Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 AM

219 posts, read 481,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeseeking View Post
Trust me, Vermont is not the place to go if you think you wont have mosquitos.
I agree, but it's better than southeast NH and eastern Massachusetts.

(Stupid eastern equine virus-positive mosquitoes in southeast NH and Massachusetts.)

Springfield is one of the best in this regard. The eastern equine virus was never found in Vermont during recent times, (or I wasn't made aware of any cases) that's a dangerous mosquito-transmitted strain, it causes seizures and a coma.

While it's been reported that the West Nile virus usually causes just more like cold-like symptoms.

The worst I saw reported was the West Nile virus found in a few birds (probably crows) in 2007.

And that was in Windham county. Windsor county didn't even have as much as a little report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
I would think that an extended visit at a number of bed and breakfast places would help narrow the choices. Stowe and Mt. Washington in New Hampshire were the traditional places where people went for the summer. What is intriguing is if only a summer place is wanted, there are a lot of people who only want a place for the winter ski season and maybe the fall color. It could be one of the few times that a time share makes sense.

I have to agree on the mosquitoes. We were never bothered by mosquitoes in south Florida unless the wind was blowing hard from the everglades. In Vermont, I used to get eaten up.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:39 PM

21 posts, read 76,069 times
Not sure if you are only considering Vermont. If not, the Roaring Fork Valley of Colorado fits your description perfectly. Try a search for Carbondale or Glenwood Springs. There are several excellent golf courses (try Iron Bridge, Aspen Glen, or Lakota) ski areas Aspen, Snowmass, Buttermilk, Highlands, Sunlight. Low humidty and great fishing in the Roaring Fork River or the Frying Pan. The biggest downside is the price tag. You'll have a hard time finding a decent single family home on .20 acres for under $450,000 and that can easily quadruple if you want some decent acreage.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
A bit OT, but for Powderhound - about 11 years ago, my fiancé and I spent our Christmas holiday in a log cabin in Redstone, Colorado. One of the best weeks ever. So beautiful...wish I'd bought some real estate back then.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:16 PM

862 posts, read 1,052,067 times
SusanHH, I'm sure any town will be FAB just by your sheer presence !

Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,346 times
Am I the only one in VT that doesn't have a mosquito problem?! I have only got bit maybe 2 times this summer.....and I think the reason for that is the lack of bats. I've only seen 2 bats this year by the barn. Oh, I can't forget the one flying around inside my house also. When I lived on Long Island, you would walk outside and it was common to see twenty or thirty of them biting your legs. I won't even begin to talk about ticks!!!
With no disrespect intended, doesn't SusanHH sound like she would fit in fine in a Town like Manchester? True, you have the shopping, the Orvis shops, bookstores but isn't there a great fly fishing area south of that Town. Is it the Battenkill River?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Am I the only one in VT that doesn't have a mosquito problem?!
No problem with mosquitoes here either. No biggie in Rutland city, and a bit of natural repellent keeps them off me in the woods. Also, maybe coincidental, but I've been using a very thick shea butter/lavender moisturizer and I'm now getting even fewer bites than my husband and the buggies aren't swarming around me.

Quote:
With no disrespect intended, doesn't SusanHH sound like she would fit in fine in a Town like Manchester? True, you have the shopping, the Orvis shops, bookstores but isn't there a great fly fishing area south of that Town. Is it the Battenkill River?
Could be a good choice for her. Certainly seems worth checking out. Sincere feedback like yours, the kind that eschews sarcasm, works for me.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanHH View Post
Am interested in a summer home that gets me away from humidity, constant heat and mosquitos (S.FL.) A higher altitude should combat some of these issues.

I heard VT. was lovely in the summer, and possibly for a week or so in fall (leaves) and winter (ski).

Would love to be near a small and charming town (coffee shop, bookstore etc.), but still rural with decent size property and maybe a small carriage house or redone barn.

Husband fly-fishes, so close fishing water is a must, and we both play golf so a course nearby would be perfect.

Maybe near a college, as hubby is a prof and might enjoy having a summer class.
Have never been so am open......am planning on going this summer to tour the state (along with NH)

thanks,
Brandon, Vermont is an "up and coming" small town. Becoming artsy, with an artists' guild. Town center has a roundish park with picturesque bandstand (concerts, auctions) and a Farmers' Market in the summer. Scenic bicycle tours start at the Brandon Inn (next to bookstore and ice cream parlor) and continue 4 miles out of town, on a beautiful road that is one mile downhill from my home (which is for sale, naturally). That town green has a fountain. There is a pretty little waterfall just off the town center, which water flows under a very old and pretty business block. There are probably 5 or 6 galleries within the town. See it on the web- just Google on Brandon/Vermont (duh). Mosquito control is pretty darned good, because of spraying, and at my house, the altitude (we are up in the Taconic mountain chain) helps.
Property taxes are now under control and based on 5% of adjusted gross income, I believe. A fly fishing mecca- the Orvis Store- is down the road, in Manchester, Vt and the White River is not far- on the eastern side of Killington (the Beast of the East- about 45 minutes from Brandon). Did I mention the colleges? Middlebury is 25 minutes away, Castleton State is about 30 minutes, St. Joseph College is 15 miles down the state highway, in Rutland. Middlebury's Breadloaf Conference is about 20 minutes. Golf in Brandon (Neshobe), Pittsford, Rutland, Middlebury, Dorset, most everywhere.
This is a friendly, busy, pretty, cool area.
Moderator cut: no advertising property for sale
Hope this isn't too much info!
Maybe I can get you pictures of downtown Brandon, too.

Last edited by vter; 08-30-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-01-2008, 06:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
It might be a nice match. Even some of the towns on the outskirts of Manchester might suit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont