Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:58 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,282,395 times

Advertisements

Everytime someone doesn't paint VT as picture perfect in every way, someone else rights a post that they are bashing VT. If someone starts a thread, don't you think they want to hear the pros and cons on the topic in question? These posts accusing people of "bashing VT" is getting old. I think this is a very sensitive topic because some work in this field or have family that does. The elementary school in my area employees over 40 teachers, not counting aides, paraeducators and subs. The school has around 138 children. Teachers in other districts told me that these children are way below level.
Parents are working two and three jobs to make ends meet. They come home and they are tired. They depend on these teachers to give their children a good education. I am not saying their aren't good teachers in VT. I'm sure there are but I just feel VT schools need a overhaul. I'm sorry....I'm not going to paint everything with rose-colored glasses. Debating is healthy....I don't see it as bashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 PM

894 posts, read 1,562,733 times
I'm sorry I misspoke. Schools in VT are great they must be as they are the most expensive in the country. My life here in VT is out of the pages of VT life magazine, I only talk ill of VT to stop more flatlanders like myself from coming up here and ruining what I already have. I guess I should share VT's splendidness with the world. Come on up everyone, we'll make room. Time to go read my free VT reads Robert Frost book then I get to split wood for fun, just like he used to.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:45 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,284,536 times
There is a difference between stating your opinion vs. posting wide generalizations about how all Vermont schools are bad.
NYLier, if you are unhappy with your school district, then thats your perogative/opinion and I respect that.

I think it's the broad sweeping generalizations with no facts to back up the claims are what "upset" peope here, not individual opinions on specific situations.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Vter, if you look at my first post, I stated that I'm sure that Town's like Middlebury, Manchester and Woodstock have good schools. I don't want to offend the residents of my Town so I won't state where I live, but the children are behind in reading because most of the parents don't know how to read. I also agree that education starts at home, but I don't feel that a parent should have to be involved with the school every step of the way. It wasn't necessary when my children were in school and they did fine. My daughter never had to study and she aced everything. My son was the complete opposite. I was a single Mom and it was very hard to be involved with the school at all times. I also don't want anyone to think that I feel VTers are ignorant because I don't feel that at all. Most of the people on this post seem to be very educated people and I feel Vters are tough, hard workers. I do feel that people should treat this forum for what it is.....a place to discuss the issues of Vermont. It is not nice to say people are bashing VT because we think differently. This is the place I come to learn about anything that interests me. I stated on my previous post what I saw at some of these schools firsthand, with my own eyes. You can't get any closer then that. It is a shame that people have to feel they can't post openly. It seems this forum is becoming a place to bash others in general. Very sad indeed.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,284,536 times
Want to clarify, when I wrote "stating your opinion", I didnt mean you specifically-it was a generalization. You have write your opinions well and "back them up". Like I said, I respect that. I'm sorry you have had some bad experiences in the school system...have you ever thought about running for school board? Talk about getting yourself into a political mindfield LOL.
I agree with you in your first post that educations costs here in VT have gone mad...I think consolidation is a very valid idea worth looking into seriously.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:16 PM

894 posts, read 1,562,733 times
Consolidation is a bad idea in my opinion. I live in a recently expanded district and the HS is a 45 minute drive in good weather/no traffic. Vouchers or rebates. NY state and others gives private school students half of the state cost of education. Saves the state money and helps parents use private schools.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Want to clarify, when I wrote "stating your opinion", I didnt mean you specifically-it was a generalization. You have write your opinions well and "back them up". Like I said, I respect that. I'm sorry you have had some bad experiences in the school system...have you ever thought about running for school board? Talk about getting yourself into a political mindfield LOL.
I agree with you in your first post that educations costs here in VT have gone mad...I think consolidation is a very valid idea worth looking into seriously.
VTer, I worked directly with politician for over twenty years. Our Town was nicknamed "Crookhaven"....real name Brookhaven. OhBeeHave knows exactly what I am talking about. The greedy politicians lined their pockets and destroyed, what was once a beautiful place to live. After living down there and working with the public, I bought a house with a long driveway and a lot of property. I don't think this small town would appreciate an outsider wanting to be on the school board, do you? I was thinking about going to the school and selectboard meetings though. Town Meeting Day is a must!! Thanks for the advise!! Always appreciated!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Consolidation is a bad idea in my opinion. I live in a recently expanded district and the HS is a 45 minute drive in good weather/no traffic. Vouchers or rebates. NY state and others gives private school students half of the state cost of education. Saves the state money and helps parents use private schools.
I'm not saying that we should consolidate schools that are thirty miles apart. I know of two schools very close to our elementary school that could join together. If one high school can consolidate all these districts, why can't the elementary schools?
Consolidation of schools will never be because many teachers will be out of work. I don't think the State of VT wants to see that happen. I don't want to see people losing their jobs either, especially now. I just don't want to see my school taxes go up for a few years.
They had private and catholic schools where I grew up and I don't think it is healthy emotionally for the children. They never get to be part of the public school activity and I always felt it was harder for them to fit in socially. They are on the outside looking in.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,775,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
VTer, I worked directly with politician for over twenty years. Our Town was nicknamed "Crookhaven"....real name Brookhaven. OhBeeHave knows exactly what I am talking about. The greedy politicians lined their pockets and destroyed, what was once a beautiful place to live. After living down there and working with the public, I bought a house with a long driveway and a lot of property. I don't think this small town would appreciate an outsider wanting to be on the school board, do you? I was thinking about going to the school and selectboard meetings though. Town Meeting Day is a must!! Thanks for the advise!! Always appreciated!
Don't forget that the Town of Crookhaven has a population which was 472,425 people in 2004, while VT's was 623,908 in 2006. Given the rate of growth in Crookhaven, we should be somewhere in the low 500's to 510's by now.

Vermont is 2000 sq miles; the Town of Brookhaven is only 326 sq miles.

Can you imagine a Town Meeting Day here? It would be like all of VT descending upon Montpelier!

It would be a great thing to be able to be heard, but that is a pipe dream.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,836,705 times
Vermont did a statewide hotly contested consolidation in the late 60's/early 70's of high schools. There are still some small local high schools that IMHO offer both disadvantages and advantages vs a larger regional HS. A few schools still haven't come up with a name so there are a few HS's like U-32 in East Montpelier.

According the Vermont Constitution, the school system is a state managed system and every student in every district deserves equal access to that educational system. Other states, you have elite schools in wealthy places and poor schools in not so wealthy of a district.

Which system is better is certainly debatable. A new more equatable system was mandated by the Vermont Supreme Court...enter Act 60. Alot of folks want the Vermont Legislature to change the system but to be honest, since a vast majority of Vermont's school districts benefit by Act 60/68. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Here is a link to a state by state education comparison. It's a combination of many diferent varables involving each state's education
http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm

BTW, Vermont is not perfect and I have no problem with negetive comments as long as they are factual. As Vter posted, I too have no problem with personal experiences, positive or negetive but to take that experience and paint the entire state with the same brush it is not right and I will sometimes challenge it.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 08-07-2008 at 11:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont