Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:02 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,101,083 times

Advertisements

I actually loved our Honda and hated when the lease ended (my husband wanted a different car and it was too expensive to buy).
It handled so nicely.

So, yes, with good snow tires, a Honda Civic would be okay in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,555,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I actually loved our Honda and hated when the lease ended (my husband wanted a different car and it was too expensive to buy).
It handled so nicely.

So, yes, with good snow tires, a Honda Civic would be okay in my opinion.
Agreed. I've been traveling up and down Rt 91 every day for work for 10 years and have always had a Front wheel drive car with 4 snow tires. Our current car, a new Honda Accord was fantastic in last year's very snowy weather on a set of Cooper Weathermasters.

All wheel drive is great, especially if you live on a dirt road or have a steep driveway or something but it's not a true necessity in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:26 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,508,261 times
Well I have to make a decision pretty soon. My Nissan Sentra is 20 years old, but it is reliable. I think the pickup could be better, though.

Now is a great time to buy a new car, because of the time of year and because of the state of the economy.

My concern, mainly, is FWD vs AWD. I rarely, if ever, to off-road driving, although I could easily, up here, drive on dirt roads. My main concern is traction on slippery roads, althugh handling and braking are up there too.. AWD is great, but is it necessary and worth the sacrifices in terms of cost, maintenance and inferior fuel economy?

The only AWD I have been considering is a Subaru - probably a Legacy, but possibly an Impreza. I want a sedan that hides what's in the trunk, not a station wagon or Forester that shows it. Remember, I'd be driving this car into NYC on occasion! If I really need the cargo space I guess I can rent something or pay someone with a truck.

Although I love Hondas - I drove an Accord for about 9 years - I'm concerned that a new Honda Civic or Accord would get stolen in NYC. I've been told, though, that the ones that get stolen are the models from, I think, the late 90's.

People love their Priuses, but I have read that they don't handle as well as some other cars. I don't know anythng about their traction.

So for me, I think it boils down to a Subaru (Legacy or Impreza) or a Honda (Civic or Accord). Maybe a Honda hybrid, since I may end up commuting to Keene, Northampton, Bellows Falls, Springfield or the Upper Valley for work. It would be nice to save money, especially after what I have been paying for Sammy's care.

There are also potential night time dashes, in bad weather, to South Deerfield for veterinary emergencies.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 AM

46 posts, read 123,527 times
The new Fit Hybrid is only months away.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,141,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenteam View Post
The new Fit Hybrid is only months away.
And it looks to be awesome. Might could possibly be our next car.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 AM

46 posts, read 123,527 times
It will be my next car.
I follow the automotive industry very closely.

These cars know how to build a vehicle and I trust their engineering.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,864,442 times
I know people love or hate cars or for whatever reason, but to be honest after having over twenty years of investigating car wrecks I for the life of me don't know why at this time with prices being what they are would anybody really trust their safety to a Prius, especially in a winter climate and road system we have here in Vermont. For summer use I would rather buy a motorcycle to save on fuel. Also, from my ownership experience my AWD Subaru Foresters gets 29 mpg average and in over 180,000 of driving on two of them I have yet to incur extra expenses for repair or maintenance due to having an AWD feature. The extra price and insurance alone on these new concept cars costs more than maint/fuel that they save. Now if it is a sedan you want in the Subaru line then they pretty much all use the same Boxer engine. For trips to NYC, well, I wish I could borrow one of my units up armored Hummers. Basically, let's not forget that virtually any vehicle will provide you transportation in Vt, I mean 30 and more years ago the majority of passenger vehicles were RWD sedans and wagons and people in Vermont still were able to get to where they were going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont