Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:49 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times

Advertisements

Ha ha...I have never had a cell phone. Everyone makes fun of me. And I'm a bit of a tech junkie, so it's a bit weird. Though I have drooled considerably over the iPhone, I can think of MANY other things to spend $500 on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 06:18 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
flu - hiking tip: Try Jay Peak. About 500 ft. lower, but nobody on top. On good days you can see the buildings in Montreal. And yeah, I share your sense of wonder regarding the usage of cells.
I know Jay Peak well, as I have end to ended the Long Trail four times now. Twice as a thru hike and twice in sections. As a matter of fact, on Wednesday when I did the section from Butler Lodge going north over the Forehead and on to the Chin of Mt Mansfield was when I finished the last piece of my fourth end to end. The problem with Mansfield is that the summit and ridge gets lots of people up there due to the toll road. Right now I am finishing up the 84 side trails to the Lonf Trail system with about 15 more to go. It's a great way to get exercise and see some really nice parts of Vt.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Then I guess you know Jay Peak, to say the least. I live about 2 miles from Journey's End. Let me know if you plan to hike this way again and I can provide transportation.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Since the coverage is so spotty I don't even have one anymore. Needed it when we arrived to help with house hunting. People are just too addicted to the damn things. On Wednesday I hiked up to the summit of Mt Mansfield and up along the ridge were groups of people walking and blabbing on their phones. Near where I live I frequently see a lady pushing a carriage down a dirt road with twins and everytime!!! she has the phone cemented to her head. I don'e even want to mention how many people I see driving with the phone in use all the time. Who the heck are you all talking to anyway?
I agree 100%. I need one because I drive so much every year. I broke down 2 years ago on I-89 and no one pulled over to see if everything was ok (over one hour until VSP drove up. Lucky it wasn't in the middle of winter.). It's not like the old days when several people would pull over to help out.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Then I guess you know Jay Peak, to say the least. I live about 2 miles from Journey's End. Let me know if you plan to hike this way again and I can provide transportation.
Appreciate the offer. I will no doubt give the Long Trail a fifth run, so I will definately be up your way, maybe next summer depending on things. Last time was in 2003 when I did a thru hike going from north to south and the old Journey's End Camp was still there. They built a new one and moved the old one to Waterbury Center at the Green Mountain Club office

Old 08-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I agree 100%. I need one because I drive so much every year. I broke down 2 years ago on I-89 and no one pulled over to see if everything was ok (over one hour until VSP drove up. Lucky it wasn't in the middle of winter.). It's not like the old days when several people would pull over to help out.
That is a shame, but folks even up here are now leary in stopping to check on strangers. Also, the car that stops may not in fact be a good samaritan. A good point on the delay of VSP getting to you on the highway. They are relatively spread out and of course when they are dealing with something else then you will wait. When cold weather gets here I always carry extra gear in the car or truck in the event I have to hoof it. Also, I have a reflective vest and a small headlamp which have come in handy before.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:35 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Since the coverage is so spotty I don't even have one anymore. Needed it when we arrived to help with house hunting. People are just too addicted to the damn things. On Wednesday I hiked up to the summit of Mt Mansfield and up along the ridge were groups of people walking and blabbing on their phones. Near where I live I frequently see a lady pushing a carriage down a dirt road with twins and everytime!!! she has the phone cemented to her head. I don'e even want to mention how many people I see driving with the phone in use all the time. Who the heck are you all talking to anyway?
Who the heck are you all talking to anyway?
Haha, that is what I wonder all the time. Here in So Cali everyone seems to have cell phones. To me they are great for emergencies. But certainly not to talk and drive, that drives me nuts!! Here is a kinda funny story, I hope it doesnt offend anyone. My husband and I were at the grocery store about a month ago, and there was this young guy in um, lets just say he was looking at the womens femine products and talkng to his girlfriend on his cell, haha she was trying to tell him what type of product she wanted, I couldnt help but hear what he was saying, I knew what it was she wanted, so I walked over to the shelf and got him what he needed. The poor guy just wasnt getting it...lol and handed it to him, red faced he said thank you and walked off.
Cell phones can certainly be interesting. But I really dont enjoy hearing people discuss all their personal issues, while dinning or standing in line at the post office or bank, etc....

Old 08-06-2007, 06:20 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
I'm with all of you on cell phone over-use. I do have one, but it's turned off 90% of the time. I travel alone a lot and have it primarily in case of emergency. It does come in handy in other ways too (ie when trying to meet someone somewhere). I NEVER dial & drive. Yikes.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:50 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Dialing and driving. A nightmare about to happen on most country, winding roads.

But, I wish sometime I could get and keep a connection in one conversation. But as I too travel alone, I think even with the losses and expense I'm likely to keep on truckin' with it (Verizon right now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I'm with all of you on cell phone over-use. I do have one, but it's turned off 90% of the time. I travel alone a lot and have it primarily in case of emergency. It does come in handy in other ways too (ie when trying to meet someone somewhere). I NEVER dial & drive. Yikes.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:34 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Dialing, texting, or even talking on the cell phone while driving freaks me out. You know those people arent really giving the road and the drivers their full attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont