Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 13,312 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job in Rutland and Middlebury seems like a great town to live in. Is this commute doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM

18 posts, read 115,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4imon View Post
I am considering taking a job in Rutland and Middlebury seems like a great town to live in. Is this commute doable?

Route 7 can get pretty scary, especially in the winter. Not the road itself necessarily, but the other people trying to do the commute driving like maniacs.

The trip through Brandon can take quite a bit of time, even though its a small town. Trust me.

Its doable. I wouldnt want to do it, but theres worse commutes in Vermont.
Rutland is a pretty nice place to live as well.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:54 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
It's do-able. About 30 miles, depending on where in Middlebury you'll be coming from.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:26 AM

Default Question for VTer

I also understand there is a bus that runs between Middlebury and Rutland. It seems like Middlebury is a nice place to live and we can't be too far from Burlington.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:42 AM

43 posts, read 138,602 times
i think it depends on where in middlebury you're coming from. if you have to come through town, as in main street...it will take you longer. especially if it's school bus time.

if you're going to rutland, from....rt 7, near the high school or foster motors, it won't be as bad.

the stretch of rt 7 that goes through the swamp...ie past maple meadows can be bumpy from frost heaves and have drifts.

also, the destination point in rutland can be a PITA. do you have to go through town, or is it on the outskirts?

anyhow, i have done it...when i worked at RRMC. i commuted from shoreham. sometimes through middlebury, sometimes the back roads(through whiting/brandon/sudbury) and 22A to rt 4.

i would say to give yourself an hour travel time.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 AM

Default To Sugarmama

I'd be coming from dowtown Middlebury, but my office is actually on the border between Pittsford and Rutland so there's no need to go all the way into Rutland.

Do you know anything about the bus?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 AM

43 posts, read 138,602 times
i don't know much about the bus. sorry.
but, i used to live on the pittsford/rutland line....because i got sick of the commute. it was a very convenient place to live.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4imon View Post
I'd be coming from dowtown Middlebury, but my office is actually on the border between Pittsford and Rutland so there's no need to go all the way into Rutland.

Do you know anything about the bus?
Are you talking about "The Bus" as it's called? I'm not too sure I'd want to count on it for getting to a job, FWIW. But then, I certainly wouldn't choose to live in Rutland either (again that is, moving to Rutland was a big mistake in my opinion all things considered, if I had the money I'd of found a place in Northern VT but I didn't and had some "connections" via relatives to get a job and a cheap place in Rutland, and since I'll be leaving for Alaska in the Spring, it's not worth moving again right now), so go with the commute. I'd not live in downtown Middlebury but rather more on the outskirts. Still nicer than Rutland though. Things can be dangerous at times in the winter if you commute so give yourself plenty of time (an early start) on days the roads and weather are rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont