Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:41 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times

Advertisements

I'm beginning to realize, although I think I always realized on some level, that Brattleboro is not a typical Vermont town. I've only been here for about 3 months, so my knowledge and experience are limited.

What is it that makes Brattleboro atypical?

Is it the sheer number of people "from away" who live there?

Is it the welcoming attitude towards newcomers?

Is it the ethnic diversity proviced by SIT?

Is it the quality of almost being an intentional community? I think the area has a history of that.

Is it the left-leaning political climate?

Is it the "New York vibe" that I have read about?

Is it the activity level of the town?

Is it the proximity of stores and arts venues?

Is it the arts culture?

Is it the social activism?

Is it the bohemian culture?

Is it the urban quality of downtown?

Is it the presence of a 24 hour police force (I think)?

Is it something else I haven't thought of? That's why I started this thread.

Also, if Brattleboro is atypical, then what is a more typical Vermont town like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
Bunch of loonies. Typical VT towns have less people and therefore less loonies. Serious it is just a critical mass of liberal people. Lots of places similar although I'd guess Brattleboro is one of the cheapest liberal cities{towns?}

Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times
I guess the only "typical" aspect could be from it's history and architecture as a river valley town. In contemporary times the reputation which the town has garnered does in fact reflect a kind of wrapped around the axle looney agenda. If this is what attracts a person, then fine. My physical experience with the town involves only being a waypoint junction from one point to another, a place to get fuel and chow while on the road.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:12 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Also, if Brattleboro is atypical, then what is a more typical Vermont town like?
Normal.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
I think most of Vermont's small cities like Montpelier, St J, Bratt, Newport, Rutland, Barre, WRJ, Bennington, etc......... are pretty unique in their own way and I have no clue what "typical" would mean. Calling Bratt atypical, assuming you have not spent much time in those places, is an uninformed observation IMHO.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I think most of Vermont's small cities like Montpelier, St J, Bratt, Newport, Rutland, Barre, WRJ, Bennington, etc......... are pretty unique in their own way and I have no clue what "typical" would mean. Calling Bratt atypical, assuming you have not spent much time in those places, is an uninformed observation IMHO.

I do not know much about towns other than Brattleboro, but I get the impression from what people write that Bratt is atypical. So I was asking why.

I know Bratt is known for its liberal politics, tolerance, presence of people from out of state, and sense of community. It also seems very urban, and urbane, for a small town. Maybe that has something to do with the urban quality of downtown. And, being from NYC, I find Bratt less full of "loonies" than what I am used to.

Of course all towns are unique in their own way. But I was asking why Brattleboro seems so often blown off as a freaky place, atypical of Vermont.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Of course all towns are unique in their own way. But I was asking why Brattleboro seems so often blown off as a freaky place, atypical of Vermont.

I agree with your first statement, that all towns are unique in their own way.

I haven't heard Brattleboro "so often blown off" as an anomaly, nor have I seen any group of towns that constitute "the typical Vermont town." I consider Brattleboro to be as much a part of Vermont as anywhere else in the state, with its own unique qualities owing to its proximity to other state borders, topography, demographics, history, and other factors, including the ones you listed for Brat. Just like any other Vermont town.

Put another way, I guess Rutland (where I live) is not the typical Vermont town either. Nor is Montpelier. Or Burlington. Or Woodstock. Is St. Johnsbury? Springfield? WRJ? Hardwick? Brandon? I don't know. What would make a town "typical Vermont" and what would make it an anomaly?

I'm not at all sure that I can get behind this question. :-)

Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,272 times
The Brattleboro region has long been a haven for "hippies" - since the 1960's. They flocked to this area to attend the various liberal arts colleges; ie. Windham College. They started their communes in the outskirts of town; small hippie type businesses, co-ops, crafts and agriculture.

And they just stayed.

Now the hippies are in their 50's and 60's and have assimilated into mainstream politics, they are business owners, school board members, select persons and they swayed public policy to their way of thinking.

that is why Brattleboro is atypical.

IMO.
Leggo

Old 12-23-2008, 11:37 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times
Brattleboro has simply gained attention for what many consider radical viewpoints and agendas. It's actually a vocal minority that has leveled this brand on the town. As far as tolerance being a virtue in Brattleboro, I guess that may be so if you savor the same flavor of beverage in vogue at the time, otherwise I would think not. As with any town or state if a segment of the population wants to foster a cause or agenda, so be it. It's a free country for the time being so if what constitutes Brattleboro's image floats your boat then by all means embrace it and enjoy it. I know from my contacts throughout the state to include one that lives in an adjoining town, the town is considered in it's current state an embarassment to the state.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:34 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
Tolerance in Brattleboro I doubt it. Don't believe me walk down the street in a Bush(or Cheney) mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont