Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM

862 posts, read 1,055,950 times

Advertisements

Not true at all ,I've lived both places. NY does not tax pensions fron any source or
SS. VT does both,NY has better property tax relief for seniors as well,They are about the same in both states.
Most places in upstate you can heat with gas not oil.
Average 2-3 bedroom ranch etc typically muxh less than. the VT price.
You can buya similar house 5 miles from the VT border for half what it would bring in VT. I know,I've done it several times. I moved one to Manchaeter area and made 70k
quick.

Of course if you mean NYC another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM

18,363 posts, read 26,572,738 times
New York is much more expensive, I know people there, their taxes are literally through the roof, much worse than VT. There may be some properties available there for a steal because people are fleeing the state en masse. And I won't even go into NY's gun laws, yuck...

Old 09-02-2008, 03:00 PM

[quote=arctichomesteader;5096316]New York is much more expensive, I know people there, their taxes are literally through the roof, much worse than VT. There may be some properties available there for a steal because people are fleeing the state en masse. And I won't even go into NY's gun laws, yuck...[/quote

Wrong again.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM

18,363 posts, read 26,572,738 times
[quote=Alt Dach;5097044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
New York is much more expensive, I know people there, their taxes are literally through the roof, much worse than VT. There may be some properties available there for a steal because people are fleeing the state en masse. And I won't even go into NY's gun laws, yuck...[/quote

Wrong again.
LOL Prove it then.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 PM

[quote=arctichomesteader;5097744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
LOL Prove it then.
OK-soon as I become God I'll send a burning bush.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,843 times
I guess it all depends on individual circumstances. I serve in the guard with a guy who is originally from Vt (his family still lives here), but he retired from a govt job in NYS and has chosen to remain living there. He explained his choice was driven by not having a large part of his pension taxed, being able to buy a home for much less, etc. But, he also says that other expenses there are more, but not enough to make a dent into his other savings benefits. The only reason he attends drills here in Vt has to do with the specialty of his position. Then again, for some others in different economic, age, or career parameters, living in NYS can prove to be financially difficult.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,059,077 times
If currently in the San Francisco bay area- Maine with its beautiful seacoast might be a better fit for your parents. A beautiful home in one of Maine's most upscale towns on the coast will be much cheaper then California- southern Maine is also close to Boston, the climate is not quiet as cold in the winter along the Maine coast as Vermont.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM

9,331 posts, read 16,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhadley View Post
Thanx all....My parents have a huge nest egg, they have planned well. Money is not a factor. They would love a small quaint coastal town or a small village. We here the people are nicer in Maine but dont know if that is true. We also hear that the crime in Maine in lower. Low crime is important to them. My dad likes to fish, so a river lake or ocean would be nice.
Might consider the Adirondacks in NY. Beautiful area with many lakes.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 PM

518 posts, read 2,017,699 times
Post Just a thought.........

If your parents are conservative and money is no object and they want to live on a body of water with friendly people certainly have them visit the Westport/Essex/Valcour area of NY on Lake Champlain. Compared to Vermont's lakefront properties, those here are a steal. Also, I know that that area in particular is very, very Republican and in fact, former Governor Pataki (R) owned/owns a lakefront home in the Westport area. It is all very old moneyed, traditional (check out Essex, NY and fourth of July activities) on a Google search........We were there 2 summers ago and it looked like something out of a novel. Parents and children walking their dogs with multiple generations having picnics on the waterfront park, ferry boats coming in, ice cream shops open and restaurants on the lake complete with the wooden type motorboats of the 50's....The library and churches are historical pieces of architecture dating back to the 1800's. It is quaint, friendly, moneyed, Republican and you are on the "6th Great Lake".......People are surprised to find out just how large the lake is here and how much history is here from the Revolutionary War era. Your parents will definitely enjoy the trip, even if they don't move to the area. It is just south of Plattsburgh about 20 miles right on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont