Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
You are soooo right...the newer bikes don't leak as much. You are so much more into it then I ever was. I rode for a few years. Went to Sturgis one year, which was an experience I will never forget. Oh, and Tara's in Port Jefferson. LOL You know what always made me crazy....seeing a group of men in leather standing around a bike, just staring at it. My husband and I couldn't stand the HD stickers or even the flashy black teeshirts. Funny thing, never was afraid to ride that Harley but am terrified when I get on my horse. I guess because I'm getting older.
Tara's -- I believe that place will still be here long after we're all pushing daisies. I know what you mean about guys in leather standing around a bike. I guess they don't realize just how silly they look

As for the shirts, our friends and clients have been bringing home my hubby HD shirts from their travels. I've bought box frames and hang the shirts framed in the garage. The back art on some is rather interesting; the HD of Scotland shirt being my favorite. One thing that is irritating (going back to the buy American theme) is that the Tees aren't made in the USA. Sheesh! Even HD is outsourcing. LOL

Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
For Cinnabon, you might try heading over to the NYS side of things - I know on the thruway they have them at the rest stops, but not sure how far north that carries...
hmmmm...on one of my NY-VT runs, I'm going to have to smuggle some Cinnabon to everyone! Seems only fair, as I am bringing back gobs of maple syrup and smoked bacon to LI.....

Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 AM

44 posts, read 91,704 times
We've got one at the University Mall here in Burlington! I'm more of an Auntie Ann's guy, myself. There's something about a hot pretzel (plain or flavored) with a variety of dipping sauces that makes it hard to say no.
Would be nice to have a Sonic or a Checkers here, though. Plenty of room on Shelburne Road.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM

459 posts, read 1,037,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
No big box stores. If I had my way, none would exist anywhere.

Gypsy, do you see how you have been brainwashed by advertising? Locally owned retail stores aren't tourist traps. They are local retail businesses.

Local businesses provide character and variety. They are what make places nice. Chain stores destroy the character of a place.

If you really want to order some product, the internet is always there.

If I had to insist on a chain store, Tiffany's would be cool.
It's the "you've been brainwashed because you didn't know everyone must have a trust fund to live here" mentality that is ruining this state.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
People need jobs. Shopping at these places produces lot's of jobs- in CHINA.

I do not nderstsnd why everyone says there are no jobs, and can't find work, and the factories are closing, and then in the next breath say they go to WalMart because they can get chap imported stuff. Folks, there IS a connection.
Because the "local" stuff is for the upper middle class only.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Because the "local" stuff is for the upper middle class only.
Not my experience at all. The people I know who, like my husband and me, are committed to buying locally whenever possible, are anything but upper-middle-class or above. Instead, we buy only what we need (no shopping for "recreation" or to collect things we may want but don't need) and seek quality for best, longest-lasting products. We also strive to support each other's local businesses.

Example: My husband and I attended the beautiful wedding of friends last weekend. They married at the Vermont Inn, which is locally-owned and affordable (also where my husband and I married 10 years ago). For our friends' wedding gift, we checked their registry and selected a fruit knife they wanted from Bed, Bath and Beyond (national chain) and then went to the Catamount Artists Cooperative where we selected a beautiful wooden cutting board and matching serving utensils made by a local craftperson and affordable to us. We added some local apples and pears to the gift basket.

We don't dis Bed Bath & Beyond when that's the place to get something, nor do we whisper about the other people shopping there. Why attempt to stereotype people who buy locally?

At our local food co-op, where pre-packaged designer foods are high-priced just like at the grocery, we buy groceries in bulk and focus on local and regional growers and producers -- and ingredients instead of finished foods. Not only is that cheaper than buying packaged supermarket foods, but it's fresher and tastier. Those who need a further break on prices put in hours volunteering at the co-op for greater discounts and other benefits. The co-op also gives generously to the local food banks.

Sure, there are people in the upper-middle-class and above who also appreciate this kind of consumption. But the majority of folks I see are individuals and families of all ages with modest incomes. There's just no point in generalizing.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 09-25-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffinthecity View Post
We've got one at the University Mall here in Burlington! I'm more of an Auntie Ann's guy, myself. There's something about a hot pretzel (plain or flavored) with a variety of dipping sauces that makes it hard to say no.
Would be nice to have a Sonic or a Checkers here, though. Plenty of room on Shelburne Road.
U Mall is in SB.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 PM

47 posts, read 108,715 times
buy online and save

slickdeals.com is very helpful when trapped in a state that pushes local expensive crap down your throat.

Buy your booze in NH.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 PM

47 posts, read 108,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Not my experience at all. The people I know who, like my husband and me, are committed to buying locally whenever possible, are anything but upper-middle-class or above. Instead, we buy only what we need (no shopping for "recreation" or to collect things we may want but don't need) and seek quality for best, longest-lasting products. We also strive to support each other's local businesses.

Example: My husband and I attended the beautiful wedding of friends last weekend. They married at the Vermont Inn, which is locally-owned and affordable (also where my husband and I married 10 years ago). For our friends' wedding gift, we checked their registry and selected a fruit knife they wanted from Bed, Bath and Beyond (national chain) and then went to the Catamount Artists Cooperative where we selected a beautiful wooden cutting board and matching serving utensils made by a local craftperson and affordable to us. We added some local apples and pears to the gift basket.

We don't dis Bed Bath & Beyond when that's the place to get something, nor do we whisper about the other people shopping there. Why attempt to stereotype people who buy locally?

At our local food co-op, where pre-packaged designer foods are high-priced just like at the grocery, we buy groceries in bulk and focus on local and regional growers and producers -- and ingredients instead of finished foods. Not only is that cheaper than buying packaged supermarket foods, but it's fresher and tastier. Those who need a further break on prices put in hours volunteering at the co-op for greater discounts and other benefits. The co-op also gives generously to the local food banks.

Sure, there are people in the upper-middle-class and above who also appreciate this kind of consumption. But the majority of folks I see are individuals and families of all ages with modest incomes. There's just no point in generalizing.
That is why the Price Chopper on Shelburne Road is a packed house 24/7 ...people are broke lady and cannot afford this VT Local Only crap. Most folks in VT are not upper middle class. Wake up out of your pipe dream that everyone should buy VT and live in a hippie utopia.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxtrot View Post
That is why the Price Chopper on Shelburne Road is a packed house 24/7 ...people are broke lady and cannot afford this VT Local Only crap. Most folks in VT are not upper middle class. Wake up out of your pipe dream that everyone should buy VT and live in a hippie utopia.
I just can't come up with a reply to this.....I can't stop laughing. I shop at the Price Chopper in Barre, it's awesome, also the Shaw's here in Waitsfield. Most people I know don't make alot of money, including myself so we buy the deals and do just fine. I also try to buy local too as that is supporting everyone by creating jobs in Vermont as just one benefit.

It is more expansive for sure but if you had any clue about the cost for producing local vs the big corp you'd know why it has to be.

Also, where exactly is this hippie utopia you speak of? Waiting for the best troll reply you got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont