Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times

Advertisements

Just make sure any guests who wander out back are likkered up, when they fall off the back yard they'll be a bit loose and will not get injured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,502,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Just make sure any guests who wander out back are likkered up, when they fall off the back yard they'll be a bit loose and will not get injured.
I won't be able to invite any lawyers to my home.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:18 PM

914 posts, read 2,920,627 times
Wow, this thread has been a real eye opener! I had no idea that Vermont was so mountainous in that every home is on some sort of sloping hillside. I suppose it's a mixed blessing. The hilly landscape is what gives Vermont its dramatic beauty, but it also can pose problems for those who are phobic about heights, like me!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,036,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Wow, this thread has been a real eye opener! I had no idea that Vermont was so mountainous in that every home is on some sort of sloping hillside. I suppose it's a mixed blessing. The hilly landscape is what gives Vermont its dramatic beauty, but it also can pose problems for those who are phobic about heights, like me!
Not every home is on a slope. A lot of property does have slopes though.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
My property is steep, I'd rate it a mountain goat. The house sits below the road; the driveway is a long slope. At the top of the driveway there is a landing with a drop off of about 30' and the previous owners left it be. My inner flatlander envisioned sliding into the driveway and off the landing. I contacted the local excavator and had two nice sized rocks strategically placed. It allowed the plow guy somewhere to push off the snow and give an errant, sliding, or distracted driver something to bump into rather than WHOOSH! over the side. Along the roadside there is nothing -- a drop off.

On one stretch of the road (not near my property) the drop off is straight down and there are no barriers. If you have to pass anything big on that stretch -- LOL -- GOODLUCK!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:53 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I won't be able to invite any lawyers to my home.
Ha! Or push them...

Old 07-13-2008, 04:14 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,502,085 times
A friend's son is building a house on a hill in Brattleboro. When my friend has to do K turns to turn around to leave, I always feel anxious, as there is a drop off there.

Imagine living in the Alps, Andes, Himalayas or even in California. People there must have to live with drop offs of thousands of feet! Like on the "death road" in Bolivia.

There are flat lots in Vermont, at least in parts of Brattleboro. There are also lots with slopes. My friend's lawn has such a slope you have to practically climb it or use stairs. But that's not the same thing as a steep drop off.

I guess drop-offs are simply a fact of life in Vermont.

My inner flatlander, to use OhBeeHave's term, is yearning for Rhode Island right now.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:12 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
Again, Vermont is hilly. There is really no way you can avoid elevation change in Vermont, especially driving. If it worries you that much, then maybe Vermont is not for you.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
We had purchased an antique car from an elderly couple in Bratt. They lived very close to the hospital. Their property was very gradually sloped and at the back end had a large drop off down to the main road.

Within Chester there are many homes which are on lots that are almost as flat as the south shore of LI. I've even noticed that in Ludlow and Bellows Falls as well. The older homes close to town are on smaller lots which for some strange reason, tend to be more level than those heading out of town proper.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:43 AM

914 posts, read 2,920,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Within Chester there are many homes which are on lots that are almost as flat as the south shore of LI. I've even noticed that in Ludlow and Bellows Falls as well. The older homes close to town are on smaller lots which for some strange reason, tend to be more level than those heading out of town proper.
That stands to reason, since early settlers would have gone for the route of least resistance and convenience. It's only fairly recently that people have had the ability and luxury of venturing out into the countryside, wanting to purchase larger tracts of land without any neighbors nearby. arel, why don't you look at homes that are closer to town centers? I don't know how much land you want or need, but living in town seems to be a good compromise. As for Rhode Island...what? That's so different from Vermont. My good friend is originally from Pawtucket, and I have another aquaintance who attended Brown University, but that is where my knowledge of RI begins and ends!
Good luck with your final decision!

Last edited by looking4home; 07-13-2008 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont