Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:34 PM

7 posts, read 18,848 times

Advertisements

Winters are long in vermont and they seem to drag on but we do have really nice air thats clean hardly any air pollution and the crime in vermont is low..
I have noticed quiet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 08:13 AM

8 posts, read 22,506 times
Default Thanks for all the replies

Didn't know my original post would cause quite a stir.....

Some of you seem to have gotten my facts mixed up.

I am currently earning 100K in corporate America as a software developer, and living on LI.

If I were a teacher in VT, my salary would be somewhere in the low to mid 40's (If I were to return to the classroom here on LI, I would be earning about 60K....and here on LI would be nearly impossible. So I figure 40's in VT would be better).

I disagree with all of those who say there is not much of difference in the cost of living between here on LI and in VT.

The average property tax on LI is in the 9K to 12K range per year. There are pockets of lower property tax, but the prices of the homes are slightly higher.

Though prices have come down slightly here, you better be ready to spend 450K- 500K for the average cape or colonial on about 1/4 of land in a good area. There are less expensive areas, but they also leave something to be desired. I looked at house a few weeks ago that was 379K but was 1952 inside, The house was very small, about 1,200 square feet and the property was about .12 of an acre. property tax was $8,500.

In addition, you will more than likely need some more dollars to fix up your new 450K purchase because it will more than likely be old inside. Any house that is already updated will cost you.

Sales tax here is 8.625%. THe price of gas is also higher than VT by about 20-30 cents per gallon.

I think income tax in VT and LI are about the same.

Now to quality of life topics (negative issues first):

- It is damn crowded down here, period. Traffic can be horrible during rush hour and Saturday afternoons. The congestion on the roads can really drive you mad somedays.

- Open space is almost non-existent with the exception of a few small parks (600 acre park here is very large).

- I find people here to be very rude and self serving. Not all, but definitely a majority.

- Materialism is the way of life here. Luxary cars are frequent in number.

- Did I mention that it is crowded?

- Car insurance rates are among the highest in the country.

- We have the highest utility rates in the country.

- humidty here in the summer can be brutal. Winters can be raw also due to the humidty....this is an island afterall.

- Definitely need AC in the summer due to the humidity which drives your electric bill sky high. Most summertime electric bills are in the $300 range (per month), and I try to minimize the AC use, but somedays are just too humid.

positives:

- weather is warmer - the leaves don't start changing until mid to late Oct.
And snow is usually done by the second week in March (only snowed once all of last winter)

- Beach in nearby if that is your thing

- Many good school districts

- Crime is very low for a heavily populated area. Suffolk county (eastern LI) has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.

- homes will keep their value

Overall, I feel the negatives outweigh the positives. The quailty of life here stinks. It is never quiet because everyone has hired landscapers and on any given day there is a leaf blower screaming. Plus the landscape is very unattractive for the most part. There are some nice areas, but it is just too developed.

So life can be better on a 40K salary in VT with more of a tranquil setting, at least that is what I am thinking right now.

Last edited by Brrrmont; 09-19-2008 at 08:23 AM..

Old 09-19-2008, 08:33 AM

894 posts, read 1,560,583 times
'So life can be better on a 40K salary with more of a tranquil setting, at least that is what I am thinking right now.'
I doubt it. But try it. Lots of others have some like it, some are leaving. Lots of expat LIers here. You can get a OK house in VT for 200k but it won't have acreage and it won't be in a known town or near a ski area(or near Burlington). It will either be on a main road or have a horrible driveway(4WD vehicle with ground clearance required) House condition averages worse than LI. Older houses that take a lot more abuse from the weather and the economic situation. It's no big deal to know people that go without running water for a few months during a live in renovation/disaster. Totally different standard of living. A big part of VT's economy is transfer payments from folks like yourself. Come on up get some of the VT dream while it is still available.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,136,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
You can get a OK house in VT for 200k but it won't have acreage and it won't be in a known town or near a ski area(or near Burlington). It will either be on a main road or have a horrible driveway(4WD vehicle with ground clearance required) House condition averages worse than LI.
In contrast, this is not our experience, nor is it that of many, many Vermonters we know (natives and transplants). Not in the least. I'm sure it does reflect someone's reality, but please don't take as gospel any generalizations and stereotypes of what it means to live in Vermont -- know that each posting here is the viewpoint of the poster based on their own experiences and observations, and may differ considerably from the actual, real-life experiences of many others.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:43 AM

8 posts, read 22,506 times
Default So mustmove......

How long have you lived in VT?

I have seen some nice homes in the Upper Valley region for reasonable prices.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:48 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,276,359 times
I agree and disagree with must move...$40K won't get you very far in VT, but its doable. The housing stock here is definately old, though there is new construction here and there, especially in the Burlington suburbs. In addition to housing costs...don't forget heating. We have a much longer winter here and with the cost of oil right now....well....its expensive. If you decide to rent, find a place that includes heat in your rent. See a latest news story on WCAX: WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-Heating Fuel Prices Force Change for Vermonters . I really do think you'll be surprised at how the COL here is not that much different from our more urbanized neighbors to the south. Like I posted in other threads, I lived in Boston for 6 years which is a place that is considered expensive, and my COL is not that much different here.
I laughed about the horrible driveway comment...certainly a possibility when you get out into the more rural areas of the state. We built/bought our house for a bit of $200K 5 years ago now....have got a great 5+ acre lot, but our driveway....YIKES! We knew that going in though and we both have 4wd so it's really no problem. I can show you some scary looking driveways in my area that go to homes worth WAY more than $200K. Just a fact of life when you live in a hilly/mountainous environment.
Yes, there are people that go without water, etc. but that is an exception, not the norm.
I know people that make around $40K and they get along OK here. They just don't enjoy a lot of "luxuries" in life such as eating out often, traveling, flat-screen TVs etc.

Last edited by vter; 09-19-2008 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 AM

697 posts, read 2,016,625 times
Brrrrmont, Don't let anybody discourage you. You'd love it up here. It is more expensive than a lot of places, but it sounds like you know all about expensive in NY. You can get property for less than you can there, and a lot of the older homes have been renovated.

Your family would do just fine.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,276,359 times
925mine reminds me of something else I was going to say in my post, but forgot!! This is a great place to live especially if you can swing it financially (its nice to have extra $$$ to enjoy skiing, snowmobiling, kayaking etc). If you like a rural, less hectic, outdoorsy way of living and can live without big-city conveniences, then you'll love it here.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:35 PM

894 posts, read 1,560,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrmont View Post
How long have you lived in VT?

I have seen some nice homes in the Upper Valley region for reasonable prices.
Owned a house up here for 3 years. My mom has lived up here for over 20 years and my brother went to HS up here. I'm certainly a flatlander(from LI) but I've been in and around VT long enough. I live in the Upper Valley and it is probably the most affordable section of VT that is close to reasonable employment opportunities(disclaimer I'm selling a house here). People get pissy around here for honestly telling folks that VT is expensive and economically challenged. That is the truth of it, as I said before give it a try. One way of looking at it is if you are making 100K on LI and will make 40K in VT than to have the same standard of living VT needs to be 60% cheaper. It isn't. Vter pointed out his COL in VT is about the same as Boston. Again if you want to live in VT go for it. You might love it here, despite the challenge$.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,646 times
My wife and I are considering moving to Vermont from West Texas. I am in Retail manage ment and I am being offered a job through a recuriter,she has a Bachlors degree in Accounting, does any one know how the market is for Accountants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont