Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times

Advertisements

I've been here almost a year and like it. I came from suburban NY so parts of life here are heavenly (can you say very little traffic on hwys?), parts stink (spending 2-3 hours just to get groceries while pressed for time).

What I hate the most are the gawping tourists. I have nothing against travelers. I love to travel myself and learn about new places & people. But the ones with an attitude and the ones who think me walking my dog is an exciting thing to STARE at drive me crazy. I can't help living on a main road. Please be nice and stop STARING!

It's one thing to look and maybe smile. But to stare blankly. Rude!!!

Hey Martha, it's one of those quaint Vermont folks walking her quaint Vermont dog...

Uh, no....we're from NY and not quaint...and my dog is a rescue dawg from NC...!

Anyhow, no insults meant here..just remember, Vermonters like to wave at you when you stare...in my husband's case he does it to be obnoxious...not friendly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:34 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
Gypsy....I think if you lived in a different part of town or heck the state, you may not have such a negative vibe about tourists. If I lived where you live though, I'm sure I'd feel the same way! Rest assured, the whole state is not like your little 'burg.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times
I've never experienced this. Tourists could care less about me, maybe they figured out Im from Chicago and my dog was found as a stray in Indiana?

I've had nothing but great experiences with tourists.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
That is an odd complaint. Is there something about your house or the way you dress that is getting their attention? Is there nothing else in the area for them to look at? Is there some history of your home that has people looking? (Past murder or ghost story, historical structure, looks like a popular historical structure, their family used to live there, gingham dress, farmer overalls, Zsa Zsa Green Acres pearls?)

Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM

245 posts, read 447,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've been here almost a year and like it. I came from suburban NY so parts of life here are heavenly (can you say very little traffic on hwys?), parts stink (spending 2-3 hours just to get groceries while pressed for time).

What I hate the most are the gawping tourists. I have nothing against travelers. But the ones with an attitude and the ones who think me walking my dog is an exciting thing to STARE at drive me crazy. I can't help living on a toad. Please be nice and stop STARING!
Are you fully dressed when you walk your dog? There must be a valid explanation.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
I've gotten the same stare just getting stuff out of the barn. I guess the ysee an old barn by the side of the road and figure I'm some noble savage VTer farming stones.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Uhhh, LazyT? Sumpin is wrong with your quoter... GS22 never said "I can't help living on a toad. Please be nice and stop STARING!" If she had, I'm sure we could have all pointed out the problem and solution.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Sorry, I am just cranky today. Found out our house sale is probably not going to happen...

I work for a lot of part time visitors to VT (at a 'resort type place) so I have to 'be on' all the time, even at 6 am when someone is riding by on his or her way to play golf or ski... It gets exhausting...

Just ignore my am rant...

Old 07-29-2008, 06:14 AM

245 posts, read 447,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Sorry, I am just spanky today.

I work for a lot of part time visitors to VT (at a 'resort type place) so I have to 'be on' all the time, even at 6 am when someone is riding by on his or her way to play golf or ski... It gets exhausting...

Just ignore my am rant...
That's fine. We're lookin' forward to your PM rant.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Visit Stowe, Manchester, Wilmington or Ludlow. Perhaps you would feel better about where you live/work.

I would also mention Woodstock but assume your familar with "the prettiest village in Vermont" or so a big billboard used to say as you drove into town before billboards were banned in Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont