Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,333 times

Advertisements

I have a question for american social workers, i am currently a student looking to go into social work, i live in alberta canada, but i won't be here for ever. my boyfriend lives in vermont, and i plan to move there once i have my certificate, i want to know , if anybody can tell me, what are your requirements for being a social worker in the usa, or specifically in vermont. do you know of any good websites i could look at that would give me an idea of wether i should wait to get to the states to study, or if i should do it here, and then take somem extra courses to make up what they will need from me. Thank you in advance!
Chantal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 11:39 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,503,306 times
I'm a social worker in New York who is thinking of moving to Vermont.

Social work in the US is regulated at the state level. For example, I am licensed in the state of New York. If I move to Vermont, I will have to get a Vermont license, etc. The process is streamlined if you have credentials from the state you are moving from.

In the US, you can work as a case worker without a degree or license, but to work in a more professional capacity, you need the Master of Social Work degree (MSW) from an accredited school of social work. Then, depending on the state, you need to get licensed or certified.

I remember contacting the Vermont licensing board for information and the information was emailed to me. I don't remember the website, but here's a couple of things you can do: You can contact the Vermont chapter of the National Association of Social Workers (naswvt.org) and/or you can google Vermont professional licensing social work or something similar, which would get you to the appropriate website. You can also contact a place you want to work and see if you can get a job as an entry level social worker or mental health worker. They will direct you to get your license.

You may also want to get your license in Canada and then transfer it to VT. I don't know how that is done, but you can find out easily by contacting the Vermont authorities. They are very helpful and direct.

The University of Vermont has a school of Social Work. I just found that out by googling. You can contact them and get the information you need.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 AM

9,430 posts, read 11,188,532 times
Go to the appropriate websites, such as the Vermont state site, where you can find links to the SW licensure laws and requirements. http://www.vermont.gov/
Are you looking at a BSW or MSW? I would recommend an MSW if that is at all possible. What do you want to do with your degree? Why?
Let me hazard a guess here, that you will find it less burdensome in the long haul if you get your degree in VT and then get licensed and employed there.
Having moved a number of times and gotten licensed in four states (a fifth is imminent), getting your degree and your license and then your job in the same state will IMO present far fewer complications.
You'll already have made some connections in college, you'll have done field placements and gotten inside some institutions, and you should have the beginnings of a network of associates and friends who can give you the inside word on jobs, people, etc.
I suggest you also join NASW, I got involved at NASW as a grad student and also got acquainted with the SWLB (licensing board), attending some meetings and getting to know the office boss pretty well. While that had no influence on getting licensed or having favors done--the board was strictly professional and did not bend that way from what I saw--it helps in getting to know people and knowing people is knowing where the work is.
If you move into VT stone cold, whether from another state or another province/country, you're starting brand spankin new with new folkways, mores, and networks to learn and absorb.
Believe me, it's way easier if you have a few years' head start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont