Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 PM

8 posts, read 28,078 times

Advertisements

I'm slowly preparing to relocate but it'll take another year or possibly two...currently looking at around Asheville, NC, Blacksburg, VA and around Charlottesville, VA...possibly Tri-Counties area of TN. The reasons to move, for me, are:
- Property taxes
- 6 months of winter
- Mosquitoes, deer flies & no-see-ums (according to reports on the Asheville NC forum, bugs are not as much an issue as they are here).

I've lived in VT for 7 years. It is very pretty, but the cost of living is incredibly high as mentioned by others.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:32 PM

662 posts, read 1,263,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluWhite View Post
I've lived in VT for 7 years. It is very pretty, but the cost of living is incredibly high as mentioned by others.
Where did you live before Vermont

Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM

37 posts, read 88,135 times
In my case, it's where DID I go? My wife and I, both retirees, just moved earlier this month.

Here was the story I told people when they heard we were leaving and they asked where and why: "Well, the politics here in VT are a bit too liberal for my taste, the taxes are high and the winters are long. So we thought we'd move a bit further south when the politics are more conservative, the taxes lower and the winters milder."

The typical response: "So, where are you going? South Carolina?"

My straight faced answer: "No, Massachusetts."

So the move was not radical in terms of politics (although MA is slightly more conservative than VT). Taxes are high in MA but not as high as in VT. And the two major sources of our income, a Federal (military) pension and Social Security, are exempt from state income tax in MA, so the taxes are actually more favorable. And the weather? Depends on the year. Last winter MA got more snow than VT; other years it's the opposite. But the winters are a little bit shorter in MA.

But none of those were the major reasons. They were, in no particular order,:
- getting a bit burned out on VT after 8 years of retirement there;
- a desire to live somewhere with a bit more buzz;
- a desire to be closer to family;
- a desire to downsize our living situation and if you're going to pack up and move to a new house, it's really no harder to move to another state than it is to another town.

We really enjoyed our 8 years in VT and took advantage of a lot of what it had to offer. God willing, we will have some more years to do the same in MA. But we concluded that MA is probably an easier place to grow old in than VT and our new over-55 condo community is definitely going to be easier than 11+ acres in VT.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:03 PM

31 posts, read 53,183 times
Wife and I are planning on moving out of VT soon. Likely to the Austin TX area next year.

Why TX?
Better job opportunities and higher paying jobs at that.
Lower cost of living.
Warm weather, almost never any snow (we're not into winter that much and don't even ski or snowboard anymore).
Better music scene
Hopefully nicer people.
Far away from nutty family

Primary reasons for wanting to leave VT:
High taxes
Cost cost of living in general
Long commutes to work
Nothing to do on the weekends if you're not in the Burlington area and love 1.5 hour long waits at restaurants or getting caught in groups of college bros on Church St. In the country, nothing to do but get drunk and hunt. Don't do either of those, soo..
Work doesn't pay nearly as much as it should
Takes too damn long to find a job in your field
People who have nothing better to do than stab you in the back
Need a change of scenery after living here for 28 years

Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 PM

402 posts, read 688,899 times
Just what we did in moving to Arizona! and no regrets-now when I visit Vt. I choose my time of year, do a little fishing and go away happy!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 AM

129 posts, read 235,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxPhantom View Post
Wife and I are planning on moving out of VT soon. Likely to the Austin TX area next year.

Why TX?
Better job opportunities and higher paying jobs at that.
Lower cost of living.
Warm weather, almost never any snow (we're not into winter that much and don't even ski or snowboard anymore).
Better music scene
Hopefully nicer people.
Far away from nutty family

Primary reasons for wanting to leave VT:
High taxes
Cost cost of living in general
Long commutes to work
Nothing to do on the weekends if you're not in the Burlington area and love 1.5 hour long waits at restaurants or getting caught in groups of college bros on Church St. In the country, nothing to do but get drunk and hunt. Don't do either of those, soo..
Work doesn't pay nearly as much as it should
Takes too damn long to find a job in your field
People who have nothing better to do than stab you in the back
Need a change of scenery after living here for 28 years
Well, Vermont has been an experience, but we're moving to Texas too. For a lot of the same reasons.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM

24 posts, read 52,880 times
Maine would be my first choice. New Hampshire or Mass would be my second.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,765,565 times
Born and raised in Vermont. Now living in Dallas.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:40 AM

130 posts, read 277,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Born and raised in Vermont. Now living in Dallas.
Beautiful mountain views from there I understand…….

Old 12-23-2013, 12:33 AM

914 posts, read 2,927,809 times
Yeah, I don't get the Texas thing. People seem to move there in droves, but I've also heard from others, whose opinions I trust, that it's absolutely horrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont