Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2023, 12:45 PM

6,335 posts, read 2,889,808 times

Advertisements

Sleepy Hollow Farm off limits during foliage season

https://www.wcax.com/2023/09/07/slee...oliage-season/

Quote:
In recent years, photos and videos of Sleepy Hollow have populated social media, creating an internet sensation and unwanted attention for those who live on the road.
“There is no parking, there are no facilities. We got people going to the bathroom on the side of the road,” said Doten, who is leading the effort to change things. Last year, the road to the farm was temporarily turned to one way during foliage season but neighbors say it had little impact. This year, the selectboards in Pomfret and Woodstock agreed to close Cloudland Road and nearby Barber Hill Road for three weeks when the color is at its peak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 06:24 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Sleepy Hollow Farm off limits during foliage season

https://www.wcax.com/2023/09/07/slee...oliage-season/
I live in Northern Vermont and can understand the frustration of townspeople when the peepers come to town. I realize that this is one of our main tourist attractions but it does sometimes get out of hand.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:14 PM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
From 2022 when they made it a one way road.

https://m.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/lu...t?oid=36703190

And this is why we can't have nice things:
Quote:
Two middle-aged women from Plympton, Mass., voiced reservations about joining the scrum of shutterbugs pointing their cameras right at a private home. But they snapped their shots anyway. “I just think you gotta do it with respect,” one said.

Not everyone was following that dictum. As I watched, a man from Connecticut flew a drone over the property and lost control of it. The drone landed on the other side of the road, where he retrieved it after climbing over a stone wall and a fence.

A woman walked around the gate at the top of the driveway and smiled for a shot with the property behind her. The “Private Property, Keep Out” signs along the edge of the road appeared to be just suggestions to her.

Mike Doten grew up as Sleepy Hollow’s neighbor and now lives across the street at Elm Grove Farm. He said he’s collected two bags of trash along the road in the past two weeks.

“It’s a little disappointing,” he said. “They’re out in a beautiful spot because it’s beautiful, and then they throw trash. I don’t get it.”

Old 09-19-2023, 09:37 PM

542 posts, read 701,611 times
People tend to ruin whatever they love. It's fine when only a few know of a special place, but once the word is out things can degrade quickly. I think it is just humane nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont