Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 PM

894 posts, read 1,561,675 times

Advertisements

Every place else is far away from a decent assortment of shopping with the possible exception of areas close to West Lebanon NH. W. Lebanon has a pretty typical miracle mile, walmart, kmart, bestbuy, etc. No where else in VT except Burlington has that much stuff in the same place. Of course moving up here to shop at walmart is sort of silly, Burlington has the VT cutesy stuff as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 04:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,090,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Every place else is far away from a decent assortment of shopping with the possible exception of areas close to West Lebanon NH. W. Lebanon has a pretty typical miracle mile, walmart, kmart, bestbuy, etc. No where else in VT except Burlington has that much stuff in the same place. Of course moving up here to shop at walmart is sort of silly, Burlington has the VT cutesy stuff as well.
I actually made up a few songs about the area. I sing (as we ride on Route 12 A) "Lebanon--it's a road...

That's basically it....or as my husband calls it "fast food hell.'

The traffic on that road is nuts.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 PM

894 posts, read 1,561,675 times
I almost always cross over from I-89. Even if traffic is crawling still not too far to Walmart/PC/HD. Right around the powerhouse mall and getting back on I-89 can be a pain but the highway is always moving. Sad part is that in most of the country every decent sized town has an equivalent miracle mile VT has 2 maybe 3.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM

Well, VT is not really known for it's shopping, right?

I don't want it to be another Long Island (I left there partly because of shopping being a recreational sport...I mean, what is Long Island apart from strip malls and 'places to eat' (again, considered 'recreation' there).

I appreciate all the nice nature places, a good bunch of never crowded parks. No one is cooking half a dead pig and playing their annoying music (yet another perk of Vermont).

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM

914 posts, read 2,923,314 times
Where did you live on LI, Gypsy? Some of LI is very beautiful, and historic as well. There are some nice communities that have a lot to offer other than just shopping,etc. Do you prefer the climate over Vermont? Not as much snow, I'm sure, but I personally don't care for the ocean breeze and all that it entails! I prefer rolling countryside, and the mountains to the ocean, but that's just me!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,791,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFoxx View Post
Whats the best area to live in Vermont?
Thats not to far from everything like shopping etc?
The Greater Burlington area.

A college town with a major medical center, IBM manufacturing plant, thriving performing arts scene), and a real European-style downtown which has become more (not less) vibrant since the advent of the local shopping malls.
Boston is just under 4 hours drive by car, Montreal is an hour and 45 minutes (the scenic route), and New York is a quick inexpensive flight on Jet Blue.

Burlington is also a terrific town for walking, offering a pedestrian main shopping street ("high street" as you'd say), and a wonderful bike path system which travels the shore of one of the largest lakes on the continent, Lake Champlain.

Picture a town just a little bit like Chester, or Oxford England (without the walls and the antiquities, of course) on a lake like one of the ones in The Lake District.

Try a Google image search for "The Shelburne Museum", "Shelburne Farms" (15 minutes down the road), and "Church Street Marketplace" or "Burlington Waterfront Park", or "Burlington Bike Path".

The half dozen ski / resort areas in The Green Mountains are roughly an hour away by car, too. The front page of The New York Times on line tonight features on of these - world famous Mt Mansfield in Stowe Vermont.

Cheers!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:17 AM

I don't want to turn this in a LI thread...

I lived in mid suffolk near the ocean. It wasn't horrible. (the beaches were near by) but I grew up there and saw it change so much. Also it was just too crowded and expensive for us.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:33 PM

36 posts, read 212,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
The Greater Burlington area.

A college town with a major medical center, IBM manufacturing plant, thriving performing arts scene), and a real European-style downtown which has become more (not less) vibrant since the advent of the local shopping malls.
Boston is just under 4 hours drive by car, Montreal is an hour and 45 minutes (the scenic route), and New York is a quick inexpensive flight on Jet Blue.

Burlington is also a terrific town for walking, offering a pedestrian main shopping street ("high street" as you'd say), and a wonderful bike path system which travels the shore of one of the largest lakes on the continent, Lake Champlain.

Picture a town just a little bit like Chester, or Oxford England (without the walls and the antiquities, of course) on a lake like one of the ones in The Lake District.

Try a Google image search for "The Shelburne Museum", "Shelburne Farms" (15 minutes down the road), and "Church Street Marketplace" or "Burlington Waterfront Park", or "Burlington Bike Path".

The half dozen ski / resort areas in The Green Mountains are roughly an hour away by car, too. The front page of The New York Times on line tonight features on of these - world famous Mt Mansfield in Stowe Vermont.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply and it was very helpful with the tips there.
Burlington, is sounding a great place to settle down.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,281,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Well, VT is not really known for it's shopping, right?

I don't want it to be another Long Island (I left there partly because of shopping being a recreational sport...I mean, what is Long Island apart from strip malls and 'places to eat' (again, considered 'recreation' there).

I appreciate all the nice nature places, a good bunch of never crowded parks. No one is cooking half a dead pig and playing their annoying music (yet another perk of Vermont).
Gypsy, Williston makes LI look small as far as shopping centers. I was really surprised to see all the retail stores, one after another. I went to the Christmas Tree Shop and couldn't find a parking space. I got tired of going around looking for one so I went home. I wouldn't mind having a farm outside Williston so I could have the convenience of living in the country and have someplace closer to shop. I could go shopping early in the morning and not have to fight the crowd.
Where are you saying they are cooking pig, LI or VT?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:54 PM

36 posts, read 212,750 times
Does anyone have any official links for renting in burlington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont