Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,864,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
In Alaska I'll have no state taxes. No sales tax, no income tax, no property tax, no building permits, no building codes, no zoning. Hunting/fishing license fees are pretty comparable to VT for residents, even lower with the $5 combination license if you have below a certain income. Haven't checked vehicle fees but I'm ditching the car anyways. Low taxes: the benefits of a small-government state where the government largely stays out of your life (although good God don't get caught poaching up there, you'd think you murdered someone ). Actually, after a couple years when I qualify, they'll be paying me to live there (though it's really not much considering how expensive things are there, but my land will literally be paying for itself given the average PFD amount in recent years).
I lived in Alaska for over twenty-two years and got around quite a bit. If you have your health and are willing to really do without quite a bit of the normal things that people expect in life it may work. Do NOT expect to move to Alaska just to escape taxes. Yes, there are limited taxes and the PFD seems like a sugar plum, but the cost of living is HIGH and if you do decide to exist in the "bush" it may very well not remain an appealing way of life after a while. However, for those with the desire and ability to experience this I do encourage it, just leave yourself an escape mechanism because the vast majority of free souls who were lured there have ended up packing it up, some sooner and some later.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM

18,360 posts, read 26,554,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
I lived in Alaska for over twenty-two years and got around quite a bit. If you have your health and are willing to really do without quite a bit of the normal things that people expect in life it may work. Do NOT expect to move to Alaska just to escape taxes. Yes, there are limited taxes and the PFD seems like a sugar plum, but the cost of living is HIGH and if you do decide to exist in the "bush" it may very well not remain an appealing way of life after a while. However, for those with the desire and ability to experience this I do encourage it, just leave yourself an escape mechanism because the vast majority of free souls who were lured there have ended up packing it up, some sooner and some later.
That (bolded section) describes me. Been there done that in VT, though admittedly VT is less extreme, but I'm happy with little, and actually enjoy the work I'll need to do to stay alive...and yes I'll have a way to "escape" if that need arose.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,864,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That (bolded section) describes me. Been there done that in VT, though admittedly VT is less extreme, but I'm happy with little, and actually enjoy the work I'll need to do to stay alive...and yes I'll have a way to "escape" if that need arose.
Good luck and enjoy it because you you only live once. I will never regret my experiences up there, well, I must admit the Anchorage experience had some drawbacks. Just make sure you always leave something put aside should something arise that would make you want or need to leave there. With time and age your impressions and feelings will change. Right now my major goal is to be able to do the Appalachian Trail in a thru hike, but the lousy economy and rising expenses of day to day life keeps setting that back. I am willing to give up quite a bit, but certain life essentials must come first before embarking on such an endeavor.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 PM

18,360 posts, read 26,554,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Good luck and enjoy it because you you only live once. I will never regret my experiences up there, well, I must admit the Anchorage experience had some drawbacks. Just make sure you always leave something put aside should something arise that would make you want or need to leave there. With time and age your impressions and feelings will change. Right now my major goal is to be able to do the Appalachian Trail in a thru hike, but the lousy economy and rising expenses of day to day life keeps setting that back. I am willing to give up quite a bit, but certain life essentials must come first before embarking on such an endeavor.
Yep, I'm going to have something set aside so I can leave if needed. Maybe when I get old it won't be so appealing a place or lifestyle, we'll see. Good luck with the Appalachian Trail, don't put that off too long, it's a lot of walking I hear...

Old 01-08-2009, 01:12 PM

119 posts, read 565,493 times
I am behind in my reading and just saw the posts about the South. I do have to defend my new neighbors. From my experience when asked what Church you belong to it is just a way of starting a conversation. Inviting you to their church is a way of being friendly and welcoming. When they do not invite me I think they do not like me! I have been here for six months and have never felt like someone was trying to convert me to their beliefs. When invited I just thank them for the invitation. Isn't if funny how we all have misconceptions about different parts of the country. Ask folks what they think about Vermonters and flatlanders.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM

43 posts, read 138,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You know the temptation to move south is nice (warmer) but that Bible Belt mentality drives me mad. I have nothing against church folks--good for them--but at least up here no one cares what religion you are or if you go to church or if you worship a tree or the stars.

You don't get a lot of that down south, as far as I know.

Also, if I lived in the south I would weigh about 300 lbs because I love chicken, biscuits, corn bread and all that other delicious southern cooking!!

Imagine being a Yankee non church goer. You'd have half the town hating you, the other half trying to convert you.
we live it. everyday. and we're jews! hahahahah!!!

vermont? vermont? can i come home now? i miss you so!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,141,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmama! View Post
we live it. everyday. and we're jews! hahahahah!!!

vermont? vermont? can i come home now? i miss you so!!!

LOL! Yes, you are beckoned to make aliyah to Vermont.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM

43 posts, read 138,985 times
LOL! my husband and i can't wait to come back. 17 months to go. i want to go back home to middlebury, dh thinks rutland....we shall see. it all depends on "the job"

in all honesty, i don't care where...as long as i have my green license plates back, i'm close to my family, and can dive into a container of maple syrup!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,101,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperpatr View Post
I am behind in my reading and just saw the posts about the South. I do have to defend my new neighbors. From my experience when asked what Church you belong to it is just a way of starting a conversation. Inviting you to their church is a way of being friendly and welcoming. When they do not invite me I think they do not like me! I have been here for six months and have never felt like someone was trying to convert me to their beliefs. When invited I just thank them for the invitation. Isn't if funny how we all have misconceptions about different parts of the country. Ask folks what they think about Vermonters and flatlanders.
Like I said, I was not out to insult anyone. I have met many fine Southern people.

Sugarmama, where in the south do you live? Not Florida, right?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,784,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post

We'll probably head to N.C. We have family there, the weather is great except for during the hottest summer months and taxes are low. My BIL pays $1,200 a year for a 5,000-square-foot McMansion in Cary. We'll probably be able to buy a modest little home with cash and pay a few hundred a year in taxes.
You have heard what Cary stands for:

Containment Area for Retired Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont