Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times

Advertisements

This morning I had to cringe on my way to work. I was on a windy, 2-lane 40mph hour road. Today is trash day, so the trash hauler was out. Well the guy in front of me felt as though the trash guy was taking too much precious time trying to back into a driveway and started laying on the horn LOL. I couldnt believe it. Bad driving/impatient drivers are everywhere. There just doesnt seem to be as much of it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
Yesterday I witnessed a very good example on how tolerant and also on how dumb some drivers can be. For whatever bright reason right now in Essex at Five Corner's on Rte 2A they are reducing lanes by extending curbs out into two former lanes of traffic thus choking flow. I guess they did not assume the "unintended consequence" of all the idling vehicle exhaust which will result with longer lines of traffic waiting to get through the signal cycles. Well, anyway, because of the work going on traffic was quite backed up and I would say that well over half of the drivers left gaps for opposing traffic to make a left turn to enter side streets and driveways. This was a good sign, but when a gap did not exist some of the drivers wanting to make the left basically stopped and substantially delayed the flow for those following. It amazed me that nobody honked or yelled at those doing this. Most other places I have been there would have been a cacophony of blaring horns, waving without all fingers extended, and quite possibly a bumper nudge or someother body work being performed via a bat or tire iron on the offending party. Despite the patience exhibited I know I would not want to roll the dice and impede traffic. Better to continue ahead and turn around.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 PM

230 posts, read 875,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
I consider myself a safe and responsible driver. In nearly 4 decades of driving, I have never, ever had a moving violation. I drive the speed limit, even on streets where I think it is ridiculously low. I come to a full stop, not a slow-down-and-fake-a-stop at stop signs. I use turn signals when changing lanes and when turning, even if no one is behind me. I leave a proper distance between me and the car ahead (boo to the imbeciles who see that distance as an invitation to slip into the gap).

I constantly scan the road ahead of me and try to anticipate how I might deal with the unexpected. Car ahead slamming on its brakes. Child darting out. Oncoming traffic crossing the line. Rogue tire or debris bouncing off the truck ahead. I even try to anticipate how to deal with someone approaching too fast behind me or with the yahoos who tailgate so close I can see the pimples on their forehead .

I always wear my seatbelt. Always, no exception. Anyone riding in my car does likewise, otherwise my car will not move, end of discussion. I do not talk on the phone, text, read, apply makeup etc while driving. If the phone rings and there is no one else in the car to answer it, I stop at the next available place and return the call. ....................

I'd estimate well over half do not wear seatbelts. At least half seem to have a phone held up to their ear (who the heck are they all yakking to???). I've even seen people reading while driving (book propped up on steering wheel).
Oh my gosh, someone came on the boards and used a different name and posted all my thoughts!! <cue theme from "Twilight Zone.">

AMEN! The thing that annoys me is people yammering on cell phones and text messaging. I got T-boned a couple of winters ago by someone doing just that. Who the heck is SO important and has SUCH pressing business to take care of, that they have to endanger everyone's lives by yakking while driving?! The PRESIDENT, maybe? He has a chauffeur, so he can! Folks gotta realize that nothing any of us has to say is that important. (I know y'all don't want to hear it, but it's true. That includes me, too!)

Old 06-19-2008, 08:50 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,013,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglover6616 View Post
I am guessing your in the burlington area...
If this was referring to me (the Topic Creator), no, I'm not in Burlington. Currently, I don't even live in Vermont. Our family is hoping to relocate to Vermont in the next several months, though, and we are looking at the Burlington area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglover6616 View Post
so please don't label vermont
I wasn't labeling Vermont, at least not in a bad way. To the contrary, I was praising Vermont if it is, as many posters seem to indicate, somewhat safer than where I live now. I'm looking forward to a saner commute . See you on the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: