Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,699 times

Advertisements

You people who live and are from Vermont are SO LUCKY. I swear I live in new jersey, not from here, but its a total disgusting state. Everything is poisonous, from the land to the water to the nerve gas in the shore not to mention the water is not only chemically polluted but full of plastic bags, needles, etc. floating around.

Now New York City is amazing and beautiful and I miss the Old New York, NY offers so much but its a total police state now and I want to go school their this fall and live their, but I really hate the police state and crime.

Out of all the states, I really want to move to either Austin, TX or Vermont once I get established. I really want to just stay in Vermont for a long time, it seems so free and like there's so much to do.

'Vermonters', tell me about Vermont more! lol

Old 07-25-2008, 02:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Taxes will cost an arm and a leg, maybe even your first born, considering the jobs situation here. I'm leaving the state in the Spring assuming I have the money. VT is definately a very big improvement over NJ though, I'd never even step foot in NJ myself, nor NYC, if I can avoid either. Crowded, polluted, and far from free.

VT is nice if you can afford it though...

Old 07-25-2008, 02:33 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
I'm from NY (outside NYC) and I have to tell you it is very nice here physically but like all places you need to make a living. In NJ you make good money I assume. Come here and that is not so simple (though not impossible).

The big thing I notice is the tourist trade and how many jobs piggyback off pleasing people with the big $ from out of state. I am not used to that sort of economy and the attitude of the 'visitors' (not all, some).

It can be annoying.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:18 AM

469 posts, read 1,640,699 times
How is it hard to make a living? Is it the pay or the job-finding? I mean I HATE the snow and it being so cold (and also so humid) but Vermont is so free one of the freeest states as some states are really 1984 police states. Vermont has a higher level of everything dealing with food and agriculture. The people seem to be cool.

I'm a city person but hate crime and how some cities there are less right for the people and appartently more for the criminals. Burlington appears like a big city that has its head screwed on straight. lol.

Can anyone tell me about Burlington?

Also are there any good schools for music production in Burlington/VT like IAR and SAE are in New York?

Old 07-27-2008, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 12,444 times
I have lived in Lyndonville, Vermont for 30 years and wouldn't live anywhere else except I am looking to go to Hawaii for the winter. Its the first year I felt like coping out. One reason for leaving this beautiful state is I have enough air miles for two free flights & want to spend one winter away in Hawaii to try it out.

I am an skier and skied 5 times last winter which was the best year for the sport. But keeping up with the snow storm's turned me to thinking about Hawaii.

As far as Burlington Vermont goes its a great town with awesome views with the mountains and Lake Champlain views or the mountains of NY across the lake.

Good luck with your decision.

Warren

Old 07-27-2008, 05:05 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
VT is a police state-there just aren't that many police. If not a police state then a nanny state. VT has one of the highest per capita number of public employees(they have to regulate something) and is one of the worst places to build(businesses or houses). Also VT is significantly colder than southern NH or MA. Try it if you want, but it ain't pretty up here. Just a bit more painting for me and the house goes on the market. Yippeee.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:30 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Alaska's Unorganized Borough is probably the most free area of the U.S. VT did lead the way, sort of, in having nice gun laws though (because of the state's Supreme Court's decision in 1903 in State v. Rosenthal though, and I will warn you Rutland City's police still haven't quite gotten the hint that carrying firearms can't be restricted, they still occasionally hassle people who open carry). VT is very heavily taxed and building anything is heavily regulated and there's expensive red tape to cut through...my property in AK on the other hand, has no taxes, no building permits, no building codes, I can pretty much do whatever I want there without worrying about getting some bureaucrat's approval. VT is much more free than states like NY, MA, NJ, CA, etc., but it is not, by a longshot, the most free. However the OP doesn't like cold and snow so, VT may be bad, and Alaska would be worse.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:46 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
VT is a police state-there just aren't that many police. If not a police state then a nanny state.
Cue Twilight Zone music.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:14 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
I'm sure there is a law in VT against playing music without a permit

Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
As a reasonable person, I'm quite happy with the laws in Vermont. I'll give up some of my freedom to protect myself from some of the lazy and full blown screwballs here. Any laws that people whine about don't effect me because I'm a responsible person who is considerate of others.

Concernng the recent strict smoking laws I can say only one thing- Thank God!!!!!! Yes other people have their rights, but once they infringe upon the rights of innocent bystanders (stinking up others' hair and clothes ) they've crossed the line.

How about "It's my property and I'll do what I want with it!."? I've owned property for a long time, I've never had to utter these words. These words are usually uttered by people who are shooting at animals on their land next to schools, other houses etc. Or being forced to clean up a smelly and unsightly yard. Or forced to get rid of the rusy cars they've accumulated in their front yard. Take a good look at the people uttering these words, they're never the brain surgeons of society. As a matter of fact, they are usually from a long family line that has been detrimental to society.

Freedom. No thanks. Take a look at the people on Jerry Springer, they are everywhere. I'll give up some of my freedom so they don't have freedom to do whatever they want.

Look at the yards of about 25 percent of Vermonters. Give me more laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont