Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times

Advertisements

My oil company just notified me they will have a pre-buy option until August 22nd at $4.45 p/gallon (#2 oil). I'm on the fence on how much quantity to lock in for if any. My gut feeling tells me that oil prices will be just like the markets. A little bit of a tease to create euphoria and then just like we have seen from last October once performance improves then it will be followed by a shock dump followed by continued wild cycles. Of course with oil we still have to contend with all kinds of external factors like storms, brush wars, misc interruptions, or whatever excuse they can dream up to spike the price. Then again, if we have a colder than normal heating season or a period of really deep freeze, then the price will spike, despite the fact that for heating fuel they can pretty well calculate needed supply for regions and have the entire non heating season to replenish stock reserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:48 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
The problem lies with the oil used to heat homes. The refineries have to change production to supply this demand and as always will the refineries put out enough heating oil to meet the demand and to keep prices down.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:39 AM

862 posts, read 1,052,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The problem lies with the oil used to heat homes. The refineries have to change production to supply this demand and as always will the refineries put out enough heating oil to meet the demand and to keep prices down.
HUH ??? Who knew big oil had such social concerns for us little people.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,762 times
Default contract or not?

Anybody got any thoughts on the wisdom of locking in the current price for the upcoming season? I am waffling.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:47 PM

413 posts, read 1,589,555 times
Just my thoughts: With the massive government spending we are seeing, it appears that the value of the dollar will decline dramatically. Since oil is priced in USD, oil will become more expensive over the next few months. We will ever see $40.00/bbl oil again anytime soon ? I strongly doubt it.
Oil prices have been on the rise for some time now.
Crude Oil Spot and Natural Gas Spot Prices - NYMEX
If I still lived in VT, I would strongly consider a pre-buy.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:14 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
If I had a choice I'd be burning wood (oops, the Sierra Club et al. will sue to stop any logging on our public lands though ). Have a nice woodstove and all the necessary top of the line stainless steel chimney components...but can't use it while in a rented place.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:34 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Just my thoughts: With the massive government spending we are seeing, it appears that the value of the dollar will decline dramatically. Since oil is priced in USD, oil will become more expensive over the next few months. We will ever see $40.00/bbl oil again anytime soon ? I strongly doubt it.
Oil prices have been on the rise for some time now.
Crude Oil Spot and Natural Gas Spot Prices - NYMEX
If I still lived in VT, I would strongly consider a pre-buy.
I've been buying in October and November over the past few years and I've been lucky. I know gas and heating oil aren't supposed to move together, but I've found when gas goes down after summer, heating oil goes with it. My guy has quoted me $2.39, not prey buy. I'm going to try and get it for closer to $2.00. If it goes up to $2.50 or $2.60 I'll probably get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont