Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:56 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
I'm from the New North End. Sometimes I call it South Colchester. In high school, I tried to explain where I lived to people I worked with downtown, and they didn't know the New North End existed.
Basically, Burlington is for the very poor and the very rich, and not much else.
That's a good point. When people ask where the New North End is, the only reference point is Colchester. South Burlington has more ties to Burlington than the New North End in many ways.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:37 AM

459 posts, read 1,037,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
That's a good point. When people ask where the New North End is, the only reference point is Colchester. South Burlington has more ties to Burlington than the New North End in many ways.
Where is it? Its at the end of North Ave. I've always sort of considered BHS as the unofficial line between New North End/North End, so the fact that the only public high school in town is arguably in the New North End should help people find it.
If BHS isn't the New North End, then immediately past BHS certainly is.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Quote:
I'm from the New North End. Sometimes I call it South Colchester. In high school, I tried to explain where I lived to people I worked with downtown, and they didn't know the New North End existed.
Basically, Burlington is for the very poor and the very rich, and not much else.
We agree on something Maybe not very rich. But getting close to rich.

If I didn't have to go to the DMV every now and then, there's a good chance
I would have never been in the New North End. And I've lived here for 5 years.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:10 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,805,542 times
Quote:
Burlington is the prime example but you could say as that about the whole state.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM

459 posts, read 1,037,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
We agree on something Maybe not very rich. But getting close to rich.

If I didn't have to go to the DMV every now and then, there's a good chance
I would have never been in the New North End. And I've lived here for 5 years.
North Beach? Leddy? Ethan Allen Homestead?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
hey arctichomesteader---if you got property in alaska, what the heck are you doing so far south???happiest years of my life was when i lived in sitka alaska...now stuck in 3rd world country of the inglorious state of mississippi...retired and trying desperately to get out of here...from what i have been reading in this forum...accusations of anti this, anti that...dont seem too bad. looking at vermont in NE, back to new mexico for desert, colorado for mountain ...great little town of westcliff keeps calling me back to colorado and rockies...like the old country song goes...if you dont love it, leave it.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belenalley1 View Post
hey arctichomesteader---if you got property in alaska, what the heck are you doing so far south???happiest years of my life was when i lived in sitka alaska...now stuck in 3rd world country of the inglorious state of mississippi...retired and trying desperately to get out of here...from what i have been reading in this forum...accusations of anti this, anti that...dont seem too bad. looking at vermont in NE, back to new mexico for desert, colorado for mountain ...great little town of westcliff keeps calling me back to colorado and rockies...like the old country song goes...if you dont love it, leave it.
Financial and family issues kept me from going up yet...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM

31 posts, read 141,021 times
Listen to you people bickering over opinions. The bottom line is life is what you make it to be. Its not about anything more than acceptance. If you have money, ANYWHERE IS GOOD lets be honest with ourselves. There are compremises and sacrifices that need to be made. Everyone has a unique situation and you can not just give a blanket universal synopsis of any one particular area. Getting some opinions are valuable to a degree, but not to carry much weight with. I like to refer to this as Common Sense values. Do some research on statistics from reliable sources i.e. crime, schools, job market (for you) and costs of living. Then make your decision where you want to live and then GO SEE THE PLACE FOR YOURSELF! Then decide by talking to the locals if its for you? One thing I never see on here is people announcing a long term plan?

Ask yourself, "What type of life do I want to retire to?" And start preparing for it now. Good luck with that.

If you think where you are is bad, remember there are worse places out there. If your looking for a utopian society, try reading the bible chapter 1 "The Garden of Eden" - GONE, good luck in the quest, if you find it......don't tell anybody.

Meantime, everybody get back to work before your bosses see you typing on the computer. Don't you realize you have taxes to pay, over priced food to buy, and products you charged on visa as well as cell phones, utilitiesa, gas, and 85% of your income has to go to the American Dream?

GOOD BYE

Old 10-23-2009, 07:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Lake Patriot 1970 View Post
There are compremises and sacrifices that need to be made. Everyone has a unique situation and you can not just give a blanket universal synopsis of any one particular area. Getting some opinions are valuable to a degree, but not to carry much weight with.
Ask yourself, "What type of life do I want to retire to?" And start preparing for it now. Good luck with that.
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Silver Lake Patriot. Although financial is an important part of your decision when moving, too many people forget the "what is there to do? Activities? Hobbies? Community?

There are so many posts on city-data where people moved to XX state, cheaper this and cheaper that, BUT there isn't anything to do and they miss family and friends. So do the research and look at ALL aspects of the move, not just financial.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
Cheaper living is not the goal. Higher salaries are the goal. Move to where you can make the most. The price of stuff is often set outside of whatever cheap place you may live. VT fails on cheap and on high salaries. Forget about retirement, retirement was a pyramid scheme that has come and gone. Best to find yourself white collar work that can be done well into old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont