Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,191,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I thought you were happy living in VA? In one of your posts you stated that it was so much cheaper to live in Boone Mills and the area is just as scenic. After reading your post I started researching real estate in that area. I also would be looking for equestrian property but I am a bit worried about the lack of hay down south (wasn't it a problem last year?). I saw a beautiful farm for over $2 million. Way, way, way out of my price range but the yearly taxes were under $5,000. Could that have been a misprint?
We love Virginia and plan on staying. We also love Vermont and have family in Vermont. The issue for us back in January was a desire to downsize to simplify our farm, family and work life. We didn't think we could downsize where we are and if we were going to go through the effort of moving, it made sense to look into heading back to Vermont. So I researched the Vermont real estate market, the tax implications of living in Vermont for our family, and so on. As my research continued the list of financial sacrifices of living in Vermont grew, and then Spring began springing here in Boones Mill in late March. As trees and flowers began blooming here I was reading the Vermont forums on city-data and some new transplants were anxiously asking when Spring was going to arrive, and I realized that Vermont - at that moment - still had another 2 months of guaranteed dormant season to go. So while Vermont has a good deal of strengths, its weaknesses relative to our needs and lifestyle ruled it out once again. Luckily by March we were able to visualize how we would downsize our commercial farm here, and simplify without leaving Virginia. Still, Vermont holds a special place in my heart, which might explain why I often linger in the Vermont forums

And yes the property taxes here in Franklin County, VA are relatively low. We just had the 4 year reassessment done and yes property values increased in our county across the board. But when the reassessment was complete the property tax rate was adjusted downward to $0.47/$100. In other words, if you owned a home worth $300,000 in our county (a brand new well built 2,200 square foot home with a few acres for example), your annual property tax would be $1,410. In Vermont it might be more like $5,700 which is basically the equivalent of a car payment more money per month.

We're in a drought here in our county but it's not an exceptional drought. Those severe droughts are confined to North Carolina and points south. This year Virginia had an absolutely phenomenal first cut of hay that was brought in by May 7th. But even last year when the hay situation was bad we could still source hay easily from our hay farmer in central Virginia who brought in 40 ton truckloads of hay from up North as needed.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,346 times
That is quite a bit of difference in taxes!! My husband is worried about our hay fields with all the bad weather we are having. We only cut 3 fields.....5 more to 1st cut. It has been raining on a daily basis. I can understand how you feel about missing VT. I will miss it too if we have to move. I hope I never see that day.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Well I'm happy to report that the system works here in Williston. Earlier I posted that my property assessment jumped 68 percent. Well I just got
back from my grievance meeting and they cut my increase from 68 to 38 percent, which I think is very fair. I live on ten acres, but 8 of those acres are mountain or ledge and can not be developed for anything. When I pointed this out they dropped the assessment. I must say since I moved to Vermont, any government, whether state or local, has been very fair and pleasant to work with.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM

10 posts, read 55,737 times
Default Living Expenses

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I currently live about 20 miles NW of Los Angeles. Life is getting nuts around here (traffic, crime, heat, overpopulation, and I am probing possible places to relocate to. As a child, I lived in Montreal and often visited Burlington with my family. I still have the fondest memories of a quieter lifestyle and surrounding beauty.

Among the many considerations to address, everyday living expenses are a huge part of the formula. Is there anyone who can post a general picture as to property tax percentages, home & auto insurance premiums, cost of regular home utilities (both during summer and winter) water fees, trash fees, cost of food, etc.
I'm not one for thinking grass is greener on the other side. It rarely ever is. Instead, I'm looking for a place where human civility still exists, where I can speak English and be understood, and also a slower pace of living.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Seeker View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I currently live about 20 miles NW of Los Angeles. Life is getting nuts around here (traffic, crime, heat, overpopulation, and I am probing possible places to relocate to. As a child, I lived in Montreal and often visited Burlington with my family. I still have the fondest memories of a quieter lifestyle and surrounding beauty.

Among the many considerations to address, everyday living expenses are a huge part of the formula. Is there anyone who can post a general picture as to property tax percentages, home & auto insurance premiums, cost of regular home utilities (both during summer and winter) water fees, trash fees, cost of food, etc.
I'm not one for thinking grass is greener on the other side. It rarely ever is. Instead, I'm looking for a place where human civility still exists, where I can speak English and be understood, and also a slower pace of living.
Thank you in advance for any responses.
Hi SS.

This thread is about done so your message won't be getting many views. Why not start a new thread called Burlington Cost of Living Expenses?
Good luck!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 AM

10 posts, read 55,737 times
Default Thank you

Quickdraw, Thanks for that advice. I'll do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont