Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM

367 posts, read 696,123 times

Advertisements

This about Vermont from someone who finally had the sense to leave........

1) It is COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) The people are nice and all but stuffy.

3) Rednecks are awful. They don't like blacks, hispanics, Asians, etc. If you are gay then forget it!! (See the "Take Back Vermont" signs)

4) The cost of living is high, but somewhat tolerable if you have money in the bank.

5) Did I mention the cold?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 PM

219 posts, read 481,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I'm sure there is a law in VT against playing music without a permit
What the bleep?! That sounds more like a RIAA law!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM

31 posts, read 141,021 times
This is hysterical. I have read many good points here from locals and newbee's, but folks just a little thought here I need to interject. I've been to Vermont a few times. Frankly, it's a refreshingly beautiful place with breathtaking views and the folks further North (Caladonia) are just about as nice and regular as you can get. Quite candidly however, nobody is going to invite your in for Green Mountain coffee unless they know you! Lets be honest.

Remember something, if your on vacation somewhere and your not living and working there, of course its GREAT! If you are of the average middle class grinding away (like the rest of us with kids and family) then its just like anywhere else (given respect to the extreme climates of course). You move to VT because you want a simple clean quality of life with out the URABANIA MANIA. Sorry, but I'm from Rhode Island the dirty pig pen state that has been invaded by illegal immagrants, business sharks, and crooked politicians who are raisinig our taxes every year. Every five feet is a four family house and a crowded street with a traffic jam on the corner. The average citizen is untrustworthy at the very least. You people think you have troubles? Just take drive on the highway Interstate 95 through RI and you'll sample what I mean - if you survive it.

So, by comparison, VT is a lovely place to be compared to this HELL, but its all relative to a degree friends. One thing you can count on is where ever you go, your gonna pay taxes and your going to have to contend with other people. This world has no shortage of people.....remember that.

Life is what you make of it wherever you are. Heck If I had alot of money...... ANYWHERE would be a nice place to live LMAO................................ The only thing that can realy ruin your future more is if you vote for that moron Barack Obama again. Well, pleasure chatting with all of you on my break today. I have to go and work my fourth job now to buy food for this week to stay alive. Take care all......

Last edited by Silver Lake Patriot 1970; 08-19-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-19-2009, 03:50 PM

159 posts, read 405,387 times
Not sure what town Quickdraw lives in but in most of Vermont trying to get the law to do something about someones yard full of rusty junk cars is like talking to a brick wall. Most of Vermonts laws people complain about have to do with restricting building of any kind. Too many people have come into Vermont and now want to keep it the quaint postcard perfect eden. Taxes are extremely high, you have to heat your home 9 months a year, the only shopping is in neighboring states as well as most cultural activities. The average Vermonter cannot afford to ski at any of the many ski areas unless he walks up the hill. The vast majority of decent jobs are service related, either teaching, medical or working for the towns or state, most everyone else flips burgers or turns down sheets at a motel because the good paying private sector jobs left long ago. The few old time Vermonters that are left are quiet, hard working, keep to themselves people, but much of Vermont suffers from the influx of large numbers of people from NY and other places who have come to Vermont and want to change 250 years of Vermont Yankee culture and into modern yuppie, liberal. Most of our politicians fall into that mold including Howard Dean and Bernie Sanders who found little Vermont an easy place to make a name for themselves. So it depends which Vermont you're referring to when you ask about the people, the original "you can't get there from here" yankee or the latte slurping transplant from the cities.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 AM

914 posts, read 2,920,627 times
Gee, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:44 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
Too many people have come into Vermont and now want to keep it the quaint postcard perfect eden.
Well then I say thank goodness for the transplants.

It's always nice to have someone to blame when life is disappointing, it's hard to accept fault.

"My life would be great if it wasn't for the out of staters."
"I'd have more money".
"I'd have more friends".
"I'd be thinner".

Same whining in every thread in every state.

and ya know...Springfield?

Last edited by quickdraw; 08-20-2009 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclown View Post
This about Vermont from someone who finally had the sense to leave........

1) It is COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) The people are nice and all but stuffy.

3) Rednecks are awful. They don't like blacks, hispanics, Asians, etc. If you are gay then forget it!! (See the "Take Back Vermont" signs)

4) The cost of living is high, but somewhat tolerable if you have money in the bank.

5) Did I mention the cold?
I like your location

"at last....... Jacksonville, Fl"

kind of reminds me of

"yeah baby......Scranton, PA"

Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 AM

159 posts, read 405,387 times
Sounds like Quickdraw may be one of those transplants who don't want anyone to do anything with their own property which might affect his view or his idea of what Vermont should be like. It's easy to be happy when you've already got yours but the facts stand that the brightest and most ambitious of Vermonts youth have to leave the state to find jobs if they wish to work in something other than service industries. As I said the old real time Vermonters people think of were quiet, hard working mind-their-own-business yankees, you don't see many of them anymore. If someone were interested in reading the history of Vermont they might learn that in 1900 Vermont was 80% pasture and 20 wooded, it is now 80% wooded and 20% open, and I use the term open in place of pasture because most of the farms Vermont is famous for were forced out of business, facts...not whine.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
If someone were interested in reading the history of Vermont they might learn that in 1900 Vermont was 80% pasture and 20 wooded, it is now 80% wooded and 20% open, and I use the term open in place of pasture because most of the farms Vermont is famous for were forced out of business
I had heard a figure very similar to that which you've quoted re: 1900. Plenty of old growth forest was cut down to make way for pasture and farmland.

IMHO we can't solely blame transplants for the demise of the state's economy and job opportunities.

Touring a local farm, the owner explained that in the late 70's the federal government offered incentives to small farms to stop producing milk. Going a few decades further back we have the emergence of artificial fibers into the market which were easier to care for than wool which cut back on the demand for fleece. Foreign manufacturers started producing cheaper goods and US business siezed the opportunity for cheaper at the cost of local jobs. (Look at all the abandoned mills throughout New England.)

We are seeing an awakening as more people are becoming environmentally conscientious. Outside people associate Vermont with nature, cleanliness, healthy, active living. (Let's forego politics for now.) The State should grasp this, market and brand it. In the past I've suggested economic zones within the state. Place them outside of places such as Rutland, Bennington, Bratt, WRJ, Montpelier, St Johnsbury, Burlington. It wouldn't interfere with the natural beauty of the state and thus preserve tourism there. Pursue green businesses, research think tanks which can be tied in with the local colleges and universities -- thus retaining some of the best and brightest. Encourage organic farming and food operations with incentives and grants. More careers and jobs could be created while maintaining Vermont's world-reknowned beauty.

I wish I were a full time resident as I would like to be able to become involved with the state's direction.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I wish I were a full time resident as I would like to be able to become involved with the state's direction.

With ideas like yours, I wish you were here full time, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont