Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:02 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Also, as someone who was raised in very diverse northern N.J. it would be nice to live in a less homogeneous place than Vermont. While I've never encountered overt racism here (I stand out a bit as an olive-skinned Italian/Hispanic with black hair and green eyes) I get my share of double takes and "you're not from around here, are you" looks. I'd prefer to live somewhere where I could blend in better, if that makes sense.
I hear what you are saying. I felt like I stood out when we lived in Central PA. I have black hair, brown eyes and I'm very light (peach) skinned. But there everyone was BLONDE! (seriously). It was a very unsettling feeling being 'different.'

I'm in a more diverse area of Vermont (with a good share of various people) but the attitude in VT is so different from PA.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
We plan on splitting our time here (summer/fall/spring) and somewhere warm for winter.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
We plan on splitting our time here (summer/fall/spring) and somewhere warm for winter.
Yes, that would be ideal, if it could be done. Leaving VT in November, coming back maybe in April.

The trouble is having a job that allows you to save enough $$ so you can live the snowbird lifestyle. Making $10/hr will not do it.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I hear what you are saying. I felt like I stood out when we lived in Central PA. I have black hair, brown eyes and I'm very light (peach) skinned. But there everyone was BLONDE! (seriously). It was a very unsettling feeling being 'different.'

I'm in a more diverse area of Vermont (with a good share of various people) but the attitude in VT is so different from PA.
Question. I happen to be blonde and blue eyed so will that be an advantage in Pa. or a handicap. What's the difference in attitude you mention between here and Pa, assuming you are referencing the south central part of Pa.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 PM

When I was there (1994-95) in the Camp Hill/Enola area everyone was mainly Germanic descent, I assume.
So, yes, there are a lot of blond people. Physically you will feel at home, but they are not the most welcoming to outsiders. Not just my opinion--read the posts in the PA section!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 PM

119 posts, read 565,021 times
We moved to the Greenville area of South Carolina after 30 years in Vermont this past July. We love it. We are enjoying the four seasons,minus the fifth season (mud). The Blue Ridge mountain are 10 minutes away and property taxes are lower. The fall was beautiful. I have pictures that my friends in VT thought that I took in VT that were actually in my new back yard. The Upstate region is growing by leaps and bounds and there is just so much to do. Downtown Greenville reminds me of Church Street in Burlington without the lake instead it has the Reedy River as a backdrop. We loved that it was 65 degrees and bright blue sky on Christmas day.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM

231 posts, read 869,614 times
I am off to metro-Nashville, TN.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 PM

413 posts, read 1,589,322 times
The wife and I left VT for SW Utah. Cost of living is less than 1/3 of that in Vermont. Where we are in SW Utah we get the four seasons with NO humidity and no rain in the summer. We are 6-7 hours from the Pacific Ocean and all that SoCal has to offer.
Case in point. The week before Christmas '07 I got up early, drove 45 min to Brain Head ski resort. Skiied for a few hours, drove home, changed clothes and drove 45 min south to play nine holes.
BTW, did I mention that the scenery in this area is second to none ?. We have Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument and Canyonlands all within an hour or so drive. The north rim of the Grand Canyon is about 2 hours. How can you beat that >?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM

You know the temptation to move south is nice (warmer) but that Bible Belt mentality drives me mad. I have nothing against church folks--good for them--but at least up here no one cares what religion you are or if you go to church or if you worship a tree or the stars.

You don't get a lot of that down south, as far as I know.

Also, if I lived in the south I would weigh about 300 lbs because I love chicken, biscuits, corn bread and all that other delicious southern cooking!!

Imagine being a Yankee non church goer. You'd have half the town hating you, the other half trying to convert you.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You know the temptation to move south is nice (warmer) but that Bible Belt mentality drives me mad. I have nothing against church folks--good for them--but at least up here no one cares what religion you are or if you go to church or if you worship a tree or the stars.

You don't get a lot of that down south, as far as I know.

Also, if I lived in the south I would weigh about 300 lbs because I love chicken, biscuits, corn bread and all that other delicious southern cooking!!

Imagine being a Yankee non church goer. You'd have half the town hating you, the other half trying to convert you.
OMG, that was so freckin funny!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont