Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:51 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,503,306 times

Advertisements

What's the story with cell phone coverage in Vermont?

I know it probably depends on the area, but I was in Brattleboro and there were serious problems. Voice mails were very slow to be delivered. I was told that cell phone coverage was poor in the area.

Does anyone know about this or about plans for service to be improved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 06:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,634 times
It's spotty. It has a lot to do with our geography. Lots of hills, mountains, valley, that disrupt the signal. The companies are trying to improve service, especially by putting towers in existing buildings (church steeples for example). Lots of NIMBYism when it comes to putting towers on top of our hills/mountains. Service is good in the Burlington area.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:59 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,943,341 times
I can only concur with vter. Where I live the closest tower is in Quebec. I'd drop my land line tomorrow if it wasn't for the fact that all calls are billed as roaming.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:51 PM

8 posts, read 29,530 times
ive worked with cell phones in vt a LOT, so i know how bad it is...

but, does the service provider make a difference? is any one company making the best go at it?

i will be checking with my contacts when im back at work, i will report back if i learn anything.
thanks for any info!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:00 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,533 times
Ironically, when my mom comes up with me (using AT&T) she has great service. But AT&T roams the entire time - not sure on which network - and as a resident of VT, you can't open an account. My fiancé has Verizon, but he gets very spotty service, and none at all in our condo.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,984,433 times
Ive posted this before a few times, so sorry for repeat.
In Rutland, We could not get any coverage through Verizon...
Well, minimal at best. Very in-and-out.
Verizon also would not end our contract even though we fulfilled
it and called in advance to make sure there wasnt fine print we missed
that automatically renewed it. We finally got the VT. Attorney
General involved to get them to stop billing us.
Coincedentally, here in Fla. there is no Verizon.....But, we are
still getting bills for our Vermont phone and internet. Obviously
we canceled it a month before we left but again, Verizon says
they have no record of that.
So....even from FL, Vt Attorney General hasnt heard the last of
us !

Old 08-02-2007, 05:35 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,184 times
The service is spotty. I now have Verizon and get great reception in Chittenden County, but it's hit or miss else were. I used to have Unicel and I noticed that I had better reception where Verizon didn't pick up well and I had worse reception where Verizon picked up well. It all comes down to who has more cell towers in a specific area. I believe getting more cell towers is going to be like getting windmills put in. People don't want their view ruined.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:13 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,634 times
I have Unicel which seems to be getting better and better coverage wise. I could never get a signal at my house and all of a sudden I have 4 bars. But now I read that Verizon is going to try and buy them out. Yikes! I don't know how I feel about that

Old 08-02-2007, 08:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,860,236 times
Since the coverage is so spotty I don't even have one anymore. Needed it when we arrived to help with house hunting. People are just too addicted to the damn things. On Wednesday I hiked up to the summit of Mt Mansfield and up along the ridge were groups of people walking and blabbing on their phones. Near where I live I frequently see a lady pushing a carriage down a dirt road with twins and everytime!!! she has the phone cemented to her head. I don'e even want to mention how many people I see driving with the phone in use all the time. Who the heck are you all talking to anyway?

Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,943,341 times
flu - hiking tip: Try Jay Peak. About 500 ft. lower, but nobody on top. On good days you can see the buildings in Montreal. And yeah, I share your sense of wonder regarding the usage of cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont