Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times

Advertisements

For skiing industry, MA is the state we get the most from.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:29 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,805,542 times
See a lot more NY plates at Killington

Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 PM

459 posts, read 1,037,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
How is it hard to make a living? Is it the pay or the job-finding? I mean I HATE the snow and it being so cold (and also so humid) but Vermont is so free one of the freeest states as some states are really 1984 police states. Vermont has a higher level of everything dealing with food and agriculture. The people seem to be cool.

I'm a city person but hate crime and how some cities there are less right for the people and appartently more for the criminals. Burlington appears like a big city that has its head screwed on straight. lol.

Can anyone tell me about Burlington?

Also are there any good schools for music production in Burlington/VT like IAR and SAE are in New York?
There are very little jobs beyond the service industry. Cost of living and wages are extremely out of whack, recession or not.
Burlington is in no way, shape, or form a big city.
No.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
See a lot more NY plates at Killington
The resorts south of Rt 4 do get alot of folks from the NY area.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
There are very little jobs beyond the service industry. Cost of living and wages are extremely out of whack, recession or not.
No.

The fact that VT is the only state without a state university, and the one that goes by that name recruits little in the state and heavily in the stock broker belts around NYC speake volumes as the nature of the the snobbish character that is the norm.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
The fact that VT is the only state without a state university, and the one that goes by that name recruits little in the state and heavily in the stock broker belts around NYC speake volumes as the nature of the the snobbish character that is the norm.
It was substantially cheaper for me to go to a state school out west than it was for me to go to UVM, and I grew up in Burlington.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
It was substantially cheaper for me to go to a state school out west than it was for me to go to UVM, and I grew up in Burlington.

A familar story and a sad one.
The bright spot is you probaly got a better education.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
A familar story and a sad one.
The bright spot is you probaly got a better education.
UVM is probably a better school, but not worth the $20k extra it would have cost.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:23 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Quote:
Cost of living and wages are extremely out of whack, recession or not.
No.
Pure supply and demand. Burlington just isn't a city for the middle class anymore. I guess there's the new north end, but most people don't even consider that Burlington. There are very few thriving small cities in the north east, throw in the natural beauty and Burlington appeals to a lot of people.
Unless you want to live in North End or New North End, you better be upper middle class or willing to live in a cramped and dingy apartment-if you can find one.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Pure supply and demand. Burlington just isn't a city for the middle class anymore. I guess there's the new north end, but most people don't even consider that Burlington. There are very few thriving small cities in the north east, throw in the natural beauty and Burlington appeals to a lot of people.
Unless you want to live in North End or New North End, you better be upper middle class or willing to live in a cramped and dingy apartment-if you can find one.
I'm from the New North End. Sometimes I call it South Colchester. In high school, I tried to explain where I lived to people I worked with downtown, and they didn't know the New North End existed.
Basically, Burlington is for the very poor and the very rich, and not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont