Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 07:37 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

I live in northern Vermont and although I never really see any deep dives on this forum, I am curious about what others might be seeing in their local school boards, if anyone is willing to discuss or opine here.

To be as brief as possible - a neighboring middle/high school (where kids generally go after they leave our elementary school) has been embroiled in a controversy over flying the BLM flag at that school. It has been flying for at least a year, IIRC. However, there was really no 'flag policy' in place and parents who were opposed to the flag wanted the school board to articulate one. It appears state law says only the American flag and the VT state flag can be flown on a 'district' flagpole and based on the advice of their attorney, it appears the flag will be taken down. They have to have a second reading if I understand the process correctly, and this will be done at the next meeting.
In addition to the flag issue, a few sets of parents have complained about racial activism in the classroom, with one particular teacher singling out a child and wanting to know the parents' political leanings. Another controversial topic was some of the reading material assigned, in particular a book that was unfavorable to law enforcement.

One of the school board members made a statement that any of his fellow board members who agree with taking the flag down are racist and he used that word. (These meetings are recorded.) He was challenged by two of the women (one I think might have been the secretary and the other a newly elected member who represents a more conservative view). The new member expressed how divisive she felt this was and questioned how they are all supposed to work together in this climate. He doubled down when asked to clarify his statement. He also opined that this action belittles the students and stifles their voice. The board chair said nothing.

There are, of course, students in attendance at these meetings and they speak about various school related topics. There is also a group called the Racial Justice Alliance.

A local group (Neighbors for Racial Equity) have asked that everyone show up to the next meeting to agitate for the BLM flag (which may wind up on a different flagpole, as it's been proposed that they privately fund another pole and put the flag there).

To me this situation just gets more negative and divisive as time goes on and the clashes between neighbors more contentious.
Do any of you experience this with your local school boards? Or maybe a better question would be, have any of your school boards been able to find a way to work together without the inflammatory rhetoric?

apologies this is so long. I have no one to speak to about this as most people I know in my area are very liberal (for lack of a better way to characterize this) and they don't see anything wrong with the infighting. I guess they feel it's part of the struggle. My personal feeling is that this behavior is just promoting more of the animosity we see all over society these days. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 07:48 AM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Unfortunately, Vermont has been a practice ground for this kind of political agitation. Bernie crawled up from Brooklyn decades ago because it was easier to become a politician there. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse if they allow that flag on a district flagpole, and the other matters you discussed, to continue. Vermonters now in their twenties grew up being conditioned in school with catch phrases like "white privilege" in a state where (white) dairy farmers and others were killing themselves to scrape together barely enough to survive. It's absolutely absurd.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
Unfortunately, Vermont has been a practice ground for this kind of political agitation. Bernie crawled up from Brooklyn decades ago because it was easier to become a politician there. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse if they allow that flag on a district flagpole, and the other matters you discussed, to continue. Vermonters now in their twenties grew up being conditioned in school with catch phrases like "white privilege" in a state where (white) dairy farmers and others were killing themselves to scrape together barely enough to survive. It's absolutely absurd.

Thanks for your feedback, Ann. I've only been here 20 yrs - LOL - but when we first moved here Gov Douglas was newly elected and things in Montpelier, and even in Burlington, seemed much more even keeled as did general 'local politics' like school board and select board matters. People worked together.

I agree with you that the 20 somethings, and even kids in middle and high school now, have grown up with an activist orientation, and in my neck of the woods, it really ramped up after the George Floyd killing. Everything became about BLM, anyone white was a racist who didn't know they were racist, and one student of color from the local middle/high school, which I spoke of in my OP, wrote a commentary that was shared with the public where he called his white neighbors, teachers and classmates his 'oppressors.' He was a well loved sports star. Wokeness has taken hold, not unexpectedly of course, and it's become cumbersome and uncomfortable to speak with people, especially if you don't know them well, because you may inadvertently say something that is found offensive or ignorant or evidence of your inherent racism, yada yada yada.

Controversy surrounding any and all LGBTQ+ issues has added another layer.

But back to the BLM flag at the school. The board seems poised to take the BLM flag down from the 'district' pole based on attorney guidance and to conform with State of VT regs and the activist board member insisted that the policy be called the 'flag pole' policy, not the 'flag' policy. whatever. The local racial equity group is calling for protestors to show up at the next school board meeting (when they denigrate parents attending school board meetings and expressing concern over controversial cirriculum - irony lost on them!)

Even though I don't have children in that school, I am going to attend to observe and see if there is any move towards civility and consequences - if that's the right word - for this misbehavior, both on the part of the school board member and activist teachers.

Thank you for listening. Perhaps others will give feedback about their experiences on local school boards.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:30 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
What law is it that prevents a school district from flying the BLM- or any other "political" flag? If this is a law why do so many districts not follow the law? Why are some Vermont politicians trying to pass a law banning BLM flags- and other flags- from being flown on school property if it is already against the law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Thanks for your feedback, Ann. I've only been here 20 yrs - LOL - but when we first moved here Gov Douglas was newly elected and things in Montpelier, and even in Burlington, seemed much more even keeled as did general 'local politics' like school board and select board matters. People worked together.

I agree with you that the 20 somethings, and even kids in middle and high school now, have grown up with an activist orientation, and in my neck of the woods, it really ramped up after the George Floyd killing. Everything became about BLM, anyone white was a racist who didn't know they were racist, and one student of color from the local middle/high school, which I spoke of in my OP, wrote a commentary that was shared with the public where he called his white neighbors, teachers and classmates his 'oppressors.' He was a well loved sports star. Wokeness has taken hold, not unexpectedly of course, and it's become cumbersome and uncomfortable to speak with people, especially if you don't know them well, because you may inadvertently say something that is found offensive or ignorant or evidence of your inherent racism, yada yada yada.

Controversy surrounding any and all LGBTQ+ issues has added another layer.

But back to the BLM flag at the school. The board seems poised to take the BLM flag down from the 'district' pole based on attorney guidance and to conform with State of VT regs and the activist board member insisted that the policy be called the 'flag pole' policy, not the 'flag' policy. whatever. The local racial equity group is calling for protestors to show up at the next school board meeting (when they denigrate parents attending school board meetings and expressing concern over controversial cirriculum - irony lost on them!)

Even though I don't have children in that school, I am going to attend to observe and see if there is any move towards civility and consequences - if that's the right word - for this misbehavior, both on the part of the school board member and activist teachers.

Thank you for listening. Perhaps others will give feedback about their experiences on local school boards.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
The BLM organization has been scamming everyone that believes it is a ligament group. I think it is an insult to every race to fly that flag. The Dept of Education is trying to brainwash these students and everyone should be active in putting a stop to it. I was reading an article on the True North Reports website. Everyone should read it. They were alerting the readers to "The Listen Up Project". It is a musical that the schools are showing the students in May and June. It is a group of children singing "demands" to us. The list of demands is quite long, and goes so far as demanding easier access to hormones and gender affirmative in medical care. What I found upsetting was the sponsors, two of them being Front Porch Forum and The Governors Institute of Vermont. Every year FPF is threatening to close the website down if they don't get donations but they have enough money to sponsor this group.
They also called out the Shelburne Farm for their WOKE anti-white practices. I guess its not just Disney. I am so happy my children weren't subjected to this garbage.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
What law is it that prevents a school district from flying the BLM- or any other "political" flag? If this is a law why do so many districts not follow the law? Why are some Vermont politicians trying to pass a law banning BLM flags- and other flags- from being flown on school property if it is already against the law?
Well, I'm not sure it's "technically" against any law, but this is what the VT statues say:
https://legislature.vermont.gov/stat...be%20displayed.

It seems like there are interpretations that the school board can decide what flags will be flown at the school, but in the case I was posting about, an attorney (not sure if he is just from the town or if he is the school district's attorney) opined that to avoid further controversy, the BLM flag should be taken down to conform with the VT regulation linked above. It has something to do with the school district flag pole being equated with 'speech,' so an individual school cannot take it upon themselves to fly whatever they want. basically. if I understand their take. If they could, then what's to stop them from flying other controversial flags...and then, how do they decide who to deny? it's a quagmire.
In this particular school, someone suggested they crowd source a 2nd flag pole and fly the BLM flag there. Of course, not sure they could do it on school property, but there are private properties directly adjacent to the school that I'm sure would allow the pole to be erected there.

If you live in VT, you probably know that activist oriented groups will engage in civil disobedience as their God-given right (not that they believe in God ) and a few schools have come up with their own flag policies, which do seem in violation of the one listed. I trust we have not heard the end of this matter.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
The BLM organization has been scamming everyone that believes it is a ligament group. I think it is an insult to every race to fly that flag. The Dept of Education is trying to brainwash these students and everyone should be active in putting a stop to it. I was reading an article on the True North Reports website. Everyone should read it. They were alerting the readers to "The Listen Up Project". It is a musical that the schools are showing the students in May and June. It is a group of children singing "demands" to us. The list of demands is quite long, and goes so far as demanding easier access to hormones and gender affirmative in medical care. What I found upsetting was the sponsors, two of them being Front Porch Forum and The Governors Institute of Vermont. Every year FPF is threatening to close the website down if they don't get donations but they have enough money to sponsor this group.
They also called out the Shelburne Farm for their WOKE anti-white practices. I guess its not just Disney. I am so happy my children weren't subjected to this garbage.
Wow. I have never heard of this Listen Up project and will have to check out the True North Reports site. I simply do not understand allowing students - no matter how intelligent or enlightened - to 'demand' anything. You'd think there would be a process by which civil dialogue could occur to address everyone's concerns - adults and young adults. Access to hormones ??? omg. Unbelievable. What are parents saying?

Interesting about Front Porch Forum....which I peruse regularly - but which I notice allows alot of political haranguing, much of it local criticisms. I don't and won't contribute to them.

I don't see things improving here in this state, especially with the turnover they are expecting in Montpelier in the fall. Thanks for sharing this information. I am going to check it out.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:59 PM

Holy cow!!! I read their list of demands and at the moment, don't even know what to say other than much of this doesn't sound like things kids would think of on their own.
We sure have ourselves a situation, don't we?

Old 06-01-2022, 07:14 AM

I went back and listened to the recording of this meeting based on a comment someone made to me on FB and the attorney who spoke was from the supervisory union. Their take on just following the state reg is that if the SB arbitrarily decides the BLM flag is ok, it will have to entertain other flags being flown, and then how will they distinguish? He opined it would be based on their personal opinions and this isn't an acceptable situation as it would open them up to lawsuits.
BTW, the comment on FB informed me that the activist actually said a 'yes vote on this policy is an act of racism.' I will admit here that I quoted him as calling people racist. I was incorrect. He did say 'act of racism.' Two of the board members believed that is exactly what he was insinuating and I would guess anyone looking from the outside in would think that as well. He did nothing to dissuade them from that notion. So her remark was essentially a distinction w/out a difference.
I am so glad I never had kids.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:41 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Holy cow!!! I read their list of demands and at the moment, don't even know what to say other than much of this doesn't sound like things kids would think of on their own.
We sure have ourselves a situation, don't we?
I'll tell you another "Holy Cow" situation, Riley. In the May 25th Mountain Times, there is an article about the Chester library being hesitant to allow a Drag Queen Story Hour. So now The Pizza Stone has picked it up. This is for the entertainment of young children. I have seen this online but I never thought this State would go this far, even as Liberal as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont