Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2022, 12:35 PM

544 posts, read 943,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
You may not feel that a "body with a penis" belongs in a female locker room but, under Vermont State law, transgender students are allowed to use the bathroom and locker room of the gender they identify with. (For that matter transgender adults are also allowed to use the locker room that fits with their gender identity.) And while we are looking at suicide stats, transgender adolescents face a 7.6 percent higher risk of suicide than their cisgender peers.
The law states that it is legal; but what is the actual percentage of transgender students vs cis? Not to be difficult, but isn't it easy to pass a law that won't actually require enforcement on a daily basis?

I'm not trying to minimize anything as I know 3 transgender people; one of whom was a boy I had a HS crush on. She and I have spoken about what her experience was like in HS and how she self-medicated to drugs and alcohol. The other transgender woman and my friend both were suicidal; how dreadful to be trapped in the wrong body.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:57 PM

383 posts, read 182,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you. It's hard to explain but for example, when I was in 7th grade we had one girl who developed early. She had the body (boobs) of a woman while the rest of us were at varying stages of development. All the girls used to try to see her in the shower and then they would talk about her. Finally it got so bad that the gym teacher allowed her to use a personal shower and a private changing room.

There is no conspiracy to separate us and control us, none of that. It's probably always been like this in our era with girls of that age. Girls are self conscious about their bodies. Maybe boys like to show off but most girls prefer to keep it private. Even adult women are often self conscious about having other women see them naked. It's normal and it's okay that we have a bit of modesty. Maybe a man would feel the same way about a disfiguring scar that he didn't want everyone to see. Most women appreciate some privacy from other women and definitely they don't want a man who thinks he's a woman to see them naked.

The girls deserve to get their locker room back and the boy who feels like a girl can get dressed elsewhere.

You're joking, right? Most boys/men should show that bad boy off

Old 10-19-2022, 11:01 AM

16,636 posts, read 8,354,811 times
I think having private places to change is the best way to go. Like a dressing room with a curtain. There might be some who don't mind changing out in the open in front of others.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:24 AM

6,377 posts, read 2,927,993 times
The mother of the transgender was just on the radio and claimed that her child never said anything inappropriate and it was a made up story by a 14 year old. WCAX dropped the story from it's website too. You get a "page not found". The people on the radio said your right to be comfortable doesn't trump someone else's right to exist. No push-back at all by anyone calling in. And now this:"
Quote:

Vermont School District Suspends Father of Girl Who Pushed Back Against Biological Male in Her Locker Room

A Vermont school district under fire for allowing a biologically male student to use the girls’ locker room has suspended a father from his position as soccer coach for using male pronouns to refer to the trans-identifying student.
Travis Allen has been suspended without pay from his job as the Randolph Union Middle School girls soccer coach, Orange Southwest School District Superintendent Layne Millington said in a Tuesday letter. His suspension follows a Daily Signal report highlighting his daughter’s discomfort at a biological male using her locker room while she was changing.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/10/...r-locker-room/

Old 10-19-2022, 02:36 PM

1,241 posts, read 907,269 times
If it is that big a deal for you, why didn't you call in and "push-back?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
The mother of the transgender was just on the radio and claimed that her child never said anything inappropriate and it was a made up story by a 14 year old. WCAX dropped the story from it's website too. You get a "page not found". The people on the radio said your right to be comfortable doesn't trump someone else's right to exist. No push-back at all by anyone calling in. And now this:"

Old 10-19-2022, 05:37 PM

9,496 posts, read 5,277,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

Hope he finds a good attorney. Didn't know we had compelled speech here, but that's probably next.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:50 PM

23,621 posts, read 70,547,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Hope he finds a good attorney. Didn't know we had compelled speech here, but that's probably next.
*shrug* you go to work for an employer and you say what the employer tells you to say. Chick-fil-A has compelled speech. They can't say "thank-you" but have to say "my pleasure" (even it it isn't.)

There were many customers when I was working that I wanted to address using certain words, but played by the rules and didn't. If coachy has a problem, that is a personal problem.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:48 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,137,869 times
In Canada, Jordan Peterson quit teaching at University after a pronoun debacle like this one. Since then, he has made a fortune touring and lecturing on subjects far and wide. He has found an immense audience to counter the woke theme worldwide. The soccer coach may not be that lucky, unfortunately.

I can understand the girl students' dislike of sharing their locker room with a trans person, in spite of my sympathy for the latter. There has to be a middle ground, but I’m just not smart enough to know what it is.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:49 AM

1,241 posts, read 907,269 times
Exactly. Trying to imply this is a violation of free speech is ridiculous. Maybe the coach can make some extra money by painting “Take Back Vermont” signs now that he doesn’t work for the school system

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
*shrug* you go to work for an employer and you say what the employer tells you to say. Chick-fil-A has compelled speech. They can't say "thank-you" but have to say "my pleasure" (even it it isn't.)

There were many customers when I was working that I wanted to address using certain words, but played by the rules and didn't. If coachy has a problem, that is a personal problem.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:46 AM

6,377 posts, read 2,927,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
If it is that big a deal for you, why didn't you call in and "push-back?"
HAWHAW. Call in and get cancelled? No way. Women's groups and feminists are going to have to fight this fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: