. I don't feel that it should cost more to buy American and I am not about to spend over $10,000 to impress my neighbors. They didn't care who made our tractor this past winter when we plowed the snow out of their driveways. I feel helping our neighbors is showing how American I am.
We also have a Ford (very American?) tractor. The ID plate states that it was Made in Japan.
If anyone wants to purchase only American made products, carry a magnifying glass in your pocket, make sure you look at AND under the hood and do alot of research. You may be surprised!!

Last edited by NYLIER; 05-29-2008 at 06:46 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
Quality and cost almost always is the overriding factor in purchases that I make especially for durables. I bought three pieces of Honda equipment upon moving here, but I did buy it here in Vt after checking out three separate dealers. Unfortunately there is virtually nothing that you can buy that is soley produced from raw material to finished product which is made in the US. It's just the way the global economy has changed over the past decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont