Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:10 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,511,021 times

Advertisements

Thanks.

Regarding the car, I already had anti-lock brakes, but I still had to pump them to get control of the car. I forgot about stability control. When I get a new car I will make sure to get it. I agree with the importance of good tires. Even if I don't get a new car, I want to replace my tires. I do NOT enjoy skidding.

I did get a new place fairly quickly. Just by coincidence, my friend's neighbor was renting out a carriage house in the back. I initially thought the rent was more than I wanted to pay, but I looked at it anyway, as the cheaper rentals seemed comparatively dreary. It was lovely and had lots of storage space. I figured that the difference in rent between the carriage house and another space I had looked at would probably be offset by the probable elimination of storage rent.

I also had another possibility, in an old house in a less attractive section of town. That possibility was a large apartment on the first floor. It had a funky kitchen layout, which bothered me, and also forced air heating, which concerned me. It had laundry hook-ups, but I would have had to buy a washer and dryer. The place I eventually chose has a good kitchen, a washer and dryer, and even a dishwasher! It is actually much more upscale than I could have hoped for.

In spite of my earlier fears, I had no problem finding a place that would accept the four cats.

I do not feel homesick for NYC, or for the old house, but I have been here less than a week. After I move into my new place on Monday, home will be up the block, not 5 hours away. It will be strange seeing my familiar furniture and things in the new place, although I plan to get rid of a lot of stuff, just as it was strange to see my old house stripped bare.

People have been incredibly friendly here.

So far, I am very comfortable in Brattleboro, but, again, I have only been here less than a week. And I haven't started looking for work.

One funny change: When I give people my new address, I usually have to spell "Brattleboro" for them.

I don't think I've ever had to spell out "Brooklyn".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 06:42 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,614 times
Welcome aboard! Now hopefully you will have some extra time to settle in at a more leisurely pace. Regarding the choice of cars, you can't go wrong with a Subaru, I own or have owned four of them. Remember, all the safety and technological devices, features, bells and whistles, only enhance and improve performance. It is the driver and the driver alone who ultimately is the cause of accidents. Sounds like you had a good defensive driving experience on a wet road. Believe it or not, the more sticky situations you successfully experience will build confidence and skill. Watch you speed, keep you distance, stay calm on bad roads and practice safety. Don't worry about the other yahoos who fly down the road, they ultimately will cool off in a ditch somewhere. A final note about tires. I know some folks really swear by winter tires and many even stud them. That's fine, but in over thirty years of winter driving in all types of conditions and terrain I personally and professionally have found high quality all season radials to be the best choice. The emphasis is on good quality, because there are some some poor all season radials out there. Anyway, something to think about before shelling out cash. The physics and dynamics of slick and unstable surfaces is unique and vehicles with snows versus all season radials have no difference in the coefficient of friction, in fact many radials actually perform better.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:53 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,647 times
You're here! I'm really looking forward to hearing of your experiences with adjusting to small town Vermont life. Definately get out there and explore the area NOW, so you can see Vermont in all it's glory. Another month it'll be stick season

Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 AM

105 posts, read 358,610 times
Yeah! Congratulations! Welcome to town!

Sorry to hear about the breakage during moving
As for the marble tabletop, you might give Abbiati Mounuments on lower South Main St a call to see if they can fix it for you. They do more than monuments, they also make countertops. If Mike & Robin aren't able to fix it, I'm sure they have enough contacts to find out who can take care of it for you.

We're in the middle of packing right now, but thankfully, we're only moving down the street. When we've moved in the past, luckily it's usually within a 25 mile radius, lol.

Gallery Walk is this Friday nite, hopefully the weather will be spectacular.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll contact Abbiati Monuments and see if they can do anything for that tabletop. I can't imagine it can be fixed and look whole, but I'm not the expert. I hope the pieces broke cleanly. If there are lost chips, then things will be worse.

Yes, I'm planning to go to Gallery Walk. I have wanted to get up for Gallery Walk many times, but was unable to come up, due to commitments in New York. I think I have only attended one, in June 2006. Now I don't have to worry about getting to Brattleboro on a Friday, as I'm already here. I can walk to Main Street from where I'm staying, and from where I'll be moving to next week.

I do hope the weather will be nice for Gallery Walk. It's been overcast this week and there's been a lot of rain. Yesterday, the sun came out in the middle of a rainstorm and it still kept raining. I stayed in my car until the rain wound down.

The fall colors are starting. I can watch the whole thing from Brattleboro, and from anywhere else I visit here. Just watching the changes on Mount Wantastiquet, which seems to watch over downtown, is fun.

There is so much to do in Brattleboro, in terms of arts and civic engagement, that one can do something every single day. Of course, you don't have the dizzying array of choices you have in NYC, but, realistically, who needs all that? Furthermore, New York is accessible if you really want to do something there, like see an exhibit at the Met or at another major museum. It's accessible both by car and by public transportation. There is an Amtrak train that goes right to Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. There is only one train a day, though, so if you miss the train you have to wait until the next day for the next one. Maybe you can take a later train and transfer; I don't know.

Just contacted Abbiati Monuments. I forgot to get the name of the person I spoke to, but he was very helpful. He may be able to repair the marble. The joints may look like veins and will be stronger than the rest of the piece. Alternatively, he can cut it down for other uses, and also give me a new stone for the top of the table. There is hope.

Thanks again for the tip.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,150,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Regarding the choice of cars, you can't go wrong with a Subaru, I own or have owned four of them.
I need a new car and I'm thinking about a Subaru. Only problem is I can never remember where I park my car at the store. I have an unusual car and I still can't find it half the time. Imagine if I got a green or maroon Subaru. I'd have to walk around the parking lot, sticking my key in doors to see which one opens up. It would be like one of those radio station contest where 100 people get a key to see who wins a car.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:22 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,285,476 times
Welcome to Vermont!! That is some cat you have!! I hope they can join you soon. I don't know to much about tires but I think everyone should have the Onstar in their vehicle. Onstar will know if you go off the road and contact 911. You may want to look into it further.
Enjoy your new life!! Relax now, your home!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,109,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
T It's accessible both by car and by public transportation. There is an Amtrak train that goes right to Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. There is only one train a day, though, so if you miss the train you have to wait until the next day for the next one. Maybe you can take a later train and transfer; I don't know.
DO NOT take that train to NYC unless you have a full day. It took us from 11:10 (from WRJ) till 8:15 pm or so (NYC--PENN) and another 1.5 to LI.
I think the bus is a better option! Or fly!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
DO NOT take that train to NYC unless you have a full day. It took us from 11:10 (from WRJ) till 8:15 pm or so (NYC--PENN) and another 1.5 to LI.
I think the bus is a better option! Or fly!!!

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,843,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I need a new car and I'm thinking about a Subaru. Only problem is I can never remember where I park my car at the store. I have an unusual car and I still can't find it half the time. Imagine if I got a green or maroon Subaru. I'd have to walk around the parking lot, sticking my key in doors to see which one opens up. It would be like one of those radio station contest where 100 people get a key to see who wins a car.
I have a green Outback.......a couple of bright bumper stickers really help on finding my car. Course, another advantage of living in rural Vermont, not many big parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont