Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
The wife and I left VT for SW Utah. Cost of living is less than 1/3 of that in Vermont. Where we are in SW Utah we get the four seasons with NO humidity and no rain in the summer. We are 6-7 hours from the Pacific Ocean and all that SoCal has to offer.
Case in point. The week before Christmas '07 I got up early, drove 45 min to Brain Head ski resort. Skiied for a few hours, drove home, changed clothes and drove 45 min south to play nine holes.
BTW, did I mention that the scenery in this area is second to none ?. We have Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument and Canyonlands all within an hour or so drive. The north rim of the Grand Canyon is about 2 hours. How can you beat that >?
Wow, that sounds like paradise. Please, don't tell anyone else. I may decide to move there and I don't want it to get to crowded!!
I don't want to move away from VT, but if they don't stop taxing the retirees to death, we are out of here. Fortunately, we don't have to rush because it is going to take a long time to sell this house. I am going to do a lot of research to find a state that is kinder to retirees. I am also going to find a community that is smart enough to see that voting for a school budget doesn't mean that your child is going to get a better education.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:35 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
The wife and I left VT for SW Utah.
My husband and I love SW Utah. Among the wonders you mentioned, it also has my favorite place in the whole world, Best Friends Animal Society (the largest companion animal sanctuary in the country; I'm a long-time Best Friends remote volunteer as New England Team Leader & at Vermont.BestFriends.org), located right near Coral Pink Sand Dunes National Park and near Bryce, Zion, & the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Anyone visiting or living near Kanab should definitely plan at least a full day visit to Best Friends, and possibly more.

We visited on a possible relocation recon mission. Ultimately, we determined that we just plain feel at home in Vermont. We feel like New Englanders and here we will stay. That and the water shortages out west (with much worse looming) scared the pi$$ out of us.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 01-06-2009 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 04:40 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
The drought and bad water management in Utah/Colorado/Arizona was what killed those states for us...I like rain. A lot. I hate drought. And I definitely don't like how they take water for granted out there and don't manage their resources well. Otherwise, Colorado was at the top of our list for a while.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
The drought and bad water management in Utah/Colorado/Arizona was what killed those states for us...I like rain. A lot. I hate drought. And I definitely don't like how they take water for granted out there and don't manage their resources well. Otherwise, Colorado was at the top of our list for a while.
NO rain in Utah?! Forget it...I love rain, especially in VT!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:05 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
When and if we get to the point of retirement we are going to split our time between north and south. I love rain and thunderstorms and nothing beats a Florida storm. I think Florida or at least the bay area is the lightning capitol of the world.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
NO rain in Utah?! Forget it...I love rain, especially in VT!
Well, I don't know for sure that they don't get ANY rain, but all our friends in Colorado do is brag about how the sun shines every single day and when it rains it comes down for 10 minutes and it's over.

I love a good rainy day (or two) and a good thunderstorm...and green. I need green foliage! The desert is beautiful but I could never live in it.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
I agree about needing rain. Spending as much time as I can in the woods I am always amazed on how lush the vegetation can be and that only comes from good doses of rain. I did a short stint with the service down in Yuma and even though I saw some of the most spectacular sunrises and sunsets in the desert I know I would not enjoy living in such an arid environment permanently.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
Vershire VT, to North Easton, MA this week. Anyone want to buy a house in Vershire?
Wife got a very significant increase. Our local VT elementary school had a 100% failure rate on the recent state science test, the school my daughter will be starting Kindergarten at in the fall is ranked(by test scores) 21 in MA. Bunch of HH Richardson buildings in town, commuter rail stop, plenty of green space for hiking, swimming etc. Job opportunities for myself, MA in a recession looks alot better than VT has during the last couple of years of boom. Target, Walmart, supermarkets etc all within a couple of miles. Bit warmer and a bunch sunnier to boot.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No it does vary. Mainly because of government size. VT is a big government state, which requires more heavy taxation than a state with less government programs.
I have to agree with quickdraw. You may not pay the taxes to the government directly in other states but you are still paying. Some states it is through higher car and/or home insurance, fees added on utilities, personal tax on vehicles, hurricane insurance, exterminators, etc. Its all relative.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have to agree with quickdraw. You may not pay the taxes to the government directly in other states but you are still paying. Some states it is through higher car and/or home insurance, fees added on utilities, personal tax on vehicles, hurricane insurance, exterminators, etc. Its all relative.
In Alaska I'll have no state taxes. No sales tax, no income tax, no property tax, no building permits, no building codes, no zoning. Hunting/fishing license fees are pretty comparable to VT for residents, even lower with the $5 combination license if you have below a certain income. Haven't checked vehicle fees but I'm ditching the car anyways. Low taxes: the benefits of a small-government state where the government largely stays out of your life (although good God don't get caught poaching up there, you'd think you murdered someone ). Actually, after a couple years when I qualify, they'll be paying me to live there (though it's really not much considering how expensive things are there, but my land will literally be paying for itself given the average PFD amount in recent years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont