Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times

Advertisements

There are many native NYC'ers here as there are in all states, and the vast majority are decent folks. Many, myself included, are ex NYC'ers for a reason. As far as Bernie Sanders is concerned, contrary to popular belief he is not unanimously reveered, and it has nothing to do with his Bk'lyn roots from over 40 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 12:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
flu189, what made you decide to leave NYC? Why did you choose Vermont? Did you find it difficult to adjust? Are are you happier in Vermont?

In Brattleboro, I had the impression that Bernie was somehow iconic. But Brattleboro is very left of center, to put it mildly. Whatever....

Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,721 times
I am transplant from pennsylvania..and have lived in the adirondack region of ny for over 7 yrs... and i gotta tell ya.. the scenery is beautiful.. but the people.. are one of a kind...i lived in a few other places over the yrs.. and the area in which i live now.. i would say is the worst when in comes to manners.. and politeness.. people in this area are so worried about what there neighbors are doing and then telling needless gossip that it has made me regret moving here.. i came to the area with an open mind.. and a perky personallity.. but after five years of lies betrayals and backstabbing from everyone that i have come in contact with . that my personality has turned to a hard ass ***** and i instead of being outgoing and spunky.. i am now a homebody and only talk to a certain few.. if you dont join in the gossip then your not accepted and i wasnt raised to tell tales about people.. there for i am not accepted.. and the landlords around here are horrible... i am currently in the process of buying a home...because the landlord i now have.. i would consider a slum lord.. he refuses to fix anything in the house.. so i am with holding my rent.. when i informed the county that my hot water tank was throwing sparks and that the landlord is refusing to replace it.. i was told that hot water is a priviledge not a necessity and there for he does not have to fix it... thats the mentality of the people in this area... hot water a priveledge.. and all these yrs i taught that hot water was a necessity for cleanliness and your overall health.. sorry for the ramblings... as you can tell i have a really jaded opinion of the people and the area...

Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 AM

198 posts, read 801,830 times
I believe that you are accepted by the "NATIVE VERMONTERS" as long as you agree with them. I have lived in the south and midwest, before my Vermont Adventure began. I was shocked at the uninformed, narrow-minded outspokeness that I have experienced since being here. Example: The first month I was here. I was talking to a co-worker and explained how in the south "yes ma'am" and "yes, sir" are just respectful ways of talking to people. She very loudly explained that it was offensive and she would have an issue in the schools if it was expected. Point taken---shut mouth, just listen, and leave when opportunity allows.....

Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Hu boy, I can see both sides of the "sir" "ma-am" debate. Vermont has a lot of roots in granger, populist, and egalitarian thought. When I went to school, the teachers who demanded the honorifics were the least deserving of them. Those who placed the least emphasis on the honorifics were the stellar teachers that got respect simply from their own efforts. In short, the only experience many Vermonters have with that formality is in situations where it is used as a tool of subjugation.

As I quickly learned in the south, the formality isn't used in the same one-sided coarsely manipulative way that it is in the north. The high-powered executive in a diner may be just as likely to use "ma-am" in addressing the waitress as she in addressing him as "sir."

Was the native Vermonter ignorant and opinionated? You bet. Would I find that offensive? Maybe, but more as an opportunity to explore her reasoning and let her notice if there were any inconsistancies. There are a lot of opinionated folks in Vermont and any other state.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:11 PM

9 posts, read 26,141 times
As I read through the forum, I'm surprised at some of the things I read. Some folks seem to have extremely unrealistic expectations of VT. The hunting for example, should not surprise anyone. This is a rural mountainous state. Hunting is a prominent form of recreation in places like this all over the US. It is a part of rural culture that I embrace. Particularly, when the kill is put to good use. Smoked Venison, YUM! I have never hunted but I'd like to try. I'm from North Eastern Ohio where the hunting is common.

In any case, respecting the local traditions/norms of the local population in which you are planning to plant yourself is important if you want to fit in. Why plant yourself in a culture of which you don't approve. That would make for an unhappy outcome for everyone. I have lots of friend in NYC who would never relocate up north because they know they are too impatient. Although, they appreciate the beauty of Northern NY and VT they would never live there.

I think there is a place for everyone. Just do your research before you move. Presently, I live in the south (Atlanta). It’s not such a good fit for me. I really miss the snow. People always say I should just visit it(the snow). I want to live in it again. I lived in the Snow Belt in Ohio for 35 years and always loved the weather. The Great Lakes caused very heavy snows to drop in that region of Ohio. Quite a few times I would look out my kitchen window and only see a little bump in the snow where my Civic was parked. I loved it! The cloudy days didn’t have much impact on me.
I'm hoping to move to VT next spring. I can't wait!

This forum is a great tool for people. It is full of very useful info.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:32 PM

9 posts, read 26,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
I believe that you are accepted by the "NATIVE VERMONTERS" as long as you agree with them. I have lived in the south and midwest, before my Vermont Adventure began. I was shocked at the uninformed, narrow-minded outspokeness that I have experienced since being here. Example: The first month I was here. I was talking to a co-worker and explained how in the south "yes ma'am" and "yes, sir" are just respectful ways of talking to people. She very loudly explained that it was offensive and she would have an issue in the schools if it was expected. Point taken---shut mouth, just listen, and leave when opportunity allows.....
I have been in Atlanta, GA for 5 years and I have to say that there is a lot to be said for southern charm. It is nice to be called "Sweetie" when I go to the grocery store, bank, or the coffee shop. People are very friendly and in some way it is comforting. If they don't agree with what you have said or what you have done you may never know. But there are draw back to this as well. Sometimes it’s just nice to know how people feel, or what they are thinking. Down here everyone is nice. Very nice! But when the time comes I'm not sure who is looking out for my best interests and who is trying to hide a knife in my back. I'd prefer that people say what they think. It keeps things simple.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 PM

198 posts, read 801,830 times
I absolutely agree that it nice to know how people honestly feel. But what I have found up here, is that they say it but most are abrupt and not sensitive to others when they say something. I have throughly investigated where I will be moving, and know it because it is not far from where I grew up. My philosophy is that you can absolutely say anything to anyone, but it can be done respectfully. I want to be in a place where that is more normal than a rare occurance. I want that for myself and my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont