Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:38 AM

469 posts, read 1,642,857 times

Advertisements

I recommend that, but especially in free Vermont just have firearms under your bed or by your side. Carry them concealed when your in public. THERE YAH GO = PROBLEM SOLVED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,508,261 times
Sounds like a good idea if you live in a place where an alarm would not be ignored or resented and where people were close by enough to hear it.

I now live in such a place. But I have no car alarm.

Thankfully, where I now live is pretty safe. People often leave their doors unlocked. But I'm from Brooklyn and I don't do that.

When I was a child we did leave doors unlocked on my block in Brooklyn. Now everything is double locked and alarmed. In many areas windows, and even porches, are security grated.

Whatever, I don't live in Brooklyn anymore.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,935 times
Default A good idea.

Obviously this won't work in some situations but it will in many and not just when you are home either, always have your keys handy if there is a possibility that your car alarm can summon help for any reason.

I teach personal safety and have taught the idea of using a car alarm for many years. One of my students once sent me an email more than a year after she attended one of my seminars at UNH. In the message she related how she foiled a thief at a bank ATM machine, late at night in a suburb of Boston. When the thief approached her and demanded the cash that she had just placed in her purse, she remembered my instruction, reached into her purse and pressed the alarm button on her key fob. Her car was less than 50 feet away and immediately came to life with a wailing siren, honking horn and flashing head lights. Other people on the street were alerted and she yelled for help. A group of three young men came running to help her. The thief was run down and tackled and subsequently arrested. She went on to thank me for the advice. Messages like that one are the main reason that I continue to work long after retirement.

BTW, I teach people to yell "HELP ME! FIRE!" as it is much more likely for people to come to your aid rather than ignore your pleas or run away as many people will do if they think that they will be accosted.

I realize that Vermont is possibly the only state left where you can carry a concealed, unregistered firearm. Anyone who thinks that that is the answer is not familiar with the fact that most people who get shot, get shot with their own weapon. Whether they shoot themselves, a loved one shoots them either intentionally or by accident or someone takes the weapon from them during a struggle and shoots them.

I don't care how much training you have, this happens to plenty of police officers as well. The facts show that if you own a firearm, you are much more likely to be shot than if you don't own a firearm. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Guns are not the answer to personal safety, education is. Take that from a retired military and police trainer and public safety expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont