Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:25 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times

Advertisements

From my prior LE experience I could literally cite hundreds of landlord-tenant horror stories and in the majority of cases the landlord came out on the losing end financially. Here in Vermont combine this issue with problem tenants, overall high costs, and the fact that we have one of the most tightest renter markets in the country, it causes stress for all parties concerned. It really is a shame as I know a great number of renters are decent folks who would go out of their way to take care of their living quarters as if it were their own. It is understandable that landlords have to be cautious and require full deposits as insurance in case of the potential renter from hell. With the current economy and difficulty for many finding and retaining jobs that would pay enough to cover the bills, especially for those with kids, renting is the only option for an increasing segment of the population. Advice given about obtaining and understanding the provisions of the landlord-tenant law is a definite must. In fact, when I was in LE we carried pocket copies to give to parties when disputes arouse. I know it is common to place the potential for problems on renters, but there are also some real nut job landlords out there that can make life unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:35 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galadri View Post
I hate the FL&S thing. I don't mind paying the first month up front, and I have no problem paying security, I'm even willing to pay a NR pet deposit. But I'm not rich. I live paycheck to paycheck like 90% of the economy and have a pathetically meager savings.
The problem is a lot of tenants will expect to use the security as their last month's rent and then if there is damage the landlord is stuck paying for it.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:47 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
What really is pathetic is that the state legislature is and has been for a long time fully aware of the shortage of affordable housing but takes little to no meaningful action to alleviate the problem other than flap their gums acknowledging the issue each and every election cycle. The poster who referenced a high segment of the population living check to check is right on the mark. What we need desperately in this state is sufficient quantity of at least rental housing located in proximity of population area which might support the hope of employment. Another fact for renters to consider is that landlords themselves each and every year face ever increasing fiscal burdens and costly regulatory hurdles imposed by the very government which claims to understand the problem. Hence, in a free market economy the cost of doing business is passed onto the consumer who is already being literally bludgeoned by the rapidly rising costs of just providing needed staples of life.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Here is my suggestion. If you have someone that wants to rent your property go meet them at their home. this weill show you how they will keep yours. This works better than credit checks or references.
When I worked with one company and people would ask for references our standard response was do you want good ones or bad ones. In short they are worthless. I watched a landlord turn away a woman I would have rented to because of a credit check instead he got drug dealers... and they bolted after 5 months.
Meet the people and talk to them for an extended period. fo to their home.... This is what has worked for me. (make sure they have an income to support the rent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: