Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:54 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
I thought I'd make friends between volunteering at the animal shelter, finding a job of some kind, going to church and joining local groups.

That's exactly how I make friends here. I do professional and volunteer work that aligns with my values, and meet people who share at least some of my interests and priorities. Animal people tend to find each other pretty quickly.

The Rutland Co-op and UU Church are full of wonderful people doing fun and worthwhile activities. I like joining in those kinds of outings because we can see who we most enjoy chatting with, and then if we like, take steps to spend more time with those folks.
My husband is a jazz drummer and the musicians he plays with tend to be fun folks.

And then there are the unexpected connections, like the salon owner who was doing my hair, and we turned out to totally click as friends. We also have very similar hair so sometimes people see one of us from the back and call me by her name and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,501,045 times
[quote=MRVphotog;6293624]When I lived in Putney in the late 60's/70's there was a vibrant Baha'i community, many connected to the college. Have read very little about it in the last 40 years. Interesting that it's still around."

It is still around. I think it is the second most widespread religion after Christianity. You can google Baha'i and learn more. Or you can start with the website of the Baha'i International Community, which is:

Bahai.org

Old 11-25-2008, 02:55 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,788,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I was born and raised here, so can't answer your specific question, but can make an observation. Stowe, like many resort communities, has a fairly high "transient" population. Many second home owners who are only around a few weeks a year, etc. Resort communities seem to have much different dynamics than regular 'ol Vermont towns. Not sure if that has anything to do with your original question, just wanted to throw the idea out there.
I agree...(vter is usually right ) I like Stowe a lot. But it (along with most resort communities I've spent time in) doesn't strike me as a great place to make really good friends easily.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:46 PM

[quote=arel;6310848]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
When I lived in Putney in the late 60's/70's there was a vibrant Baha'i community, many connected to the college. Have read very little about it in the last 40 years. Interesting that it's still around."

It is still around. I think it is the second most widespread religion after Christianity. You can google Baha'i and learn more. Or you can start with the website of the Baha'i International Community, which is:

Bahai.org
My grandmother was a Baha'i
Dizzy Gillespie was a Baha'i (I'm a Jazz nerd)
Carole Lombard was a Baha'i (a movie nut too)

Do the Baha'i claim there are that many Baha'i ? More than Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,034 times
Hi, I did move to VT- 6 month ago.Live in Killington area-the town of Stockbridge .My partner is from VT,and I am originally from Poland.Travel a bit and live in different USA states.We both working from home.We don't have any kids and we in our 30'.Still very hard for me to meet any people of my age and I am very social person

Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 AM

I have friends who moved to Burlington just about a year ago. They now seem to have more friends than my wife and I do. Burlington has so much going on that it's very easy to meet people here...

Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I have friends who moved to Burlington just about a year ago. They now seem to have more friends than my wife and I do. Burlington has so much going on that it's very easy to meet people here...
I live ten minutes from Burlington and I have made as many friends here as I have anywhere, probably more than most places. However, very few of them are native Vermonters. Mainly out of staters like myself. Burlington isn't typical Vermont so I can't speak for the state.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,672 times
Hey, I forgot about this thread!
Thanks for finding it Natalia, and Chaz and Quickdraw for adding great responses.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:26 PM

13 posts, read 46,608 times
Dear Adream et al: You know what?? I am also 50s and married and considering moving to Vermont. I currently live in Georgia (for the pat 16 years). I think that it is probably challenging (as an adult) to really connect with others anywhere. I think that older people have established their lives and connections and are usually not receptive to bonding with newcomers.

On the other hand, personal chemistry is "what it is". If I become active in some subject I am sincerely interested in, I invariably meet people who are nice to know. Occassionally, I meet an individual I cherish as a real friend.

Here is another interesting observation. Twice in life I have moved near someone I felt was a close friend. Twice I have been disappointed. Both times, the friend had such a separate life and separate friends that I hardly saw her, and then it felt very superficial.

Adream, I would move to where you feel the draw (or urge). You will find your friends.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 AM

11 posts, read 19,960 times
Unhappy Where'd the twenty-set go?

I'm a twenty-four year old college graduate who got a job in Barre. What I've noticed is that everyone gets the [heck] out of Dodge for college and never comes back except to raise a family. I'm tired of the college scene, but the only twenty-somethings that are left seem to be unemployed and unambitous (alright for them, but not my style). Are there any cool kids left in Central Vermont, or do I have to drive to Burlington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont