Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:19 PM

319 posts, read 965,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Well, California has wildfires, earthquakes and landslides. The midwwest and south have tornadoes. The Pacific Northwest is very rainy and it has volcanoes. And it is also due for a major rupture of the Cascadia fault, which lies just offshore. When that happens there will be a huge earthquake, and there will be a tsunami with little warning. The Memphis area has the New Madrid fault system, which is due for another quake. Last time, in 1812, the quakes made the Mississippi River flow backwards. New York City is too crowded. Alaska is dark all winter and I think it has the highest rape rate in the country.

There are lots of places I haven't seen, but so far, I kind of like living in Vermont. I don't think too many bad things happen here. Of course, if there is a radiation disaster at the Vermont Yankee nuke plant, I'll have to revise that statement. Assumng I'm still alive to do it.
ya i caught mt rainier than mt spur up here.waiting for the other shoe to drop.ak has probably 100 earth quakes a day.when i worked in dutch harbour it was constant saking of the ground.our population is so small sometimes it does seem like a scarry world up here.ps i think we are already having longer days than u.if not than soon.

Last edited by unconscious; 03-08-2009 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: speling no spelling is that it?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,802,728 times
Seismic Vermont:

Vermont

Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 PM

Default ok ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Seismic Vermont:

Vermont
vermont has more earth quakes then alaska bigger more powerfull what were we talking about i was distracted by an earth quake......

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,468 times
Earthquakes and tornadoes are the natural forces that I have feared the most as there is in the former no warning and in the latter the warning can come too late and there is no way to know what will be hit. We have all seen pictures on how one house has been reduced to kindling and the neighbor is unscathed. During my time Ak I experienced several strong quakes and will never live in an area with that high a threat level again. Vermont by virtue of our location is pretty fortunate to not be plagued by major natural threats. Flooding is historically the most significant threat and easily managed by not choosing to live in flood plain zones. As far as man made threats, the chances of the Yankee reactor having a catastrophic failure is extremely low and even less that significant radiation would breach containment if such a failure were to happen, but for those that have a fear and want to stay away that is understandable.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,201,492 times
Not sure if I already posted in this thread. In 2005, we moved to the Roanoke, Virginia area. It's quite similar to the Champlain Valley and Green Mountains topography where I spent the first 30 years of my life. Here is a photo taken from Mill Mountain, a mountain completely within city limits:

Roanoke is a bit larger than Burlington. Roanoke's job market is healthier, and the cost of living relative to Burlington is at least 25% lower. Roanoke benefits from a well integrated highway system so car commutes are somewhat shorter than in Burlington as well.

Housing prices would shock the native Vermonter. I just grabbed a Roanoke example. A house in city limits, walking distance to Grandin Village, for $199K:

Roanoke, VA, 24015 - MLS ID#742135 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

A less attractive smaller house in Burlington in a less convenient setting, for $315K:

143 North Prospect St, Burlington, VT, 05401 - MLS ID#2900636 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/143-North-Prospect-St_Burlington_VT_05401_1106126543?mp=1 - broken link)

To amplify the disparity, keep in mind that in Roanoke you'd pay $1,800/year in property taxes for the Roanoke example. You'd pay $5,600/year in property taxes for that Burlington house! Ouch! That's $300/month in property taxes back in your pocket. And your mortgage would be about $750/mo cheaper on top of that.

If you're a country person then you can get out into the country within 20-30 minutes from downtown Roanoke and you'll pay much lower land/home prices than you would 20-30 minutes from Burlington.

The Roanoke area is a much warmer USDA zone 7. If you garden your gardening season will be 2 months longer. You'll still have four seasons, and some snow, but when it does snow, it melts off within 1-3 days. And you'll get a proper Spring with jaw dropping flowering trees from mid-March through May:

Want to go for a walk...? on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/weaselmcfee/2363576042/ - broken link)

Roanoke turned out to be the perfect choice for us. We love a Vermont summer, we just wanted more of it. Three months of winter is tolerable, and we have a proper Spring that lasts 3 months, followed by a summer that lasts about 3 months, and so on.

And if you think you'd miss fall foliage season, then think again. Here is a webcam image from my "cahas mountain cam" taken last November 5th:

Roanoke isn't prone to tornadoes (1 small one every 25 years?) or severe ice storms. Not in the path of hurricanes either.

Hope this helps.

Sean

Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM

914 posts, read 4,451,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Gypsy, have you ever considered the West coast? I know it would be far from your family in NY, but actually, it's only a five-hour plane ride away. I was thinking of Oregon. It is similar to Vermont in some ways, but seems to have a better job market, even these days.
I moved here from Oregon, and grew up there. Oregon definitely does not have a better job market right now. Really. It is horrible. You will make more money if you do (hypothetically) get a job there, but the chances of that, unfortunately, are very slim unless you are an in an extremely specialized field.

I think the next place I want to live is Minneapolis. No reason, really, I just have not done a midwestern city yet. Also, I like harsh winters.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM

894 posts, read 1,564,724 times
VA looks very nice. South Boston suburbs are good for now, but I'd love VA weather seems about perfect friendly to business. I have heard the speeding enforcement/fines are atrocities in VA.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,802,728 times
Beautiful country SeanPecor. Absolutely lovely!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,201,492 times
The harsh speeding fines in Virginia were repealed not long after they were put in place.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Default 10.00hr????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, that would be ideal, if it could be done. Leaving VT in November, coming back maybe in April.

The trouble is having a job that allows you to save enough $$ so you can live the snowbird lifestyle. Making $10/hr will not do it.
no way.....were the h... can i make that much an hour your just braggin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont