Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Vt and my wife is a Phd level clinical psychologist. Anyone know of areas in need? Or any areas with expanding practices? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 07:46 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Did you know that Vermont also licenses masters-level psychologists? Not sure exactly how that affects the market.

Psychologists in the Rutland area seem to have full practices and some are not taking new clients. I know this from networking and referring out clients and others who request good clinicians (my husband and I have a bodywork practice).

Old 01-03-2009, 01:11 PM

413 posts, read 1,589,322 times
Thw whole state ?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Thw whole state ?
I'm not sure what your question "the whole state" refers to. If you mean busy offices and some of them not accepting new patients, I'm referring only to the Rutland area, which is where I live and work.

If you mean the whole state licenses master's level psychologists, then yes, that's statewide. Here are some links:

Vermont Secretary of State - Office of Professional Regulation - Psychologists

Office of Professional Regulation - Allied Mental Health Practitioner's Board

Vermont Secretary of State - Office of Professional Regulation - Psychoanalysts

Old 01-04-2009, 06:01 AM

Sheryl....thanks for that info I really appreciate it. Could you maybe tell me a little more about the rutland area? I also posted this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...ting-area.html but havent ever been to rutland. thanks again

Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Could you maybe tell me a little more about the rutland area?
A lot of people dis the Rutland area because it's not as charming and quaint as some other parts of Vermont. Truth be told, I landed here by default when I met my significant other (now my husband of 9 years) because he had more ties to Rutland than I had to where I was living in NH.

Now that I've been here 12 years, I can say that there is much to recommend Rutland and also aspects that will make it the wrong place for someone to settle -- sort of like anywhere else. Here's what I posted about Rutland recently in another thread:

Some people find Rutland (where I live) to be avoided for crime/drugs/low-opportunity/etc. However, I have lived her for 12 years and find it walkable, friendly, safe, community-oriented, and affordable.

I was a reading mentor every week for four years in the Rutland Middle School. I found the children to be as friendly, learned, and well-behaved as I imagine they could be in any small city public school. The teachers and staff I interacted with were intelligent, caring, and attentive.

Would Rutland be my or many others' first pick for a Vermont city? Probably not. Still, Rutland has:
  • Beautiful mountain views
  • Outdoor opportunities galore, including nearby slopes
  • Two good independent bookstores
  • A food co-op so good that I haven't shopped at a "regular" grocery store in years
  • An outstanding year-round winter farmers market
  • A great library
  • Affordable housing stock
  • Access to all the goods and services most anyone would need
  • Decent full-service hospital (our experiences have all been good; our friends whose families depended on the RRMC cancer center highly recommend it)
Rutland's downsides include:
  • Drugs (especially heroin) and the accompanying sad cases of addiction and crime
  • Minimal economic/professional opportunities (and the low morale that accompanies this)
  • Minimal opportunities for young people to excel (or motivation for them to stay)
  • Sidewalks in serious need of repair (constant walkers like my husband and me notice these things)
  • Strip-mall/chain-store sprawl spreading south from the city, driving business from downtown while being touted as "economic opportunity" (even while it's gutting/undercutting locally-owned/run businesses, blighting the landscape, creating a few minimum-wage jobs, and sending well over 75% of revenues to corporate coffers outside of Vermont)

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
I'd say Washington DC is more in need of mental health assistance than any other section of the country, or possibly the continent.
(Whether or not you'd want to live there, assuming you're sane, is another matter.)

However, narcissists never want--or need--help!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 PM

dont want to live in dc, everywhere needs psychologists. I am looking for one where a psychologist can get a job or join a practice. Thanks though

Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
Check with the VA in White River Junction. Also Dartmouth Hospital(just over the border one of VT's largest employers) might want to check with Dartmouth College as well. We are a rinky-dink place with rinky-dink everything, so if the few large institutions aren't hiring you will probably have to make your own way.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Try specializing in SAD disorder or something resembling 'cocooning' due to the weather.

I swear that's all anyone seems to do here. (including myself).
In the place I live (complex) it is quiet by 7 pm because all these people are inside, insular and watching tv. I am shocked to hear any loud voices in VT/NH.
The other day a kid was in the store crying and I said to my husband, later, did you hear that kid? Very un-Vermont-like display of emotion!

I think you must have a lot of depressed people in Vermont unless they have a support system. (or enjoy winter weather sports).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont