Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,144,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Wow, what a pissing contest we have going here.
Or perhaps just a reality check. It's frustrating to see generalizations posted as if they constitute a reality that everyone will find here. It seems a common courtesy to redirect the conversation to our personal experiences of life in Vermont and to a range of factual sources.

I've never denied the cost of living here or the duration of VT winters or the fact that Northern New England is culturally distinct from other places. But I tend to step in when someone cites sweeping declarations and stereotypes as if it's factual information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 05:49 PM

8 posts, read 22,554 times
Default flu189, I wasn't trying to create

a pissing contest.....I have lived in NY on LI all of my life...if you want rude, self serving, cold people who give you the finger as they blow through stop signs, then this is the place for you. Many people here also have no regard for the very place they live. People throwing garbage out their car window is routine here. For example, the amount of garbage on the exit and entrance ramps of the highways is staggering in some places...truly disgusting.

I don't know if I can make it on 40K there in VT, but I am willing to give it a try if I can find a teaching job in a decent district. Life is no bowl of cherries down here.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrmont View Post
a pissing contest.....I have lived in NY on LI all of my life...if you want rude, self serving, cold people who give you the finger as they blow through stop signs, then this is the place for you. Many people here also have no regard for the very place they live. People throwing garbage out their car window is routine here. For example, the amount of garbage on the exit and entrance ramps of the highways is staggering in some places...truly disgusting.

I don't know if I can make it on 40K there in VT, but I am willing to give it a try if I can find a teaching job in a decent district. Life is no bowl of cherries down here.
Fully understand what you are experiencing. I too grew up west of you in NYC where for example it was routine by the time we left to see people too lazy to leave their apartments to throw trash down the incinerator shaft opting instead to heave full bags from multiple stories up down to the street.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 PM

862 posts, read 1,055,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveeveryone View Post
Winters are long in vermont and they seem to drag on but we do have really nice air thats clean hardly any air pollution and the crime in vermont is low..
I have noticed quiet
Considerable air polution in SW-VT downwind of NY Capitol area.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,285,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrmont View Post

Brrrmont, my husband and I grew up on LI. I am extremely offended by your description of LI residents. In my opinion (I have not facts to base this), in every state you will have different towns, or hamlets with different elements of people. For about eight years I worked directly with the public on LI; I could tell within 60 seconds which hamlet the residents resided in before they gave me their address, just by the way they spoke.
Vermont is no different than Long Island....people that live in more affluent communities will want and have the better things that life has to offer. I do admit that it feels good to see pickups instead of Mercedes sports cars. Also, it is one thing to be a tourist in Vermont, it is another to actually live here, especially in the more rural areas.
Yes, Long Islanders throw garbage out of their car windows, but so do Vermonters. It is all in the way you are raised. With only 600,000 people living in the whole state of VT, you will see less garbage then in more populated areas. I was up in the Williston area today and I thought it was more crowded then LI. I could not believe all the stores in that area.
My husband and I took a lot for granted when we lived on LI. We miss the fresh seafood and the ocean. With the price that gas is today, we wish we were closer to a major town. Our health insurance is paid for us through our retirement plan, but it cost almost $50.00 in gas to go to a reputable dermotologist. We have animals and can't find anyone responsible enough to care for them so we can go away for even one night.
We made a good salary for what most would consider a part time job. If we had to do it over again, we would have stayed on Long Island a few more years to put more money away for our retirement. You have to be a strong person emotionally to survive here. It is not easy financially in VT, but I will say it is a beautiful place to live. I thank the Lord everyday for my life here. What I am trying to say (I am really tired so I'm having trouble writing) is that you think you hate where you live at the moment, but whereever you move to, you will see that every place has it's good and bad points. Good night!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,110,787 times
We are from LI originally but have lived in several places around the globe as well. You will always find places some people like and prosper in, as well as places some people HATE, no matter how many others say it is great there.

It is up to you to try and find your spot.

Not to run down LI but I hated living there. For our family, it was not the right fit. I have the majority of my family in Long Island but that was not the place for us. We will never have the right 'mentality' or finances to be happy there.

Vermont is a nice place, again, it depends WHERE in VT you are and what you are looking for.

Yes, there is garbage by the side of the road. I mentioned this the other day to my husband that it's starting to look like NY with the junk near 91.

As for friendly or not, that is up to the person to decide. I have not made any friends in a year but people are friendly. They say hi to strangers when walking, hiking, whatever. The same for NH. No one spends hours (except for one weirdo I used to work with but she has issues) going on about 'what they own' and trying to impress others about their $15,000 fences or whatever like in "NY"/LI. We moved to get away from that 'bragging money mentality.'

Again, this is not to run down Long Island or say Vermont/NH is a paradise. I think a lot of people like their privacy here and you will find them insular because they WANT to be. Then again, you can find a billion volunteer opportunities and meet others that way. However, we have to support ourselves and right now that is not an option.

There are good points to all places. There are bad points.

It's just a matter of what works for you. (and what you are willing to tolerate or not tolerate).

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 09-23-2008 at 05:10 AM..

Old 09-23-2008, 05:15 AM

894 posts, read 1,564,978 times
Trash on the side of the roads- of course there is, because VT has made throwing stuff away so damned expensive. It'll only get worse. Open container law, well what's a country boy to do when they finish their container? Exactly welcome to the state of unintended consequences. There is no exception in the open container law for driving beer bottles to recycling, haven't heard of anyone getting busted but I guess you can. Besides throwing trash out the window will give the greenies something to be smug about when they pick it up on Green Up Day.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,285,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Trash on the side of the roads- of course there is, because VT has made throwing stuff away so damned expensive. It'll only get worse. Open container law, well what's a country boy to do when they finish their container? Exactly welcome to the state of unintended consequences. There is no exception in the open container law for driving beer bottles to recycling, haven't heard of anyone getting busted but I guess you can. Besides throwing trash out the window will give the greenies something to be smug about when they pick it up on Green Up Day.
It is quite expensive to dispose of trash here. On LI, it was paid for through our taxes. When I was living there, I think we paid about $300.00 a year, but the garbage collector took almost anything.
People don't flaunt their wealth like on Long Island...that's for sure. I used to laugh to myself when I would see the people gardening with their matching gardening attire (gloves to match their LLBean boots). They looked better playing in the dirt then I did going to work!
There is good and bad anywhere you choose to live. I think it takes a bit longer to find your place in VT. I think the people are more accepting of us now that they know we didn't come to VT to try to push our beliefs on them.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,843 times
The cost of discarding refuse here definitely contributes to the fact that certain people will travel down back roads and pitch old furniture, appliances, building waste, tires, waste oil, and even weekly household trash bags off the road, usually near inclines and ravines which makes it hard to clean up. Overall, the roads here are still much cleaner than anywhere else I have lived, it's just that the litterers take the time to try and conceal their crime here. Then again, some just put their junk beside the road with a "free" sign attached where it sits for weeks or even months. Guess it saves gas trying to find a place to pitch and conceal it.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 22,554 times
Default Nylier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Brrrmont, my husband and I grew up on LI. I am extremely offended by your description of LI residents. In my opinion (I have not facts to base this), in every state you will have different towns, or hamlets with different elements of people. For about eight years I worked directly with the public on LI; I could tell within 60 seconds which hamlet the residents resided in before they gave me their address, just by the way they spoke.
Vermont is no different than Long Island....people that live in more affluent communities will want and have the better things that life has to offer. I do admit that it feels good to see pickups instead of Mercedes sports cars. Also, it is one thing to be a tourist in Vermont, it is another to actually live here, especially in the more rural areas.
Yes, Long Islanders throw garbage out of their car windows, but so do Vermonters. It is all in the way you are raised. With only 600,000 people living in the whole state of VT, you will see less garbage then in more populated areas. I was up in the Williston area today and I thought it was more crowded then LI. I could not believe all the stores in that area.
My husband and I took a lot for granted when we lived on LI. We miss the fresh seafood and the ocean. With the price that gas is today, we wish we were closer to a major town. Our health insurance is paid for us through our retirement plan, but it cost almost $50.00 in gas to go to a reputable dermotologist. We have animals and can't find anyone responsible enough to care for them so we can go away for even one night.
We made a good salary for what most would consider a part time job. If we had to do it over again, we would have stayed on Long Island a few more years to put more money away for our retirement. You have to be a strong person emotionally to survive here. It is not easy financially in VT, but I will say it is a beautiful place to live. I thank the Lord everyday for my life here. What I am trying to say (I am really tired so I'm having trouble writing) is that you think you hate where you live at the moment, but whereever you move to, you will see that every place has it's good and bad points. Good night!

I am sorry if you are offended, but I have also lived here my entire life and I really can't understand how you are so offended by what I said. I didn't say ALL people on LI (I know some very good people here), but I would say the majority. Don't forget, 51% make a majority, though I think the percentage is higher than that.

Many people are rude here. If you have lived here all your life, I cannot see how you say we don't have an abundance of cold people here. Yes, there are some very nice people here, as there are everywhere. But quite frankly, I am tired of getting cut off on the Long Island Expressway, or even on local roads for that matter. Life is hard here and people are often stressed, and they zoom all over the place.

And as for the garbage, what about along the LIE or on the exit or entrance ramps? It is disgusting. I don't understand how people could care less about where they live.

Look, I don't think Vermont is the perfect place, no place really is (if someone knows of paradise, please let all of us here know). And yes, there are many things on LI that we take for granted here, like garbage disposal and fresh fish. But life seems slower and more peaceful up there. I may be wrong about this, but after 20 years of traveling to Vermont and New England, I would have to say chances are pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont