Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times

Advertisements

Despite the many Vermont haters constantly bashing the education system in here, the facts tell a diferent story.
Vermont students score well on SATs: Times Argus Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Thanks for posting the article. Good news indeed. Good to see that the scores are increasing as well.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
When corrected for race VT's test scores are in the middle of the pack. Not great for being number one in per capita student spending. It's lack of diversity, not good schools.
Let's pretend Vt had the best educated students in the world- what good would it do the state? The kids would only leave faster and build wealth elsewhere.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 AM

Mustmove, do you have a source for your claim? I'd like to see it.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Despite the many Vermont haters constantly bashing the education system in here, the facts tell a diferent story.
Vermont students score well on SATs: Times Argus Online
Why do middle class people think anyone who disagrees with them hates
Vermont?
True love is not blind, on the contrary it alone sees clearly and it alone
calls attention to the beloved faults -it alone grieves at seeing the beloved not being what i could etc.
And the basis of the "vermont haters " on here comments comes from a broken heart not a hating one.
And drinking kool-aid is bad medicine.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
If I had to take a guess, it's not what the 'haters' say, it's more of how they say it.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Mustmove, do you have a source for your claim? I'd like to see it.
Short version here there are links off the article with more.
Vermont Tiger: Grading Those Test Scores by Hugh Kemper

Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Thanks. Not familiar with that blog, but I'll take a look.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Why do middle class people think anyone who disagrees with them hates
Vermont?
True love is not blind, on the contrary it alone sees clearly and it alone
calls attention to the beloved faults -it alone grieves at seeing the beloved not being what i could etc.
And the basis of the "vermont haters " on here comments comes from a broken heart not a hating one.
And drinking kool-aid is bad medicine.
Vermont is not perfect but posting constant negetive posts score very low on the credibility scale but that's just me.

I empathsize with you but what about taking your own advise like using your energy to move to Maine or NY near the Vermont border. I am definately not middle class and neither are most of my friends who wouldn't live anywhere else. Been there done that.

One can rationalize the stats anyway you want. It tells me that if you attend school in Vermont you have a better chance of getting into college than if you were in another state where the students score poorly on their SAT's.

The state spending benchmark is $5600/student...is that really more than other states spend?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Vermont is not perfect but posting constant negetive posts score very low on the credibility scale but that's just me.

I empathsize with you but what about taking your own advise like using your energy to move to Maine or NY near the Vermont border. I am definately not middle class and neither are most of my friends who wouldn't live anywhere else. Been there done that.

One can rationalize the stats anyway you want. It tells me that if you attend school in Vermont you have a better chance of getting into college than if you were in another state where the students score poorly on their SAT's.

The state spending benchmark is $5600/student...is that really more than other states spend?

As I recall thats about $2500 less than is spent here in WI.
And ,yes it is you, posting about what is wrong is not negative but realistic. The very use of "negative" indicates am american mindset ,that I have seen no where else-that groups things into pos. and neg. categorys- sort of a Dale Carnagie method of thought.

Middle-class is not just defined by current income.I just assummed
you were by that as I could'nt imagine anyone living in Cumberland without some schekels,Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont