Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:57 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times

Advertisements

Regarding planning/zoning & development.
If the zoning is in place, a town planning board cannot say "no" if the plan proposed meets all the zoning/subdivision requirements (well, I guess they can, but they will most likely be sued and lose!).
If one does not like the minimum lot size requirements, density requirements, etc. the zoning/subdivision regulations would need to be re-written and adopted. This is done first by the town planning commission, and then, in most towns, adopted by the Selectboard. In some towns it goes to a town-wide vote. If you have concerns, please go to your Planning Commission and voice them!
Also, it all varies town-by-town. For instance, my town has a 10 acre minimum lot size/density of 1 unit per 10 acres in 95% of the town. South Burlington by contrast, has zoning districts that allow up to 15 units per acre.
Many towns welcome development as it brings in more tax revenue.
We can't stop growth. What we have to do is plan to manage it responsibly.

Here is a website that is a good resource to learn about how planning/zoning works in Vermont on a local level:
http://www.vpic.info/

Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Thanks Vter, for taking the time to post that.

I am sure you can understand the frustration of those of us who came here, have tried to be as respectful and sensitive as possible to the native residents and their concerns, yet become the figurative whipping boy for all else that has gone wrong because others have come here and done wrong.

I've posted my concern for smart growth and responsible land management in the past; I realize that nothing stays the same forever, but it doesn't have to be inextricably altered by poor planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont