Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,277,685 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Vermont and left after college for the big city (Boston). I was amazed at how sunny it was during winter in Boston. The hardest thing about coming back home to Vermont was getting used to how dark and gray winter is. We have sunny winter days but they are few and far between. The cold doesnt bother me. Just gotta dress for it!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,086,661 times
I thought Long Island with the whipping ocean winds, was much colder than what I have experienced here (So far).

Last January I was outside several times without a coat. I think I did that one time in NY when we had a very mild February in 1992. (see I can remember that!).

It's a dryer cold, for sure, where we live now. (no ocean, no lake effect).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,243,608 times
I transplanted from Colorado in the wintertime. So I was very used to winters, but that was sometime ago and now I am just plain tired of them, would like to knock a few months off of them myself hopefully some day.
The HUMIDITY in the summer is something I wasn't prepared for.
Not sure I will ever adjust to it lol.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,086,661 times
The humidity here is NOTHING compared to NY. At least it break eventually in VT and the nights are cool.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:34 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,449,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkop View Post
I read this forum like its my job. It seems so many people want to move to Vermont, that by the time I get to move up there it might be the most populated state in the nation. lol...
LOL, yes, along with Alaska.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:45 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,137,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
The humidity here is NOTHING compared to NY. At least it break eventually in VT and the nights are cool.

I agree that it's less hot and humid in VT than in much of NY. But there are at least 20-40 nights per summer that I need the AC on or I simply will not sleep. No amount of ceiling fan and cross-ventilation will do the trick when my sheets feel (ugh!) damp.

But then I am a walking hot flash even compared with other femmes d'un certain âge whom I know.

Also, I live in Rutland City, which is warmer even than the surrounding towns. So where you live in Vermont can make a big difference.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:17 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,004 times
The cold today just cut through me. I am very sensitive to the cold. I'm an athlete with a resting heart rate in the fourties and a systolic blood pressure in the low 100's. I just don't have the perfusion of an average person. Even if I dress in layers the cold still bothers me. I think that when it gets dark so early it makes it feel colder.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:38 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,243,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

I agree that it's less hot and humid in VT than in much of NY. But there are at least 20-40 nights per summer that I need the AC on or I simply will not sleep. No amount of ceiling fan and cross-ventilation will do the trick when my sheets feel (ugh!) damp.

But then I am a walking hot flash even compared with other femmes d'un certain âge whom I know.

Also, I live in Rutland City, which is warmer even than the surrounding towns. So where you live in Vermont can make a big difference.
Exactly, and the same goes for any area any where with higher elevations.
We spent one summer in Lincoln and there was an ice scraping frost in July albeit it was refreshing from the heat.

Some folks in the Rocky Mountains get 2 weeks of summer lol depending on the weather that year.
68vette

The dark is such a drag and well yes the Sun has gone down and I can almost feel the difference sometimes right away at sunset even though I don't see it, nice thing is longer days are coming.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:54 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,861,091 times
The references to the heat and humidity of summer on a zero degree day started me daydreaming. Here in Vt we can get a few muggy sticky days and nights, but far fewer than what I remembered from NYC. The heat/humidity and then bitter humid cold of the concrete jungle felt worse. Here we get by without AC, but I am out in the woods and that does make a difference. The most brutal heat I have experienced in the states was while training in places like Alabama, Texas, and Arizona. Interesting to experience, but nothing I would like to live with. As far as cold goes, days like today in the single digits and right now below zero makes it tougher. I like the four seasons so I'll just have to check out a few other places with more moderate HDD/CDD factors. As for the current weather it is good that we got the blanket of snow. I actually got just above a foot and I guess tomorrow looks like an additional foot or more is on the way.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:12 AM

37 posts, read 89,537 times
I have to disagree with Vter about the cost of housing. You can find nice starter homes in Burlington's New North End for under well $200,000. There are several on the market right now in the 170,000s and 180,000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont