Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:51 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuy39 View Post
Im from Connecticut and plan on moving to the Lunenburg area, but not in town. So am I a "flatlander"? The reason for going up there is my friend's family is up there and we are close and Im sick of the yupees and city life in Connecticut. I want to live out in the woods on a few acres, be able to shoot a gun in my yard and ride a dirt bike on my property. Just wondering what the Vermonters on here think about that. Also, Im not liberal, and Im not really into politics but I cant stand development and bringing strip malls in, ect. Is that a liberl view? Or is it the complete opposite? Im just wondering if Vermonters are for developing or againts development.
You should fit in relatively well in that area...

Old 01-06-2010, 03:14 PM

23 posts, read 41,573 times
Wanted to clear something up about keeping Vermont clean. You say you like the country feel of Vermont, so do I. But wanting laws to clean up peoples yards? Thats part of the care free, slow paced Vermont style. If you start getting laws like that, youll get more people wanting to move up there. That will bring more housing, then more stores, ect. The state is "free" and it should remain that way. By your likings I would think "messy" yards wouldnt bother you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I understand the southern hospitality thing, but I'm guessing when you say Northern Virginia you mean the DC area. Once you get into the suburbs the whole regional thing goes out the window. You just live in the suburbs, with people from different parts of the country coming and going at an alarmingly fast rate. However, I once stayed in Cheasapeake Virginia for 60 days and I'd have to say I've never seen more hospitable people. Whenever folks found out I was living out of a hotel they always invited me over for a meal.

What do you think of Charlottesville? A lot of people compare Burlington to Charlottesville? The people who owned the house I bought here moved to that area. I had to call them once about the furnace and they said they were glad to be out of Vermont because they "finally got some sun. People talk about Vermont being cold, I can deal with that, it's part of the Vermont package. What I didn't know is how cloudy it is here.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 14,744 times
Smile Colchester Is what I consider for you.

I tell you what, I think you should move to Colchester Vermont. It's a beatiful area. The town is about 28 miles wide. It's very wide spread and nice. I consider this. It does have 17,000 people in the town but a grand amount of them live in the Malletts bay area. The town has no crime at all and is very nice and rural. It has a ton of farming land. I consider this. There's a lot of farms in Colchester. It's surronded by Milton and the Champlain Islands which also have farming. The farming in those places aren't that good as Colchester. It's a very good farming area. If you want to live closer to say Burlington I consider moving toward Malletts Bay. It's got a very nice marnia right on Lake Champlain. It has very nice people in this town. Colchester is one of the most nicest towns in Vermont. It's next to Burlington too, so if you want to go to downtown Burlington (which does not have any crime at all) you'll only be 5 minutes away. It's very nice. I consider moving here. If you want to get out of NJ, Vermont is the place to go. It's funny because my family lives in NJ and wants to come here to Vermont and they always ask me what town they should go to and I simply said Colchester because it is such a nice place. I know a few people who moved here and will never move agian because they love it so much. The schools are great, there's no crime, it's nice, it has farms, the lake, and a decent population, it has boats, big houses, woods, open spaces. It has it all my friend!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 PM

22 posts, read 99,194 times
Vermont is very beautiful, has lovely fall scenery, and has the best maple syrup in the world. It is ranked one of the country's healthiest states also! However, the people are very liberal and/or outdoorsy..so if you don't like that, well...otherwise, its a beautiful place to live!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
Vermont is very beautiful, has lovely fall scenery, and has the best maple syrup in the world. It is ranked one of the country's healthiest states also! However, the people are very liberal and/or outdoorsy..so if you don't like that, well...otherwise, its a beautiful place to live!
I think this may need a qualifying statement...........there are many areas where the folks are "liberal" however there are plenty of areas that are "conservative" as well.......some very. So let's not paint with such a wide brush that the majority of VT is "liberal". NTTAWWT

The "high" population centers in VT tend to be "liberal" the rest, not so much.

Just my experience.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
I think this may need a qualifying statement...........there are many areas where the folks are "liberal" however there are plenty of areas that are "conservative" as well.......some very. So let's not paint with such a wide brush that the majority of VT is "liberal". NTTAWWT

The "high" population centers in VT tend to be "liberal" the rest, not so much.

Just my experience.
Nope. Hang around a bit more. Look at Sanders election results. VT was second only to HI in percentage of votes for Obama. Good bad or indifferent VT is one of the most overwhelmingly liberal places in the country. I'm not claiming causation for VT's ills, just stating the reality.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Here’s the thing……

In population, yes VT has a lot of people who are liberal and vote liberal……..but once you venture out of the heavily populated areas (and let’s be clear here we mean heavily populated for Vermont), things are much more middle to conservative. Population-wise you’re going to get geographically small areas with high population which tends to be liberal. Get out away from the “cities” and into the vast rural landscape and you have a ton of “areas” that are much more conservative. Granted they may only have a handful of people but they are going to be a little different than Burlington regulars.

Where we are in the NEK, things are slightly different than Burlington or St Albans, Middlbury, Brattleboro, Bennington, WRJ, etc.

Last edited by Logs and Dogs; 01-14-2010 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: because I can

Old 01-14-2010, 11:26 AM

Yeah but policy is set by the majority left. Town meetings be damned there is no local control of anything.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 PM

I’ll give you that Mustmove, I agree with you. I was originally addressing the poster that made the generalization that “Vermont people are very liberal and/or outdoorsy”.

Based on my experience in the NEK, part of that statement is true (outdoors) the other is patently false (which works for us personally).

Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 PM

If you are conservative and live part time in VT best thing to do is ignore VT politics completely. Some day the property taxes might drive you out, but otherwise you'd be best to ignore everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont